twisted moon's 2023

symphonicpoet

^Heh!

^^I'm rather a fan of both Ramshackle and the food container terrain. Haven't tried TTCombat yet, but they do look good in your pic. Keep it up. Hope the battle report is forthcoming! :)

twisted moon

Hope the battle report is forthcoming! :)
i didn't keep records to write a battle report, but since you asked i've posted the scenario.
unexpectedly, the punks ended up winning, with only one loss (a kill) of their own.
it was the first time we'd played streetfighters, but we enjoyed the system, although i realise i may have misinterpreted the blast away results by giving each equal rating. i need to count up the number of each type of chit and may have to reconsider the probabilities as a result.

twisted moon

no problem. i also forgot the comment, on your previous post, that ttcombat are also pretty good value.
last summer (2022) gw were recasting some of their older skaven figures. since i had a voucher to spend, i picked up the original vermin lord.

Vermin Lorda.jpg

i've painted him as my entry for this years golden gobbo.

Vermin Lordb.jpg

which means i've painted all th(re)e figures from that order. i got another voucher this year, and placed an order, but haven't made a start on those yet.

Skaven demons2.jpg

here's the vermin lord alongside the lesser daemons i converted in 2020.

twisted moon

thank you.
i'm easing myself gently into orctober with this single warrior with two-handed weapon.

Orc Zweihander4a.JPG

as you may recall, i repurposed my foundry / warmonger mercenary orcs and ogres for rogue trader. that left gaps in some units of the (fantasy) blue moon crew. this figure recompletes my two-handed weapon unit.

Orc Zweihander4b.JPG

i got him in a trade with mophus.

twisted moon

i got the oathmark goblin set when it first came out, only to discover they're substantially bigger than your average goblin. i'm using them as hobgoblins instead.

Hobgoblin archers1a.jpg

a couple of the head options come with hair; notably the one on the right is used as is. the one next to him has sculpted hair, but i added a milliput ponytail. the others are entirely my efforts with milliput.

Hobgoblin archers1b.jpg

i struggled to paint these, especially the faces, partly because my best brush had just lost its point, but mainly because the details are finer than i'm used to.
i'm debating whether to make them fully fledged members of the blue moon crew, or make them definitely & defiantly mercenaries with their own iconography.

Last edited:

Old Hob

The OM gobbos are one of the reasons I haven't done much Oldhammer over the last couple of years - they were my first foray into plastics and kitbashing and I thoroughly enjoyed the different aesthetic approach (most other companies have been ripping off the 'Kev Adams look' for decades. For clarity, I adore Kev's gobbos, but I'm not sure his imitators have ever quite captured the balance of mischief and menace which he does so well). I now have quite a horde of these.
I agree the detail is a lot 'softer' than classic lead. I think that on the armour a wash of Nuln Oil will be your friend, as it will help pick out that fine detail. Keep up the good work.
Right then, I'm off to find an old orc to paint so I can get one of them there shiny October badges!

ManicMan

mm.. I would say most companies I see don't copy the Kev Adams look.. though the main ones I've seen which do.. happen to be Kev Adams sculpts ^_^ but fair enough

Old Hob

What I mean to say is that most companies have, for many years, copied the GW/Warhammer aesthetic for orcs and goblins (which makes sense if they want to shift product to as wide a market as possible) and that the aesthetic developed to a great extent from the work of Kev Adams for Citadel (he is the Goblin Master for a reason). I'd probably include GW in this - they kept producing goblins in the same style, but without the same charm (for me anyway. I guess that's why I prefer Oldhammer to Warhammer's later incarnations). Anyway, I don't want to derail Twisted Moon's thread, so I'm happy to agree to disagree on this one.

Last edited:

ManicMan

^_^ fair enough. the current trend appears to be 'everything is human with bits stuck on'.. even Star Trek could do less human then some of the current flock of Orcs, Goblins, Elves etc.. (yes.. Elves aren't just humans with pointed ears....) some of the later goblins done in a semi-Kev Adams style.. yeah.. I can see what they are Trying but.. failing..

twisted moon

Keep up the good work.

thank you.

Anyway, I don't want to derail Twisted Moon's thread ...

so long as it's oldhammer related, feel free
i got the second half of the hobgoblin archer regiment finished.

Hobgoblin archers2a.jpg

i opted for more of the mercenary approach in the end.
i'm not sure if it's clear, but the banner / sign reads 'under contract'. it's made from a bit of lollipop stick attached to the banner pole from the kit.

Hobgoblin archers2b.jpg

the horn is also my own addition, milliput this time.

Hobgoblin archer unit.jpg

here's the finished unit in its entirety.
i didn't manage to get any painting done over the weekend, but did manage to assemble and undercoat the remaining twenty hobgoblins.
i might do my legacy warband contribution first though.

twisted moon

if you've been reading the legacy warbands thread, you'll have seen i did indeed paint my contribution but the varnish frosted and so i've had to strip it again. in the meantime i've been converting and painting more hobgoblins.
Hobgoblin spears1a.jpg

the rest of the box are going to form a spear unit.
Hobgoblin spears1b.jpg

the drum is a section of superglue nozzle with a milliput skin, the drumstick from the skaven plague monks sprue.
Hobgoblin spears2a.jpg

otherwise it's the same drill as before.
Hobgoblin spears2b.jpg

the final ten have the wash drying (slowly in the current atmospheric conditions) and will then need basing.

twisted moon

the last of the oathmark goblins box completes the spear unit.

Hobgoblin spears3a.jpg

not a lot to say that i haven't already.

Hobgoblin spears3b.jpg

i don't think i've mentioned that i used the thin plastic bases provided, but mounted them on some thickish card to bring them more in line with my usual slottabases.

Hobgoblin spears4a.jpg

i'm quite happy with the composition of my hobgoblin contingent now.

Hobgoblin spears4b.jpg

here's the full unit:

Hobgoblin spear unit.jpg

i find myself looking for modern, reasonably priced, renditions of a warlord on temple dog, along with a bodyguard mounted on yaks, so there may be some further additions one day. for the moment though i have, these spears, the ten archers and a rocket launcher crew (which is in a previous work in progress thread).

twisted moon

i managed to sneak these in before the end of orctober.

Orc Doc  & Patienta.jpg

an ork doktor and patient / cook and ingredients.

Orc Doc  & Patientb.jpg

the dok / chef is the last of my foundry (now warmonger) sculpts. i think the patient is an orc villager; i also think he came in one of those brown 'lucky dip' boxes i have written about before. the cauldron thingy is from the mantic ratkin warriors box, which contains two.

Orc Doc  & Patientc .jpg

i was initially intending to use the chef as part of the baggage train for my fantasy orcs. i've pondered a number of ideas for the villager over the thirty-five or so years i've had him. in the end i liked this idea for my sci-fi orks, so went with it.

Back