Crazy Collecting Quests

Bong0_clive

I'm just reading through this bad boy...

1709575442342.png

and casting envious, wondrous eyes across some absolute classic models, and for a brief, white hot second, I imagined trying to collect every model in that book.

Now that I have my senses back, I'm curious.

Has anyone embarked on crazy, silly or downright dangerous efforts to collect a set of miniatures? Maybe a Combat Cards collection? A set from a catalogue?

How did it go?

ManicMan

hehe.. me? not so much.. But I know someone around here who has a very nice Combat Card Miniature collection..

some of my... minor quests have been pretty easy.. like finding out a company that produced a series of miniatures in the 90s, might not have the rights to make new ones, but still have a few complete sets in stock which I have been far too slow to really paint. Another mini-one was completing my Ork Dreadnought which.. erm.. Has base coat and some other paint but not a lot more on top of that right now..

EricF

Administrator
But I know someone around here who has a very nice Combat Card Miniature collection..
Beaten to it! Was just about to type the same thing having watched the studio update! :)

I've occasionally wondered, but generally I find the costs these days prohibitive to actually complete a set (would rather like a set of the Talisman minis for instance). So have instead stuck to cherry picking out the random models I just fancy painting one day! I do rather enjoy seeing other people attempt such quests however!

Good book, might have to go and have a flick through it myself now.

I get the feeling that it’s a fool’s errand these days unless you set the bar low. I managed the relatively straightforward Paranoia licensed range (bar the unreleased ones), the Goodwin 0220 RoC Beastmen & the C46 Travelling Players. I gave up on the extensive AD&D range & the elusive WFRP Death on the Reik figures. These days, like EricF, I just cherry pick models that take my fancy.

Fimm McCool

I think I directed you to the aforementioned Goblinoids collection on faceache. Only thing to add (apart from it prompting me to take new, better photos) is that I definitely couldn't do it now. Back then I was paying £2-3 a model mostly and it was a fun but affordable quest. With current prices it would be ludicrous. The same with my encyclopaedia warhammica. I can't help but feel sad for all the cool projects that can't happen now because of prohibitive pricing.

twisted moon

there are a few about.
mine have been quite limited, the chaos goblin mutants and mighty ugezod's death commando are the only ones i can think of.

ManicMan

ugh.. this has made me look at what Skaven figures I have... and don't have. Out of the original C47 batch (19 Figures) I have 11 different ones.. Only 7 out of the next 21, 7 out of the next 12, 2 maybe 3) of the 4 C22s, then out of the 13 which are part of the 4406 only, only missing 2... that is... slightly bothering me now.. ^_^;
the main one I'm personally after, appears to be.... SOOOOO rare.. probably cause they appear to have little made (C47-91-12 'Dead-dead', Skaven Corpse)

I’d have to go through and thoroughly to denote all of the sets I’ve collected / am attempting to complete.

The short version of my response here is that my “main” collection is comprised of all the preslotta chaos and undead miniatures produced by Citadel. That alone is dozens of ranges & sets. Im hoping to get started on painting through them in the coming year, so definitely pics to come! I’d love to see everyone else’s complete sets though :)

Dooz

I’d have to go through and thoroughly to denote all of the sets I’ve collected / am attempting to complete.

The short version of my response here is that my “main” collection is comprised of all the preslotta chaos and undead miniatures produced by Citadel. That alone is dozens of ranges & sets. Im hoping to get started on painting through them in the coming year, so definitely pics to come! I’d love to see everyone else’s complete sets though :)
Collecting the Fantasy Tribes skeleton range is in itself quite crazy. Given all the variants

Collecting the Fantasy Tribes skeleton range is in itself quite crazy. Given all the variants
Yeah there’s quite a few of them! Getting to the end of my quest it’s probably the set I’m missing the most from still, I think 12 variants?

I’m in the same place with my runequest broo. Missing about 12. The rest of the sets I’m down to about 2-4 to complete, such as the C01/FTF chaos fighters, C38 beastmen C02 wizard etc..

Back