• Welcome to the Golden Gobbo painting competition. If you'd like to read some of the ancient history you can on the Realm of Chaos 80s blog.

This competition is held some years and you'll find threads here describing how to enter and when the competition is running (typically after BOYL each year).

Other than the fame and wonderment of your peers there is often a prize kindly donated and you'll have the wonder of being awarded badges for your profile here.

GG 2022 Golden Gobbo painting 'competition' 2022

Fimm McCool

It's on!
:grin:

For those who don't know, Golden Gobbo is not really a competition, but there is a diplomatic vote and there are prizes... so I guess it is.

You have until Sunday October 30th to post your entry in this thread.

Rules (such as they are) below:

There is no theme or limit on the model you can pick, but the model must be a single fantasy or sci-fi figure (additional 'decorative' figures such as snotlings, nurglings and giant's victims are allowed. Monsters and -at a stretch- war machines count as a single figure but no units please).
Remember people will be judging on Oldhammeriness so bear that in mind when choosing a subject.
One entry per member please.
The model should be based for gaming. You can put this on a display stand, but keep any decoration to the base itself.
Your model should be something freshly painted, preferably for the contest, rather than something you already have done.
You will need to supply 2-4 photos of the model against a plain background. These should show it from different angles to give the viewer an all-round view of the model.
You may supply 2 photos of the model in a scenic setting and a paragraph of no more than 100 words giving the background of the character if you wish.

Photos should be posted on this thread, we trust everyone likes everyone else enough that this will not descend into a 'popularity contest'. WIP photos here and in other areas of the forum are also welcome as an incentive to other entrants.

A separate thread will be posted on November 1st with a poll for voting.
Each member will get one vote.
Voting will close at midnight on December 1st and the winner will be officially announced on December 2nd.

There will be a trophy and a prize for the winner, aside from the usual forum appreciation of course!

Let brushing commence!

Loose Loser

Just quick one. What about character mounted on a monster, steed or chariot? Does he count as single in this occasion? That's general question regarding conversions. Or only characters that were sold with monsters count ( Azhag, Dieter,.. )?

Fimm McCool

Loose Loser":1k1km7ck said:
Just quick one. What about character mounted on a monster, steed or chariot? Does he count as single in this occasion? That's general question regarding conversions. Or only characters that were sold with monsters count ( Azhag, Dieter,.. )?

Mounted models are fine, just no units, whole armies or dioramas. And do as much converting as you like, very much in the spirit of Oldhammer to chop stuff about.

Loose Loser

Sounds great. Got few to pick. Some could have slight conversions other would be as they are. Will see how what goes.

symphonicpoet

Thank you for organizing this, Fimm. I accept the fact that there are a few dozen folks around here better than me. (At least.) That said . . . maybe I need to submit something myself. :grin: Let me get thinking!

Loose Loser

Oh now I remember that I've got special one hehe Sure contest winner regardless of paint work quality. It's that good 8-) I think Golden Gobbo should be mandatory for Old Hammer forum users. I think of it more like parade of old miniatures then anything else.

Sleepysod

Have to seriously think about which mini to paint…. AND I’ve got to splodge some paint on the legacy mini - do little time!

I'll be first off the rank with the entries!

I was lucky enough to score a Jes Goodwin Ogre last week, so I have stripped him back and repainted him.
I present to you - Matthog the Pit Fighter!

Attachments

• Matthog1.jpg
    Matthog1.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 842
Here are the other angles...

Attachments

• Matthog2.jpg
    Matthog2.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 841
  • Matthog3.jpg
    Matthog3.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 841
  • Matthog4.jpg
    Matthog4.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 841

Loose Loser

Forget all about Harry the Hammer, Lenny the Lance and Simon the Sorcerer.

Let me present to you the one and only, The Supreme Lord of the Undead ( It's written on the box itself so eat your hearts out 3rd editioners! hehe Because this bloke is Lord to all your Nightmare Legions, Plague Carts and C18 Zombies like it or not hehe ).

Colour scheme is more Night Lord then Undead Lord.

NGS-1.jpg

NGS-2.jpg

NGS-3.jpg

NGS-4.jpg

One with his old drinking buddy.

NGSNG.jpg

Photos are not the best unfortunately ( I'll try to take better photos ). Miniatures itself isn't that fat as one could imagine looking at the box photo. To me only problem is that his crown is very tall so it's shortens figure completely. Making free hand lines or anything at the bottom of robe will shorten figure even more, so I avoid that ( what a stroke of luck hehe ). Problem is that the hand ( staff hand since his right hand is plated glove ) is human, decayed and skinny but human not skeletal like it's painted on the cover. Problem is the face that is toward skeletal but with eyelids. Chick bones doesn't help either so I try to put some green stuff on the face so it could look like decaying or rotten. I did rotten job there for sure hehe Also I added little bit of chin. Nice miniature all in all and in general I like how he turned up.

Ace work!

Always a pleasure to see oldschool Nagash :grin:
Despite it's goofy skull sculpt imo it has way more character then modern plastic abomination... :roll:

Loose Loser

Cheers,

Head is a little bit off I think. Chick bones are very low. Eyelids on the skull didn't help. Jaw is skeletal and it doesn't follow rest of the head by size. By the story in the army book, bloke is Necromancer that was high on warpstone and started to decay. There would be no problem with skull if it was done after Wayne England, little bit sinister since he doesn't draw chick bones that low and rounded, also that supraorbital foramen ( had to look for the name ) to be little bit frowning would help. He's not even laughing but face is similar to that when dentist uses that blue paper to see where tooth contact is hehe

Yes, these new or those few years old models are really victims of software and advance technology ( not to mention bits on sprues, I mean art itself for clever orientation but not much space for those who convert as they usually are like - part of cape, hand and a leg as one bit hehe ). They're over the top in details and very complex and at the end you got kitch model. Must say, when they started with all that, majority of the models look to me more like miniatures done after Magic The Gathering and similar then to Warhammer.

Very nice paint on ye olde Nagash. Lord of the Undead with drining buddy who stole a traffic cone and turned it into a hat.

Loose Loser

hehe cheers,

It's more about who's da boss, even among the goblins. Stealing something that is 1:1 in size and on top of that, proudly wears it.

Loose Loser

Cheers,

Must say that I've notice just few days ago that face on box art got little vessels around eyes and checks. Odd lot hehe

Here's mine - varnished last night.
Champion of main skeleton unit painted for Oldhammer Weekend Poland 2022.
I am pretty excited for this event: dropped WFB over 20 years ago because minis were pricey and rules were stupid BUT it's the first time I can field fully painted 4/5 th ed Undead army. Cannot wait to see it in action although I expect nothing but getting dead ass kicned big time :mrgreen:

P1010327.JPG

P1010328.JPG

P1010329.JPG

Loose Loser

Very nice! I've started to paint little bit to dirty side like your Wraith and this one looks very nice.

Don't worry. These Wraiths are something to be feared. The time we played Undead vs Dwarfs more then 20 years ago, these chaps walk through the hill and slayed Dwarf Lord with ease. We might understood some rules differently then others but Lord was dead and that was most important hehe

Back