• Welcome to the Golden Gobbo painting competition. If you'd like to read some of the ancient history you can on the Realm of Chaos 80s blog.

This competition is held some years and you'll find threads here describing how to enter and when the competition is running (typically after BOYL each year).

Other than the fame and wonderment of your peers there is often a prize kindly donated and you'll have the wonder of being awarded badges for your profile here.

GG 2021 Golden Gobbo 2021 RULES AND SUBMISSION

owiec0

It's a Skaven Doomwheel (the classic metal one). You were quite close with the name "doom roller" :)

Tex

Here's my entry, hope you like it:
IMG-20211031-182359.jpg

IMG-20211031-165833.jpg

IMG-20211031-165318.jpg

IMG-20211031-165243.jpg

IMG-20211031-182656.jpg

EricF

Administrator
Yikes, with some truly stunning models already posted I did wonder about posting, but here is an Imperial Assassin I managed to finish despite the house move. Deliberately kept the colour palette to a minimum since he is supposed to be hiding in the shadows and so forth. So that made it fun attempting to do the highlights, but hopefully the subtle blue/greys work on the black. I've still no idea what the sculptor was thinking with those shoe/sandal things on his feet! He of course stands atop my regulation issue hex base to add that extra old school vibe!

imperial-assasin.jpg

Thought for fun I'd composite the images together, although I'd not say no to having four of the model :) And finally a closeup.

imperial-assasin-closeup.jpg

Well that's the lead pile reduced by one... onwards.

Fimm McCool

EricF":3c2har3v said:
Yikes, with some truly stunning models already posted I did wonder about posting

Glad you did. Excellent job on a classic mini.
Nobody should be deterred from entering. Styles and preferences for miniature painting vary and one of the best things about the community s not seeing just one 'house style' prevalent. This isn't a contest of technical ability it's an excuse to, as you say, "reduce the lead pile by one", perhaps paint something you otherwise wouldn't and celebrate our diverse collections and styles.

Sleepysod

Liking the assassin a lot. Dark Greys and blacks are notoriously difficult to pull off but you’ve managed it with aplomb.

Tex

@EricF
you did a great work with the assassin, his expression is ace! For the sandals, I'd say they're a nod to his "ninja" techniques :grin:
Back then sculptors were genuinely funny and spontaneous ;)

Tex

While not a fan of Morley's zombies (or whatever :grin: ), must admit your PJ makes this one look on par with a KA's sculpt...that means quite something! 8-)

inchmurrin

Some fine looking work here now. wish I could manage black as well as the assassin but why a shield on a zombie, a very well done zombie, wouldn't the arm be sufficient?

Loose Loser

He got that handle for shield and I like that zombies got shields. Was intend to make some nice freehand but I'm completely rusty at the moment so was settle for abstract wood.

Back