Manic's Gaming Boards build - A long log of events

Fimm McCool

Given that you've painted the bottom of the river leaving it clear won't be too much of an issue. Are you pouring deeper than 25mm anyway? That's pretty deep for a tabletop river.

ManicMan

well, the Foam slabs I used are 30x10x4cm blocks, and for the Lake, it goes all the way to the base, so.. I guess the MAXIMUM depth is at that point is probably.. mm.. yeah, well whatever ^_^; just says maximum is 25mm, so should be fine. ^_^ I'm a bit rubbish at eying up sizes at times.. Remember years ago I tried to have a unit charge forward, undershot it so they didn't get into attack, but was in perfect range for the rival unit which pretty much wiped them out..

River isn't as deep as the lake.

ManicMan

ugh.. did a test pour on a small frame I made up, a 30x30x10 box, did that pour on Sunday I believe. maybe Saturday.. minor leak issue which I thought dealt with making sure it was sealed but oh well, thats minor.. not alot leak and I was able to sort it out.

problem is.. it's now Thursday and the top is still a bit tacky.. I only poured about.. maybe 6mm depth, mixed up the correct 2:1 ratio. The only issue I can think is while I thought I mixed it pretty well, maybe I didn't quite mix it up completely.. The frame was a 2mm plywood one and as for Room temp.. mm.. maybe a bit on the cooler side but not too bad I don't think.. checking with something in my room with a temp gauge.. about 18c right now and it's a cool-ish day (mostly rain). For an ambient Temp of 15c (minimum) it claims 96 hrs for the initial cure.. with 20c being 72 hrs.. it's pretty much at the 96 hours if I did the pour on Sunday, and past that if I did it Saturday. I was going to do a small pour on top to try some water effect on it but with it still being slightly tacky to the touch, I'm not sure.. I'll have to do a better check on it on Saturday (bit busy tomorrow).

ManicMan

glassCast 10/50 clear epoxy casting resin.
still slightly tacky on the surface but I've just done something earlier which is looking really nice and waiting till tomorrow for that to dry

Fimm McCool

Usually find if there's any stickiness with that it's due to a bit of moisture getting into the resin or the temperature being too low. Giving it a GENTLE burst with a hairdryer or putting it in a warm spot for a couple of hours should help.

ManicMan

fair enough ^_^ I do prefer cooler temps to hotter ones so it might have been a little bit too cold though didn't think so.

like I said earlier, I did a bit something to it today and that's turned out pretty damn well.. I took some epoxy resin I was using to glue some things (often i use cheap stuff from pound land but got some Gorilla 2 part epoxy which is pretty nice and clear) and used a old paint brush to brush it over the surface and it's made a very nice ripple like effect.. reminds me of a swimming pool or other such things.. gentle but active enough to look like water. very nice. My test wasn't painted so I think looks a tiny bit bland (so I was debating a slight watered down colour wash) but I think when on the painted parts for the river, it'll look good. Also these ripples don't look too much like they are going in any real direction, so with separate tiles, putting them together in different ways shouldn't look bad (I was a bit worried that if I had too much, then if I have one board with the water going in one direction, and another board with it going in another direction, the clash would look bad..

cause it's only a very thin layer, this is pretty much cured now but I'll leave it till tomorrow then take a picture.. see if I can get a good shot at them shadows and reflections..

Back