Shields with holes (Metal Nub posts)

ManicMan

Okay, one of the older format used in the late 80s for alot of Citadel figures was to have a metal nub for the shield to attach. The shield was then plastic with a hole in the middle. I'm not sure if I got any spares or anything around as most of my shields are from fantasy regiments onwards, which didn't use that format ( they were flat round ones) onwards.

As I'll need some, I made up a few with a 4mm hole which I was told was what they were.. well.. that appears wrong.. measuring the nubs on some of my Skaven, it's probably 2mm, though my digital callipers need a new battery.. So using my ruler, it appears 2mm.. I'm not sure if this was a standard or they were a bit bigger.. I think the total size is about 14mm so I can make up some nice ones for my figures.. anyone got a spare one and a ruler for the dimensions? ^_^

ManicMan

yeah, I would say some variation within a mil due to manufacture. should be pretty stable but if the mould is starting to wear or something, there would be a slight change.

Doing some some designs based on some old model photos.. I'm not 100% sure but.. looking in Warhammer Armies (3rd), I think Pete Taylor (mostly a painter with some conversation work) either used Drawing pins or drawing pins with some putty or something to make some shields when I look at the size and angle of the dome.. might be wrong but.. mm..

EricF

Administrator
Agreed, 2.9mm on my callipers on the ones I've just measured, did you want a photo of the various designs on a cutting mat grid or graph paper for overall scale?

ManicMan

no, that seams to be fine.. I've got a test of 6 different designs based on a circle.. I've only got a FDM printer, but it's bloody good so I can do a test. I'll be happy so share files later.. I'm pretty okay making 3d objects which aren't organic.. organic is too high a poly count for me ^_^;

In theory, Metal shields would be nice but.. ehuh.. while some models come with them, not the most common thing for building out units. I don't remember any Citadel miniatures with non-sculpted in shields having metal ones but.. I have a vague idea some did.. most were plastic so.. I've no problem with that

ManicMan

ah yeah, found some info on them. most of the metal shields were more fancy types I would say.. mostly until 87 with some after words which seam more ones which came with certain figures.

EricF

Administrator
I've got a few metal coffin lid shields which I think are Citadel, but otherwise my "Bag O Shields" TM is mostly plastic assortments from various eras. I do wish I'd bought more shields back when Mail Order was a thing and getting extras like that was trivial. I keep meaning to pick up some of the ShieldAid shields at some point.

ManicMan

most of mine are plastic, but there are a few modern oldschool companies which have some nice metal shields if you don't mind cutting the nubs and stuff..

I haven't been able to take any photos right now but I've printed them and pretty happy with them. Only printed 12 or now but that'll do cause of how long I take to paint ^_^; 2 of each round design I did. I might think about some other designs to go with them.. and I didn't do any special iconograph on them. Very simple designs but fair enough

ManicMan

As I said I would, though they are pretty simple design so not really hard to design but anyway, Any one with a FDM or a resin printer can probably find a use for these. my FDM seamed to print them all well and I might work on some other designs.
http://www.tesp.co.uk/OHam/OldhammerRoundHole.stl

that is one file with all 6 designs I did and tested out.

Back