WFB3 The Relief of Geoid Mine

Warhammer Fantasy Battle 3rd Edition

twisted moon

The Relief of Geoid Mine
a WFB3 scenario by the dark knight of the twisted moon

There have been no communications from Geoid Mine for several weeks, and now the expected ore delivery is overdue. A relief column, under the command of a Forger of Enchantry, has been sent to investigate.
Upon arrival they discover the miners are under siege from a raiding party of hated goblinoids. Battle must be joined to relieve the mine and resecure the valuable mineral resources.

I had my first game versus a real, live, opponent in a very long time on sunday. I whipped up this simple scenario using as close to Warhammer Armies legal minimums as my collection allows. The main divergence is the replacement of Dwarf Crossbows for Thunderers. I also declared that the wizards could choose to disassociate from units despite their lowly level.

Dwarves – 769 pts

Dwarves are subject to Hatred of Goblinoids.

1 Sapper – 12 pts.
Grenades.

5 Sappers – 75 pts.
Hand weapon, Double-handed weapon, Light armour.

Forger of Enchantry (Level 10 Wizard) – 128 pts
Hand weapon Parrying Blade.

Magic points: 6

Spells: Cause Animosity - 2 mp, Destroy Undead - 2 mp, Dispirit - 2 mp, Hide - 3 mp, Immunity from Poison - 1 mp, Strength of Combat - 1 mp.

20 Warriors – 242 pts.
Hand weapon, Light armour, Shield, Leader, Standard, Musician.

20 Warriors – 264 pts.
Equipment: Hand weapon, Spear, Light armour, Shield, Leader, Standard, Musician.

10 Thunderers – 156 pts.
Hand weapon, Arquebus, Light armour, Leader, Standard, Musician.

10 Thunderers – 156 pts.
Hand weapon, Arquebus, Light armour, Leader, Standard, Musician.

Goblinoids – 748 pts

The whole army is Subject to Animosity.

20 Boyz – 204 pts
Hand weapon, Light armour, Shield, Leader, Standard, Musician.

20 Arrer Boyz – 231 pts
Hand weapon, Bow, Light armour, Shields, Leader, Standard, Musician.

Goblins are subject to Hatred of Dwarves.

Level 10 Goblin Wizard – 61 pts
Hand weapon, Magical Woad.

Magic points: 12

Spells: Cause Animosity - 2 mp, Fireball - 1 mp, Hammerhand - 2 mp, Immunity from Poison - 1 mp, Part Water - 2 mp, Summon Undead Champion - 3 mp.

5 Wulfboyz – 54 pts
Hand weapon, Shields, Leader, Standard.

20 Stickas – 70 pts
Hand weapon, Short bow, Leader, Standard, Musician.

30 Gobbos – 128 pts
Hand weapon, Light armour, Shields, Leader, Standard, Musician.

The table is 4'x4'. 12" of road is flanked by woods as is 12" of river. The river is unpassable except via the bridge. The hill is difficult ground and blocks line of sight. There are various hedges and low hillocks scattered around.

The Sappers set up in the Mine or associated workings. They can deploy 6" worth of makeshift defences around this area as they see fit.
The rest of the Dwarven force set up along the road.

The Goblinoids pulled back their siege upon the arrival of the relief column and now deploy on the edge opposite the main Dwarf force up to 8" in from the table edge.

The Dwarves are seeking to drive off the Goblinoids, or at least reach the mine before >50% of the Sappers have become casualties.

I played the Goblinoids and was soundly beaten. Not helped by my Orc archers failing an animosity test on the first turn and subsequently charging the Goblin melee unit which contained the General. On Turn 3 the General decided he was better served moving to another unit, but was killed by Thunderer fire before he managed to do so. The Orc archers and Goblin melee unit then both routed off the table! My Wolf Riders routed the other unit of Thunderers but unfortunately (but near inevitably) followed them off the table. My Orc melee unit fought the Dwarven hand weapon unit, routed and rallied, before eventually routing them from the table, and passing their test not to follow them, but then decided to leave the scene of battle in good order when they turned and saw what opposition still faced them.
My opponent enjoyed himself, so job done, and we're hopefully having a small Rogue Trader game this Sunday.

Attachments

• The Relief of Geoid Mine.jpg
    The Relief of Geoid Mine.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 463
Back