2024 Legacy Signup: The Great Escape in Space

symphonicpoet

EricF: The prison camp
SymphonicPoet: TBD. Maybe an elf and an orc guard?
ManicMan: Sorren or Sedgwick-squat
inchmurrin: Bronson/Welinski-squat
epicsatsuma: Kuhn-gestapo/inquisitor
Sleepysod: Ives
sewers.of.estark: TBD
Old Hob: Blythe
Machen: TBD
Geroak II: ork guard
twisted moon: guard

The spot colors this year are RAF blue for the prisoners and black for the guards.

I'm going to suggest we forgo basing requirements, especially in light of the diorama submission, but keep bases simple so they can be removed by the winner if desired. If sentiments seem to go otherwise, we can always have a poll.

With thanks to ManicMan here's a rundown on characters.

getting time to start to work out a character type list?

Lets think..
* Hilts (McQueen) - so Captain who likes Bikes
* Hendley (Garner) - a Scrounger who is able to find stuff on the black market
* Bartlett (Attenborough) - RAF ringleader of the Escape
* Ramsey (Donald) - the group captain and highest ranking officer among the group (leader of POW side)
* Welinski (Bronson) - Expert in tunneling but claustrophobic
* Blythe (Pleasence) - The forger (.... anyone a fan of Punt and Dennis? shame there TV show you can't get... only a very cheap VHS (ripped to DVD) of the 'best of series 1' but.. the Forger is a classic bit of theirs)
* Sedgwick (Coburn) - Australian who can make anything (Why do i pitch this has to be a squat?)
*McCallum - works out how to get rid of the dirt
* MacDonald (Jackson) - Second in command
* Dickes (Leyton) - Co tunneller
* Ives (Lennie) - Nervous scotsman (is that possible?)
* Cavendish (Stock) - Surveyor for the tunnels
* Sorren (Russell) - Security for the POWs
* Griffith (Desmond) - Tailor for the Escapees

* Von Luger (Messemer) - The Kommandant of the camp
* Werner (Graf) - Young guard who is exploited for black market stuff
* Kuhn (Reiser) - Diehard Gestapo
* Strachwitz (Riebauer) - senior NCO guard
* Posen (Freitag) - Adjutant to Von Luger

That's.. probebly the main and a few more but not all the role types.

Last edited:

ManicMan

I wanna try to take part this year, feeling better about my painting skills. I got a couple of ideas but I'll have to check what I got. Oh, picked spot colours this year yet?

EricF

Administrator
Just to re-iterate regarding terrain, list your demands! I was thinking just this morning - maybe a better use of space would be to put the guard tower bit on top of the hut either giving a bit more space outside if someone felt the need to do a brave escapee on a bike for instance (or allowing me to compact it a tad). So please don't feel constrained, very open to thoughts :)

ManicMan

okay.. going through bits which I thought would be nice.. I got a bunch of bits and this is a nice heavy weapon squat in a trench coat.. I was thinking either Sorren as he is security (so heavy weapon).. OR Sedgwick as he can make stuff, so makes sense he would have patched together the heavy weapon gear.. a bit undecided though..

symphonicpoet

I wanna try to take part this year, feeling better about my painting skills. I got a couple of ideas but I'll have to check what I got. Oh, picked spot colours this year yet?

I have to start that thread, now that you mention it.

I think I have everyone down and updated to this point. This otter be a good one!

EricF

Administrator
I was pondering a more vertical layout and wondered what people thought? So this is A4 in size. Pop the guard tower on top of the hut, have a few more tunnels to allow for more interesting placement - rather than all lined up in a row... Have a tunnel dug/being dug by something else. Perhaps a bit closer a homage to the old McVey ones? Personally I think it might look a bit more fun and allows for a bit more narrative.

great-escape-vert.jpg

And to save flicking between threads here were my first thoughts
escape-diorama-jpg.9909

ManicMan

ohh, I think the stand up works better. Works well with having move half and half tunnel and outside allowing for a number of 'set pieces' like some action in one area, something else in another etc, like some of the old McVey ones I love.

I’ve got the upper half of an old Screamer Killer I could have bursting through the ground? If anyone thinks that would be a good tunneling monster to include?
If not I’ve definitely got bits to bash together some kind of IG prisoner or perhaps a villainous sister of battle?

inchmurrin

I was pondering a more vertical layout and wondered what people thought? So this is A4 in size. Pop the guard tower on top of the hut, have a few more tunnels to allow for more interesting placement - rather than all lined up in a row... Have a tunnel dug/being dug by something else. Perhaps a bit closer a homage to the old McVey ones? Personally I think it might look a bit more fun and allows for a bit more narrative.

View attachment 9941

And to save flicking between threads here were my first thoughts
escape-diorama-jpg.9909

I'm for the vericle one seems more in keeping with an Oldhammer approach and we definitely need something breaking in.

Old Hob

Hi all. Sorry, haven't logged on in a while, but I'm in. I'll need to have a bit of a head scratch first. I'm tempted by Blythe, as 'I can see. I can see perfectly.' is a bit of a catchphrase in our house, but I have no idea how to do a mild mannered forger with a 40K mini. Let me sleep on it.

EricF

Administrator
mild mannered forger with a 40K mini.
Some kind of mechanicus scribe making forged purity seals? I imagine there must be a decent trade in real relics of the emperor and so forth.

And yep I think we're going vertical. One nice thing about that is it feels less like a linear story and more of just a "set piece" which is a bit more fun. Now how to get half a Screamer Killer in a good spot since we have the "below ground" on show - perhaps coming out of the back wall somewhere? Maybe off down one of the tunnels (if large enough). Anyhoo plenty of time for all that planning once we have a fair idea of who is doing what!

Old Hob

Awesome suggestion Eric. I've found a Lex-Mechanic on eBay that even looks like Donald Pleasence! So, yeah, I'll do Blythe.

Sleepysod

I think I’m going to do Ives - I’ve picked up a praetorian in a prone position and I’m currently planning to stick him on a JD hover board like Ives on his reclined mining cart. Fingers crossed it will work…

Back