the ventolin pirate's made some friends

EricF

Administrator
I think I may be tempted to acquire the set. I did download the demo model and printed it today if anyone wants to see one alongside a more familiar friend for scaling.

pirate_marine_scale.jpg

twisted moon

that print looks great.
i've contacted scalene to express an interest in physical copies. apparently he needs at least 30 people to make it worthwhile; he had five a week and a half ago.

Sleepysod

I wonder how common 3d printers are in the community these days? Who on here has one? Is the technology that good these days or is it still early days/wait and see?

I don’t have one, but have bought excellent quality resin prints on Etsy. There’s some interesting stuff out there. People’s miniature renditions of the Nuln spearman plus buddies, figures from the Mordheim and RT artwork etc.

diesel monkey, who used to frequent these here parts, has printed some good quality stuff for his own use.

EricF

Administrator
I wonder how common 3d printers are in the community these days? Who on here has one? Is the technology that good these days or is it still early days/wait and see?
I've a couple of resin 3D printers. Generally quality out of the box is acceptable for tabletop gaming. I wouldn't say it's quite ready for mainstream "click and print" - you still need to be interested in "3D printing" as a thing and happy to deal with some of the faff involved to get the best out of them.

Fimm McCool

I won't have anything digitally sculpted or 3d printed on my shelves out of principle but I fully expect it to take over the market in the next 5 years and run most traditional manufacturers out of business. Then put the 3d print companies out of business when their IP is out there and completely unprotected from mass-sharing.

EricF

Administrator
It's certainly a time of change.

On balance I prefer traditionally sculpted minis because I think they have more character to them as an artefact of the physical process. Obviously a lot of minis are computer sculpted now, masters printed on more serious kit and then cast so that's a bit of a middle ground creation wise.

Hard to predict how businesses will fair. Those that won't pay are quite possibly the sort that won't pay for other things today and would happily get re-casts, PDF scans, torrented movies, etc, etc. It may well be that most people are happy to purchase if the the prices are sensible and that is the easier route. I think there is some hope that good creators will continue to receive business if their pricing is realistic, but times are bound to be tough :(

Yes, I hope that the good creators will be OK. The support that the community is giving to some via platforms like Patreon and Ko-fi is a good omen, I think.

ManicMan

I prefer hand sculpted, BUT with the right modeller (you can change your own type of modeling, be it digtal clay or other methods) a digitally designed mini can be just as good. I will say that the computer is far more forgiving if you make a mistake, and allows you to be able to do stuff in a range of scales.

However, there are... erm.. tons of crap stuff really, where they mostly just download a digital dolly, stick some pre-made items on it and claim it's their own work ¬_¬ plus alot of people who either just use a 3d scanner, do the clean up and try to sell off .. well, they aren't remolds but pretty much the same thing..

I only have a FDM printer (Was looking into getting a resin but I just don't have anywhere I can have it running). While i have done the odd mini (can get suprising good within reason and you don't expect too high) It's better for other things like terrian and stuff. My 3D modelling skills are limited but good enough for the printer.

Problem with all things digital, there are alot of people who just steal and either don't get caught, or people just don't care.. same happens in non-digital really when you think of all the crap metal heroquest recasts (casting the softer plastics in metal? why? pointless.. atleast knock-off the prototypes... not that i'm saying to do that..)

symphonicpoet

I usually greatly prefer hand sculpted, but I'm willing to buy a few 3D prints. Those Ventolin pirates are some of the nicest I've seen. A friend has a bunch. (And some of the space skeletons too.) I'm willing to have them on my table, though I haven't quite bought them yet. Been mightily tempted.

Great idea and work.

Does Dr Mathias know that he inspired you? I’m sure he’d be pleased to know this. I don’t know if he’s a member here but he’s very active over on the Lead Adventure Forum.

EricF

Administrator
Yep my willpower collapsed this morning and Aidan has kindly sent some STLs my way. I might even fire up the printer this afternoon so watch this space ...

Dr Mathias is indeed a member here: @DrMathias

EricF

Administrator
Well the first print of pirates went without a hitch...

pirates.jpg

They are very lovely sculpts. Hopefully when I've fixed my airbrush and got some primer on them I can post some better pictures.

twisted moon

i'm getting a 403 Forbidden message from the link i posted, and warfactory more generally. is it just me, or are others struggling to connect too?

Back