• Welcome to the Golden Gobbo painting competition. If you'd like to read some of the ancient history you can on the Realm of Chaos 80s blog.

This competition is held some years and you'll find threads here describing how to enter and when the competition is running (typically after BOYL each year).

Other than the fame and wonderment of your peers there is often a prize kindly donated and you'll have the wonder of being awarded badges for your profile here.

GG 2023 Golden Gobbo 2023

Loose Loser

Got this fella in Zombie lot of his superiors ( More Lees then ever ). Never liked those C18 Zombies. But this one is nice even I thought that it's the worse of them all ( So I guess others would be also fun to paint ). Never was a fan of gore galore and specially never was a fan of "all blood" zombies, so that was the reason I never liked C18 or those much later plastic Zombies. Funny thing was that I was searching what to paint and I didn't have feeling for anything. This chap was undercoated so I was thinking to give it a spin. Tried out base that I liked on few Chaos minis that I've painted ( except I switched base lip colour from Loren Forest to Elysian Green, those are all new colours from Citadel ). Blast! I think I'll source few more of these C18 Zombies. Also, this base manner will be official base setup ( even I'm fan of all out green and I don't like static grass ) for my Undead ( so I can finally catch my tail ).

So, enough of fluff stuff.

Finally I have ( to the decent side ) photos! Colours are true. Base lip is gorgeous!

Will take better images once I find camera's stand but Justin Case I'll submit these.

Rotstagger the C(areless)18.

Rotstagger-1.png

Rotstagger-2.png

Fimm McCool

Never was a fan of gore galore and specially never was a fan of "all blood" zombies, so that was the reason I never liked C18 or those much later plastic Zombies.

Me neither, can't be doing with slasher movie type nastiness. You've done a nice job of making this a 'clean' gory zombie. :)

Loose Loser

Cheers,

I do have few of those 5th edition plastics so I'll paint them as I did this one or those 4th metals. Box photo of those 5th edition ones is bloody as it gets. Do even Zombies bleed as they shouldn't have that fresh blood colour I think ( they tone it down a lot in later box photos but paint them in few colours ).

I do like this rotten look, more then that freshly dead so I don't use that blood red type of colour but dark red, purple, blue etc.

ManicMan

depending on your fiction and source.. yes.. (Are you going for a Zombie (which is a Vodun (VooDoo) for a puppet-like animated Corpse, where they wouldn't really have blood as it's just being controlled like a puppet), or a Vampire (based on Richard Matheson's "I am Legend", which was then used for the 'Ghouls' in George Romero's "night of the Living Dead" which later things base Zombies on, but.. yeah.. Romero's were Ghouls, based on Vampires in Matheson's work..) in which case they are 'unliving' so need a working or semi-working blood system, thus the need to feed etc. why they are mostly slow moving and stuff) ^_^;

inchmurrin

This is my submission yet another centaur variation. I've had this in mind for a while it is a combination of the torso of a damaged C34 Gore-Strom Mankiller minotaur lord and the body of the Nick Bibby DS2 Dragon Ogre though mine came from a dragon that was the original source of the sculpt. The tail is my first attempt at a sculpted one based on an armature as I didn't have the tail or wings for the dragon, I passed the head on to someone who had a more complete dragon years ago. I haven't got any background for him yet.

1138701124_o.jpg

1138701128_o.jpg

1138701131_o.jpg

As always comments and criticism encouraged.

EricF

Administrator
I decided I wasn't going to have time to do the model I had in mind, given in the last month or so I've only managed to get some skin basetone down. So I had a rummage for a simpler model and found this little resin wizard chap. I've no idea quite where I picked him up from, but he seemed like fun. So one simple paint job later and some sparkly gold stars and that'll do for my entry this year! I shall call getting a model entered enough of a win for me! :)

wizard.jpg

And the shots without background and from all sides:
wizard-01.jpgwizard-02.jpgwizard-03.jpgwizard-04.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, always liked the C46 milita although I've never owned any alas. Pinstripes are always good, one day I'll risk some myself!
Thanks Eric, I’m sure your pinstriping would be great :)
And yes the C46 militia are great, but definitely a daunting task getting ahold of enough to make up a unit (30-60?!)

Back