2024 Theme Suggestions

symphonicpoet

It's time to get the 2024 ball rolling. Make suggestions for a theme here. I'll hold the suggestions thread open for a couple of weeks, until January 21st let's say, and then we can hold a vote. Put your suggestions in the comments below. I'll make one of my own, inspired by a conversation with an Oldhammerer of impeccable reputation.

The Great Escape from Seitlag Astres III (The Great Escape, but in space.)
Flash Gordon (Since it's the 90th anniversary)
Life of Bryan (Ansel? In space?)
Perry Rhodan or Shadowrun style of runners
Citadel Tribute Team (80s dream team)
Chaos mutants and demons

Last edited:

ManicMan

A bit too on the nose maybe but in honour of both the new return of the strip (last year and doing bloody great) and that today, January 7th 2024 is 90 years since the first, I'll say.. Flash Gordon. You have Athletic swashbuckling Hero, His girl, Mad Scientist, then various rag-tag types like Wood-like Ranger, Winged flyer, Ice Maiden, Lion Man etc.. quite a range to go from, even if you don't include villains. with colours which would be a Red main with yellow minor.

Yes, Bryan Ansell. I didn’t particularly have Life of Bryan in space in mind. Perhaps a Moorcockian friends & foes of the Citadel across space & time would be appropriate?

inchmurrin

I too am in favour of atomic raygun paranoid type stuff, but some sort of space tribute to Bryan Ansel would be very appropriate.

ManicMan

I'm sure whatever theme is picked, someone can work out a Bryan Ansel reference... mm.. I know he is kinda 'less' important, but are we forgetting Colin Dixon?

symphonicpoet

^Aw, crud. You're right. I forgot about that. I don't know that I met him, but some friends spoke highly of him. It'd be cool to work in his style somehow. :( Rest in peace, gents. May the dice be favorable, wherever you are.

Sleepysod

How about a crew made of miniatures representing anyone from the Citadel / GW team of yore (live or passed?). The 80s dream team so to speak?

I spot Kev Adams, Bryan Ansell, John Blanche, Dave Gallagher, Jervis Johnson, Aly & Trish Morrison, Bob Naismith, the Perry brothers & Rick Priestley. Does anyone know if all the individuals have been identified somewhere?

ManicMan

ehem.. from the back row left to right we have:

Row 1:
Lindsey De Le Doux Paton [Later Lindsey Priestley] (Crosseyed) - Typesetter and Editor
Bil Sedgwick (Pot Hat) - Artist (Created Gobbledigook)
Colin Dixon (Fin Hat)- Sculptor/Artist
Nick Bibby (Yelling)- Sculptor
Phil Lewis (Eye Patch)- Photographer, Artist, Painter [This is a bit odd as he didn't seam to join GW until 1992.. yet RT is 87... puzzle that one out]
Mike & Alan Perry (Twins)- Sculptors
Kev Adams (Spike Skull)- Sculptor
Jes Goodwin (Metal Nose)- Sculptor
Row 2:
Aly Morrison (Knife and Chained to Trish) - Sculptor
Trish Morrison (chained to Aly) - Sculptor
Dave Andrews (Sunglasses) - Artist
Rick Priestley (Boo Tongue) - Designer
Tony Ackland (Cyber Eye) - Artist, Sculptor
Mike Brunton (Glasses) - Designer
Jim Bambra (10 on head) - Designer
Row 3:
Bob Naismith (Spikey Beard) - Sculptor
Richard Halliwell (Flat Hightop) - Designer
John Blanche (Cyber Skull plate) - Artist
Charles Elliott (S&CB Helmet) - Artist
Graeme Davis (Metal Mouth) - Designer
Paul Cockburn (Skull collar) - Manager, Editor, Writer
Phil Gallagher (Spiked Collar) - Designer
Sid ? (Chainsword) - Artist, Painter
Front:
Jervis Johnson (J Head) - Manager, Artist
Alan Merrett (Walkie-Talkie) - Manager
Bryan Ansell (Bulb Head) - Manager, sculptor, Designer
Richard Ellard (Micky Mouse Club Badge) - Manager

Image by Martin McKenna who isn't there.

It's been IDed on 'Nurgel.stelio.net' and I think Trish Morrison might have confirmed.. Though I will say, they listed there job as stated in the rule book at the time, I've just gone with some more known stuff but.. might be a bit iffy on some details

symphonicpoet

Holy crap, if we got enough people to sign up that band would be absolutely 'uge! (And deeply epic.) The Morisons' eye makeup would be fun to paint. Lots of fun conversion bait there. Lots of good freehand.

twisted moon

i haven't taken part in a sci-fi challenge so far simply because i have found them to be too specific, both for my comparatively limited sci-fi miniatures collection and in comparison with the fantasy themes (although a purely blackadder theme for last year would have ruled me out).
given the large cast of gw staff in the rogue trader illustration, i'll probably be able to manage that.

Machen

Sci-Fi is my genre and would be easier for me to field than fantasy.

However, if it hasn't been done yet, it'd be fun to have a sci-fantasy* one centered around Chaos mutants someday. Good opportunity for kitbashing and getting creative.

A fair number of the "fantasy" Realm of Chaos warriors had sci-fi equipment, so the distinction between the two generes seemed to matter less in those Oldhammer days, at least for Chaos.

Back