• Welcome to the Golden Gobbo painting competition. If you'd like to read some of the ancient history you can on the Realm of Chaos 80s blog.

This competition is held some years and you'll find threads here describing how to enter and when the competition is running (typically after BOYL each year).

Other than the fame and wonderment of your peers there is often a prize kindly donated and you'll have the wonder of being awarded badges for your profile here.

GG 2023 Golden Gobbo 2023

Fimm McCool

BOYL is done and dusted so it's time to be thinking about those GG23 entries!

RULES AND SUBMISSION INFO FOR THE GOLDEN GOBBO COMPETITION 2023-

What is it?
The Golden Gobbo is a low-key, free-and-easy painting competition with 'competition' being quite a loose term.

What can I enter?
You can enter ONE BASE. It doesn't matter how many figures are on it or what they are but the restriction is ONE GAMING BASE ( MDF, home-cut and resin bases are OK but must be one of the regular gaming base sizes, no foot square dioramas! You can mount your base on a plinth if you like.)
Small vignettes/dioramas, terrain, big monsters etc. are ok provided you can make them fit on any regular sized gaming base.

How long have I got?
You have until midnight on the 30th November to submit your entry.

How do I submit?
Post at least one picture of the base and its contents with a plain background in this thread. You can include a bit of back story if you like and can submit as many extra pictures as you like, including backgrounds if you wish. If you submit loads of pictures we'll streamline them for the voting thread.

How does judging work?
Once entries are closed I will create a voting thread on this forum board. Members of the forum can vote for their favourite entry, most votes wins. Voting will close at midnight on the 12th December.

Do I win anything?
Yes. I mean, that's not really the point, but of course you can't have a competition without prizes! There's the respect and admiration of your peers but I will also find a suitable trophy and item for the top three entries.

Good luck!

ManicMan

I think I'm happy enough with my skills to give it a go this year ^_^ should have some random figures turning up this week so might have a bit of inspiration there.

Fimm McCool

My entry for Golden Gobbo 2023. A dwarf fighter.

Backstory :

As the gobbos charged towards him with their chaotic energy, Drengi's grip tightened around the hilt of his battle-worn axe. His eyes narrowed, focusing on each of the six cackling figures. The memory of his fallen kin and the pride of his dwarven heritage fueled his determination. He would not allow these greenskins to defile his honor.

View attachment 9153

Um, but you are planning to actually paint it, right? Maybe save the submission photo for once it's more than just undercoated?

Zanko

Member of the High Council of Uzkulak
I haven't participated in the Golden Gobbo yet and looking at last year's pictures, I doubt I'll get even one vote! But if I find a suitable miniature, I will participate anyway.

Old Hob

Hi Fimm,
I'm very tempted to join in this year. Can I just check, does the miniature have to be vintage lead or will a miniature that's Oldhammer in spirit be OK?
Ta.

ManicMan

started painting my figure... it's currently being stripped because.. I really didn't like where it was going... knew I probably should have gone for obverse stereotype..

MaDdwarF

My entry for GG2023 a fighter, :) Hope you guys like it! Really fun to paint dawis again after a loooooooooooong break. Not quite sure what year he's from etc.

Backstory :

As the gobbos charged towards him with their chaotic energy, Drengi's grip tightened around the hilt of his battle-worn axe. His eyes narrowed, focusing on each of the six cackling figures. The memory of his fallen kin and the pride of his dwarven heritage fueled his determination. He would not allow these greenskins to defile his honor.

20230828_182300.jpg20230828_182253.jpg

Back