Advanced Heroquest Minis

Hi,
I am curious. Why did Advanced Heroquest (seemingly) only come with skaven? Did it have a whole campaign with no baddies but skaven? Or were there also cardboard token minis or the assumption you'd buy more monsters, or what?
Thanks

I think the idea behind it was to promote the recently launched Skaven range of miniatures and encourage you to buy some.

The original box set came packaged with a campaign that featured entirely and only Skaven -- and not even enough miniatures to adequately represent all the different kinds of Skaven therein. But, the game also featured rules and tools to create your own dungeons/campaigns and populate them with most of the common Old World evil beings (Orcs, Undead, Chaos Warriors), as well as various large monsters/daemons, that were available at the time. Beastmen were also added later in the Terror in the Dark expansion.

The assumption is very clear in the rules that you'll buy more miniatures to get the most out of the game: it was more of a toolkit to get you started, rather than a complete package.

It came with colored tokens of pre painted citadel minis for other monsters. The idea was yes that you would buy minis to add to the game since the rulebook contains lots of them and it was the GW model and still is. Cheap intro and keep buying minis later on!

I distinctly remember buying it with a few blisters of other monsters and races to add to it since I was not too big into Skaven at the time but loved Realm of Chaos and Undead. Pretty sure future WD issues also added a few new baddies as well or at the least had adventures with other things besides Skaven. Warhammer Quest followed a similar model only it already came with a heap of monopose repurposed plastics from 4th edition and a few new ones made for the game as well.

Back