Metal Nostalgia Force painted models

And I just managed to get another one done by the end of the month! Female Warrior Gabs:

angry-griffin-warhammer-40k-rogue-trader-adventurer-female-warrior-gabs-painted-as-ultramarine-space-marine-vintage-citadel-games-workshop-metal-miniature-600x600.webp

angry-griffin-warhammer-40k-rogue-trader-adventurer-female-warrior-gabs-painted-as-ultramarine-space-marine-vintage-citadel-games-workshop-metal-miniature-2-600x600.webp

Thanks! I'm not happy with the stitches being as fat as they were but in the end I was finding the face pretty challenging to work with and decided to call it good and move on.

The end goal is to have a proper force but I’m being rather erratic in what order I paint things in so it’s not especially cohesive… yet.

Cheers! I had a go with an airbrush and it went better than expected. Sure as heck a lot easier than trying to do it via brush, which I never had much luck with.

ManicMan

^_^ I've almost finished the AHQ Warrior and I tried to do a gradient effect for the helmet feathers... well.. could have been far better but I don't airbrush. I know it's a better tool for gradients but... naw.. just isn't for me.

I have had one for years and have largely avoided using it because I wanted to practice brushwork rather than airbrushing… but a few months back I looked at how many minis I had in boxes to paint and my anticipated life expectancy and did a few calculations about how many I paint a year… then decided I had better break out the airbrush and get to learning so that undercoating and base coating could be done en masse and I could paint more of the fun stuff.

So I can undercoat or base coat maybe 50 minis in an hour now, which means I have almost every mini I own based and undercoated now and about 100 base coated. It sure is helping me get through more minis and now that I’m more confident in the airbrush I can see me breaking it out for other stuff like OSL from time to time.

I don’t think it’s as absorbing or relaxing as brushwork at all - at least not for me for mini painting, anyway.

i look forward to seeing it eventually.
Me too haha. About three years ago I was working on a campaign setting with a couple of other people as kind of a slow-grow thing; pulling units from a force of about 20 miniatures and a transport big enough to fit them all in. At the time I was trying to get into 8th Ed. and Primaris as a way of revisiting childhood nostalgia but I just didn't enjoy the new rules. After the others dropped the project I decided to keep on going but with more nostalgia, which kicked off picking up old metal models.

That kind of ballooned and I have had the vague aim of completing that core force ever since. However... I have wandered through so many "Oh, painting this would be cool next" minis that it can't be said it's a strong priority over just painting for fun!

I did in the last week start modifying a Stormraven to be a Storm Eagle as was the original plan and picked up some plasticard to help out with that. If I can pull that off the way I hope to I may well try to get the diorama backdrop and rest of the 20-strong force all done over the rest of the year and get a pic of the lot together.

Really depends on how many wrenches life throws in my hobby time plans!

EricF

Administrator
Some more lovely work. The power sword is very good, great OSL.

I say paint what takes your fancy! It avoids things turning into a chore.

Some more lovely work. The power sword is very good, great OSL.

I say paint what takes your fancy! It avoids things turning into a chore.

I flip flop on that one regularly - I feel like I should be doing more cohesive squads for squad photos and whatnot to do it "right" and avoid having squads made up of disparate styles but in the end I put that aside and just paint what takes my fancy.

I think doing that has certainly been good for my painting skill, since changing things up every few miniatures for something different has resulted in some good experimentation and learning processes.

Admittedly I haven't done a lot that isn't blue power armour for the last couple of months, I have two more I want to get done for the Ultramarines then I might try an old Eldar or Tyranid sculpt for something different...

EricF

Administrator
I think unless you are seriously gaming it makes sense, it's a hobby and supposed to be fun at the end of the day! I've got minis I started years ago that I know one day I'll suddenly feel like working on again. I keep thinking I must do the rest of my Squats, but the mood has yet to grab me and I've done more orcs of late.

Back