sewers.of.estark’s armies & warbands

They look great! What are these made of? Paper?
Unfortunately no ingenuity on my part, they are railway scenics that I got a pack of from the hobby shop.
Though after purchasing them and taking a closer look behind the packaging they definitely look like something I could put together myself!

They seem to be made of toothpicks and craft paper.
I might try my hand at putting some together.. if it’s an easy process I’d love to block out a few more of these.

Thanks.

You made them look good :grin:
I appreciate it man!

Alright, last bandit for a while (still a big chunk of the unit to go..) but I think I’ll be switching gears and starting on one of my undead projects. A 3rd edition “tomb kings” army, containing the majority of my “new” miniatures mostly consisting of the figures from 6th edition, as well as a variety of other ranges, 4th edition mummies, plastic skellies old and new, a good mix of c18 night horrors, etc…
But that is all to come. For now, Freddy. I decided to break the bandit colour scheme and keep him in the classic green and red striped sweater.
Unfortunately I’m not a big fan of much of the rest of his outfit, all the references I could find showed black hat, pants & boots. Which is great when the sweater is the main focus, but I’m not terribly happy with the results.
Oh well, I’m happy with the rest of him and there is much more to do, so onward!
DB9E936C-96A5-4F22-A11A-E8097121E0CA.jpeg

ManicMan

not bad ^_^ I would make a comment about him being a lizard under that skin but.. I'm not sure how many would understand that comment (and it's also something I more know him from..)

not bad ^_^ I would make a comment about him being a lizard under that skin but.. I'm not sure how many would understand that comment (and it's also something I more know him from..)
Hmm that sounds familiar but the only thing I could think of is the snake scene in dream warriors? - and thank you :)
D6B572F5-72BF-4850-8B94-FC8C474C1C3E.jpeg

Spent a bit of time working on a test figure for my Tomb Kings this evening., here’s a look at the results.
C5D168B6-92A0-42A7-AC7A-8C9A582D8DF1.jpeg
Figure used is from the classic skeleton horde box set and since I’ll be mostly using the army for 3rd edition, I was obligated to include a unit of reapers.

ManicMan

It's V. For people who don't know, V was a Sci-if Mini-series from 1983 which was kinda a 2 part TV movie, then a 3 part Mini-series which followed it up and finished the story. Then a cheap-ish slightly lackluster TV series which ended on a cliffhanger which never got picked up (and one of the writers ideas for the second series would have been... very crap).. there were also a series of books which follow up from the mini-series but doesn't include the TV series. so in total, ran from 1983 to 1985. (there was some god awful 'we wanna piss on the fans' remake in the 2000s but.. no.. don't anyone dare mention that awful insult.. the kinda thing which just nicked a few names and made something completely unrelated).

It was about a race of human looking aliens who come to earth claiming there planet is dying because of lack of water. At first, they appear to help humans and humans help them, but it turns out they are in fact a race of lizard like creatures who want humans for a food source and are currently at war with another alien race. There are a lot of.. clear but not stupidly done Nazi references (red Uniforms with Black Logo, the 'Visitor youth', a Jewish couple who remember the war etc. Good actors, good work.. much less so on the series where they had money issues and even kinda soft rebooted the show half way through.

Robert Englund was one of the kinda main side-line Aliens, giving the earth name 'Willie' in the TV 2 parter and the mini-series. He became more major in the TV series as the 'friendly alien' as, like with some of the aliens, he wasn't as nasty as some of the higher ups and ended up siding with the humans (who some weren't quite as nice.. not just because they are siding with aliens or anything.. some just.. aren't nice people). Robert Englund used to do a lot of good acting roles but then kinda seamed to get stuck doing heavy makeup horror films, such as Nightmare on Elm street where.. not saying he didn't do a good job but alot more limited range. And of course, with such heavy makeup, you can get away with a flop or anything else cause no-one knows your face.

EricF

Administrator
Those stripes are different and in a good way! I like the blue colour to contrast with the bone. I shall have to do the same (the blue) when I eventually do my next set of archers (the quivers and bows could do with some colour).

Those stripes are different and in a good way! I like the blue colour to contrast with the bone. I shall have to do the same (the blue) when I eventually do my next set of archers (the quivers and bows could do with some colour).
Thanks Eric, I’m quite happy with the blue as well. Not sure about the stripes, it actually makes me a bit queasy to think about all the stripes on all the skeletons I’ll have to paint… I plan to break up painting the units of plastics with small chunks of metal to keep me sane!

First unit is completed! Still need to paint up some type of unit leader and possibly other command models, but for now here’s 10 reapers.
BEDAD830-A917-4053-9D4A-D5AD9815217C.jpeg

Keeping on with the mummies.. this time a lich priest. Another updated paintjob, I haven’t decided if I’ll redo the gold and blue as it fits my color scheme but unfortunately since painting this chap my pot of shining gold has run dry and I haven’t found a good replacement.
4ECBDF3A-31CD-486B-858A-E07BDAE3EFF3.jpeg

A very inspiring thread that’s given a bunch of thoughts and ideas to try out. For example, the blackened armour with gilded detailing.

The idea of collecting and painting small gangs, rather than armies, of figures that you like has a lot of appeal.

Anyway, I used the flesh tones on your first batch of mummies as a guide to a Night Horrors wight that I painted recently. This led me to experiment further with dark almost leather skin on one of his buddies.

A very inspiring thread that’s given a bunch of thoughts and ideas to try out. For example, the blackened armour with gilded detailing.

The idea of collecting and painting small gangs, rather than armies, of figures that you like has a lot of appeal.

Anyway, I used the flesh tones on your first batch of mummies as a guide to a Night Horrors wight that I painted recently. This led me to experiment further with dark almost leather skin on one of his buddies.
Thank you for such kind words Citizen Sade, happy to hear that you’re finding inspiration in my work!

Ive got some of those wights I’ll be including in this project a bit further along, I’ll have to find your work and check it out my friend!

Back