twisted moon's 2024

Machen

I can see from your miniatures that you're an Alternative Armies fan. This is a really impressive terrain project.

symphonicpoet

Looking good twisted moon. Those Culverin models look nice on your table. I keep looking at some of their tanks. That'll be a heck of a table when you're done. :)

twisted moon

and at some point, you are gonna have to sort out a big enough free table space for a look at them set up.
i gave a bit of a preview on 11th march.
I can see from your miniatures that you're an Alternative Armies fan.
i like my collection to be reasonably eclectic and aa have some nice ranges.
This is a really impressive terrain project.
thank you.
Looking good twisted moon. That'll be a heck of a table when you're done. :)
thank you too.
Those Culverin models look nice on your table. I keep looking at some of their tanks.
i think there's still a few days on their 20% off sale, so now's the time.

meanwhile, i've painted the ghosts i didn't manage in deadcember, due to the weather preventing spray painting.

Ghosts6a.JPG

a gw voucher (i've forgotten which one) caused me to get these ubiquitous glaivewraith stalkers, which really needed a spray undercoat due to their tortuous construction / sculpting.

Ghosts6b.JPG

i was under the impression the figure in the middle was the last of my essex miniatures order, but i can't see it on their website. my fallback option was alternative armies, but i can't see it there either.

ManicMan

he's an Asgard 'Psionic Flayer', so should be on the Alternative armies site.. checking, yep.. FM46, page two of there Asgard fantasy range ^_^

Padre

Spooky! An eery and sickly sort of colour.

I turned those models into a 'counts as', square based, Cairnwraiths for our WFB 8th campaign ...

1tVmEXc.jpg

twisted moon

they look good.
i've got all my ethereal undead on 25mm round bases. as such i didn't use the ones provided with the glaivewraith stalkers kit, which i think are 32mm. i was hoping to be able to remove them from the molded terrain, but it was apparent that would be an extreme test of my skills for limited gain.

Padre

I managed to remove enough of the terrain to get them on 20mm bases. I had to think very hard about how to orientate them though, to get them to rank up.

twisted moon

some space pirates armed for close quarters action and a guard for the legacy warband challenge.

Space pirates 1a.jpg

a metal alternate stars figure from alternative armies on the left.

Space pirates 1b.jpg

the others are mash-ups of plastic frostgrave barbarians and stargrave mercenaries / troopers. i've cut the legs and bodies apart and mismatched them for the pirates, then added heads and arms to taste.
the guard is a barbarian body with mercenary arms and head.
currently i'm considering the priates to have carapace armour all round and (from left to right) shotgun pistol, shotgun pistol and knife, auto-pistol and two daggers, heavy bolter, hand weapon and knife.

Space pirates 1 scenic.jpg

here they are on an isolated asteroid about to raid a research facility.

twisted moon

an addition to my kaiserzwerge navy.

Dwarf submarine1a.jpg

steam 19 the nautica from ironclad miniatures with blotz hatch and ice cream stick name plates.

Dwarf submarine1b.jpg

i had intended to scratch build a submarine based on the spray bottle build by miniature hobbyist, but wasn't too convinced by my mock up, particularly around the conning tower.

Dwarf submarine1c.jpg

instead i asked for this for my birthday last month.

Dwarf submarine1d.jpg

named the diving beetle to complement my paddle steamer, the water beetle. i extrapolated the dwarven runes from those in dwarfs: stone and steel.

Dwarf submarine1e.jpg

a scale shot. in pirates 3! terms i think i'll class it as an orca, medium submarine as the small ones (sharks if i recall correctly) hunt in pairs.

Dwarf submarine1f.jpg

and here it is alongside said paddle steamer, which will be classed as an ironclad of some sort.
hoping to get a game of pirates 3! in this sunday.

symphonicpoet

Oh fun! Great use of that Ironclad Miniatures sub. Has a very nice, steam-dwarf look about it. I've even been tempted by their tanks for 40K, on occasion. (I figure a few of them could make suitable frontier transport for some sort of revivalist preacher or other.)

twisted moon

Those Culverin models look nice on your table. I keep looking at some of their tanks.
Great use of that Ironclad Miniatures sub. I've even been tempted by their tanks for 40K, on occasion.
do i detect a pattern emerging?

some more space pirates today.

Space pirates 2a.jpg

on the left are another couple of frostgrave barbrian / stargrave mercenary kitbashes, then three diehard miniatures.

Space pirates 2b.jpg

catweasel has a stub gun, knife and handweapon, reed a stub gun and knife, sister vigilance and drew each have a stub gun and chainaxe, (counts as chainsword), tanta-4 is a bombot.

Space pirates scenic.jpg

here's the whole crew together.
i got some money for my birthday, hence the diehard miniatures purchases. more to come at some point.
i also got a gw voucher; anyone know when the new skaven are due to be released?

twisted moon

having a game of pirates!3 caused me to finally sort out the sails for my ratman ships, which i'd painted many years ago (long before i started posting on here, probably before the forum started).

Ratman Galley1a.jpg

the rules distinguish between full, half and no sail for the purposes of speed and the models come with sail templates, which i've scanned and printed.

Ratman Galley1b.jpg

the box set came with a sloop and gunship, which are crewed by my undead.

Ratman Galliot1a.jpg

i picked up this galliot and galley separately from gamers' quest, who used to be the uk distributors.

Ratman Galliot1b.jpg

i might shorten the masts, but this does allow for easy crew movement on deck.

Padre

Very cool. Do you know if the models are available now? If so, do you also know where from?

I have some model boats (charity shop purchases and a cigar box rush job) but nowhere near as good as those re: space for models. The best I could do for a recent video which needed a shot of a ratmen ship were 'film-set' style mock ups of the rowers on a galley and the engine inside a steam ship ...

up90drI.jpg

DMPq17U.jpg

Actually having whole ships for them, and even perhaps getting a naval battle into the campaign, would be great!

twisted moon

Very cool. Do you know if the models are available now? If so, do you also know where from?
thank you.
i don't think they are. they were manufuctured by flagship games, who shut up shop a few years ago. there was talk that they sold their ranges, but i've heard nothing to suggest anyone has brought these ships and associated ordnance back. which is a shame.

some fantasy miscellenia next.

Fantasy creatures1a.jpg

reaper bones basilisk and a couple of giant centipedes, a diehard miniatures cockatrice and a wargames foundry / warmonger miniatures faerie.

Fantasy creatures1b.jpg

the faerie may become a familiar for my other wood elf / sidhe magician. the others are primarily for use as random creatures in frostgrave.

Back