A little bit lost, a little bit damned

Gallivantes

Closeups of the painted minotaurs.

The 90s minos were painted to a nice level by the previous owner so I didn't feel an urge to strip and repaint them considering the unpainted lead pile I could sink my time into instead. I added some washes and glazes to bring them more in line with my own. I also built them some new bases to fit mine.

The bases have yet to see some paint.

My poor phone camera was struggling to capture this any nicer, sorry about that.

80s vs. 90s

All in a pile!

Ah, how the sight of an unnecessary amount of minotaurs warms my heart.

Attachments

• Minotaurs_Painted.jpg
    Minotaurs_Painted.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 2,226
  • Minotaurs_Painted2.jpg
    Minotaurs_Painted2.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 2,226

Gallivantes

Jagshemash. Five Knights with full command.

First out is this fellow. I dig the snake shield I found for him, something sinister about it. Perhaps it was his heraldry before he was lured into the service of chaos. Perhaps he's just trying to look tough. Who knows.

He's also my test subject for covering areas with liquid green stuff in the hopes it will generate a grimey surface when I paint him.

Attachments

• Knight_01.jpg
    Knight_01.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 2,214

Gallivantes

Number two is the musician.

He's a sax man, by the looks of things. Unless I'm looking at his instrument the wrong way around, in which case it looks more like a war horn. He looks eager to get into combat. Maybe someone heckled his sax solo and he's having none of it.

Attachments

• Knight_02.jpg
    Knight_02.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 2,213

Gallivantes

Number three is the unit Champion.

I enjoyed making his shield. Nothing says Oldhammer like shields with faces on them.

Attachments

• Knight_03.jpg
    Knight_03.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 2,213
You are hands down my new favorite sculptor!

That's an unbelievable amount of detail you've formed onto them Gallivantes :)

Regarding the liquid greenstuff test? It really doesn't add that much appreciable detail to the mini once painted. I used it on my Kulo mini.....could hardly see it once painted.

How'd you do all those little ball thingies on the lances? Not rolling each one up I hope 8-)

Gallivantes

Weismonsters, Optimus, much obliged.

I know to manage my expectations of the LGS then, thanks Optimus. It looks like it has added at least some level of texture - I found when I applied it that stippling and sort of whisking it on appeared more textured than brushing it on. I'll find out in due time :)

The little balls are just that - balls. Glass balls. I ordered a little vial of them from greenstuffworld.com last time I got some greenstuff and milliput. Can't remember how much it cost and I can't find them in their Ebay shop now but I must have been underwhelmed by the size of it, it is rather small. So I got a bag of beads on Ebay from China for £0.99, postage free. Also a rather small bag but it's an ok supply - not suitable for terrain level application at that price I'd say but fine for models.

Search for "glass beads" on Ebay and be wary of the size of the pack if you pay larger amounts.

My two packs are different sizes. I like that, gives me range to combine them and create a more organic look of growths of varying sizes. I've applied the smaller in clusters simply using super glue and then pouring on the beads like you would flock a base with grit or sand. The slightly larger have been applied into bits of organic looking greenstuff using a tweezer. I have a set of silicon sculpting tools (also cheap on the Bay of E). I use a sharp point to poke out a small crater in the GS, then apply a small amount of super glue and put a single larger bead in.

Attachments

• Beads.jpg
    Beads.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 2,202

Gallivantes

I forgot to also mention I apply liquid green stuff on top of the small bead clusters. It blends them into the surface more and makes them look more like something growing from underneath the surface.

Gallivantes

Cassarus, Aghast, thank you.

I was inspired by zerotwentythrees Deadcember entry and had a go at using his rust technique. He was kind enough to point me to his paints choice. My first attempt are below. Thanks again Zero, I'm sure this will be a recurring feature as I paint more Nurgle models.

I have not been as successful coming up with a good way to do necrotic flesh yet, if anyone has a favourite recipe for it feel free to hit me up.

Attachments

• Paint_Rust.jpg
    Paint_Rust.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,153

Dieselhorst

I was inspired by zerotwentythrees Deadcember entry and had a go at using his rust technique.

I have got to get me some of that. Did you mix the rust paint with green/yellow on the guy on the right? Does it mix well?

If so, there could be some very cool effects to achieve...

Gallivantes

Dieselhorst: There was no mixing of the rust with the green/yellow involved, as in mixing wet paint. Just stippled on top the same way for both figures.

Prior to rust treatment the figure on the left had black primer, metal basecoat and a black wash.

The figure on the right, prior to rust, had the armour already painted in green (This was done by priming with black/white zenithal highlight - as can still be seen on the base - followed by one pass of green paint* with liberal amounts of water and glaze medium mixed in. Credits to Delaney King for this method.)

The rust+chipping was applied in the same manner to both models, no difference in technique.

* Can't remember which green I used. Something olive greenish, like Vallejo Yellow Olive or Cayman Green.

There was mixing of paint to achieve the rust tones, just because I didn't have access to the same paints as ZeroTwentyThree. I use the Vallejo Game range and the pic below show what reds+yellows I used to get an analogue to Zero's hues.

Attachments

• RustPaints.jpg
    RustPaints.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 2,102

Dieselhorst

Dieselhorst: There was no mixing of the rust with the green/yellow involved, as in mixing wet paint. Just stippled on top the same way for both figures.

I see...Applied on top. Good to know! Thanks for the advice and he colors.that'll be very useful indeed!

Credits to Delaney King for this method.

Major credits to her! I use that technique on almost all of my figures. It's brilliant.

Gallivantes

Straining under the immense weight, the two ogres grunted as they precariously picked their way up the jagged slope. The rear one stumbled, his gangrenous leg clearly causing him some discomfort. Atop the Palanquin platform the quivering pile of rancid flesh that was the Champion of Nurgle flailed his spiky tentacle about and complained ludly.

"Is this going to take all day? Get up the hill already, we're falling behind the rest!"

The fellow knights were silhouetted against the sky in the baking sun. He had ridden with them until his steed had collapsed under his vast form. He had been leading the charge into a war party of Dark Elves, aiming straight for their centre where some crazed witches had been cavorting around a big pot. It seemed important. The knights had smashed into the frail elves, crushing them under the immense weight of armoured steeds and the towering bulk of their riders. He had skewered three elves on his lance without even slowing down and plowed straight into the platform with the big pot. The back of his steed gave out with an audible snap and he tumbled into the structure, crushing everything in his path.

When he woke up again he found himself atop the shattered remnants of the cauldron platform, rocking and swaying. Two of the more degenerate ogres had been assigned to carrying duty, it seemed. A fellow knight trotted past.

"The elves broke and fled after your spectacular charge" he had said. "When we had finished mopping them up you were still out cold. We had to keep moving." He had nodded towards the platform. Then he had spurred his horse and galloped past to join the rest of the knights at the head of the column.

And here he was, being carried up the slope by two feeble minded brutes, one of which had a gammy leg. That very thing now became an issue. Perhaps the leg had deteriorated a bit more, perhaps it was just a loose rock. The ogre stumbled and as a result the platform rocked like a ship in a storm.

The combined effects of the movement and the stifling heat suddenly overcame him. The champion vomited loudly inside his helmet. He paused for a moment, taking in the bouquet. This mode of transport wasn't so bad after all.

Attachments

• Palanquin.jpg
    Palanquin.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 2,074
Back