Andrew's Oldhammer Project Log

ardyer

It’s been a long time with no update! I’ve been trying to get stuff complete for Oldhammer Day USA, and I’ve finally finished what I wanted to get done.

Dark Elf general on cold one (thanks tf riley for the cold one!):

Repeater bolt thrower (thanks to Bug16 for the bolt thrower!):

10 woman unit of Witch Elves:

5 man unit of Cold One Knights. I am not very happy with how they came out:

And finally, a HeroQuest skeleton as I’m starting to get my set ready since my kids are almost old enough:

Scalene

Nice skin tone on the dark elves. Much better than the classic bright blue. Personally I've always used white.

Rob_S

The coldone rider at the top is a ripper! Pick of the bunch for me.

I think the heroquest skele needs another wash around the spine and mouth as those details just aren't popping.

ardyer

Rob_S":1u7pc7d6 said:
I think the heroquest skele needs another wash around the spine and mouth as those details just aren't popping.

I was thinking the same after I saw the picture. My eyes can't seen to see some of these details without magnification!

ardyer

This forum needs a multi-quote!

mbh":122qtgb3 said:
very nice

I can't see anything wrong with the cold ones

I hate the way the shields came out and the cold ones lack contrast. Plus I should have done the underbelly a different shade but they were already on their bases so it would have been a royal pain to paint (a lesson learned when painting the General, who's cold one was not based when I painted him!)

Obscure Creator":122qtgb3 said:
Stitched shield on the raider is a POINT! ;)
Thanks, the efforts I will go to to avoid complex freehand on large blank shields!

Rob_S":122qtgb3 said:
The coldone rider at the top is a ripper! Pick of the bunch for me.
Thanks, I'm much happier with him than the unit. A little bit of time researching lizards helped too!

Con-fusion

The general is damned fine. The other cold ones are kind of flat compared to the skin tones on the general's. Your flesh tones have really pulled out the facial expressions.

The scythe on the skeleton is great, but the skeleton itself needs more contrast in the areas where the detail gets small (teeth and spine especially).

I can't wait to see these guys at the end of the month.

ardyer

My first 6 Heroquest skeletons:

And 6 Heroquest Mummies:

And because there are some Epic fans here, 2 epic Chimeras:

Not really happy with the mummies, the same trick that I found that made the skeletons really fast left the mummies really rough. But, otherwise, I'm glad to have them done!

Darkblade

Great job on the heroquest stuff. I suspect that I may not be alone in this but that was one of the first purchases in gaming.

ardyer

Just finished these 4 epic thunderbolts. I apologize for the poor quality pictures, but I lack flight stands at the moment so that made me lazy!

ardyer

Naagruz":2pb3lb7s said:
Nice Thunderbolts!
You cross-post on TacComs at all? It's a really great spot for anything Epic. :)

No, but I've been looking for a good epic forum for a few ideas, so I'll have to check it out.

ardyer

Long time, no update! Over the course of Christmas and January I’ve finished up quite a few things as I try to complete projects before my next kid is born.

First up, I finished up the last of the undead from HeroQuest and the Return of the Witch King expansion:

All in all, that gives me 12 Skeletons, 4 Mummies, and 6 Zombies.

I also finished off enough epic stuff to field my Epic Marine as Epic Dark Angles.

The predators are a little bit boring, but I couldn’t get up the nerve to try any freehand.

Oh, and I finished the bases for the Thunderbolts.

zoggin-eck

Really fun Dark elves you have, I can't believe I've never commented on them before! The one with purple scale-mail on page 9 is my favourite.

ANything Epic is cool, too :)

Back