Metal Nostalgia Force painted models

It's blue shading - I started off with a blue kneepad and then had a go at gothic numbering, which didn't really take, then a skull that ended up being rather Orky, so I blocked this skull in all in white and worked the blue shadows in from there.

Cheers! I guess either approach would have worked there - perhaps building up from blue would have been more forgiving, as it's certainly easier to return to a dark blue than a white after a mistake!

Thanks!

I painted a Satyr Studios oldhammer sculpt:

angry-griffin-satyr-studios-painted-sister-female-space-marine-ultramarines-vetus-pattern-backpack-jpg.webp

Was a great sculpt to work with - I can highly recommend picking up anything from Drew there that takes your fancy, they're great sculpts.

The backpack is a sculpt of my own in an attempt to make something that was compatible with the Oldhammer aesthetic.

symphonicpoet

Love what you did with the SatyrArt Marine. Those are great sculpts and I need to get off my duff and get a few of them in paint.

Thanks guys. I'm keen to get more of those Satyr sculpts done but I have found an old Chaos Renegade I always wanted to paint so he'll be the next cab off the rank...

Thanks guys! I have this sculpt from when I bought it new in '98 or so waiting to be stripped (after photos taken!) and repainted and this guy was kind of a test subject for repainting him... pretty nostalgic about those old sniper scouts, they were some of the few blisters I bought back then.

symphonicpoet

The sniper/scout looks great. When the first space marine scouts came out they had the look of grizzled special forces veterans who'd been in the jungle just a little too long about them; like Edson's Raiders (to which unit I have a family connection) or Merrill's Marauders. Carrying enemy weapons, because maybe the like them better, and always half naked and completely dangerous. Your fellow has that look about him. I always liked that vision better than the "recruits" they turned them into later. Your fellow looks competent, determined, and very very dangerous. I like him.

Thanks guys!

The sniper/scout looks great. When the first space marine scouts came out they had the look of grizzled special forces veterans who'd been in the jungle just a little too long about them; like Edson's Raiders (to which unit I have a family connection) or Merrill's Marauders. Carrying enemy weapons, because maybe the like them better, and always half naked and completely dangerous. Your fellow has that look about him. I always liked that vision better than the "recruits" they turned them into later. Your fellow looks competent, determined, and very very dangerous. I like him.

I really liked that feel you describe of the early scouts - and I think the plastic ones that came after these guys really lost that completely.

Got another one done last night - Brother Holt:

angry-griffin-metal-rogue-trader-space-marine-brother-holt-with-flamer-painted-as-ultramarine-games-workshop-warhammer-40k-oldhammer-vintage-miniature-citadel-600x600.webp

Thanks! It’s kind of a shame that his left eye got squashed at some point but he’s battered enough that another metal plate makes sense visually.

Back