2023 Lustrian Cutthroats Signup

symphonicpoet

Sign up to submit a miniature to the annual Oldhammer Forums miniature raffle. The rules are simple: submit a miniature on theme for a chance to win the lot. The miniature needn't be old lead, but it should fit the theme, which is a Lustrian Raiding Party based on Black Adder's Cutthroats. As the miniatures are finished they're mailed t a volunteer (probably me) who then groups them all together and pulls a name out of the hat before mailing them off to their new home. This is all in good fun. If you want to submit, but you don't know what you what to put in yet, no problem. I'll put you down as TBD and edit it later.

The spot colors this year are purple and yellow, so your submission should include those in some interesting way to make the group feel unified. Doesn't need to be the primary color. Could just be a significant article of clothing, or even a plume. But done right this helps to pull the group together. Let's use standard WFB square bases, in simple black so the winner can apply the treatment of their choice.

symphonicpoet: frog prince?
epicsatsuma: human fighter
Loose Loser: Guy de Glastonbury (dark elf warrior riding a doomdrake)
Sleepysod: Norseman (or dwarf)
inchmurrin: Norse archer or Irish/Norse mugger
Bluey Zarzov: Morris dancer skink
Machen: TBD lizardman or possibly goblin ships captain?
ErifF: Friar Bellows
Geroak II: dwarf carpenter and treasure appraiser
sewars.of.estark: young maiden

And with thanks to ManicMan, here's a description of some of the characters for possible inspiration:

ManicMan:3npit4by said:
The Black Seal were:
- Sir Wilfred Death (duellist)
- Three-Fingered Pete - (Archer with only 3 fingers on his right hand)
- Guy de Glastonbury (fancy dressed highway man who always kills his victims (Your Money AND your life))
- Sean the Irish Bastard (slightly fancy browns - a mugger basically)
- Friar Bellows - (standard friar tuck like Friar who basically screws all the girls which are left to him for his protection)
- Jack Large - (violent thug Dwarf)
- Prince Edmund - (The Black Adder.. silly, bit stupid, wants to be fancy and impressive but has no clue what he is doing.)

side options:
- A retired Morris Dancer who looks like a beggar, who later turns out to be 'Philip of Burgundy 'The Hawk'', large 'hawk like' nose. fancy outfit.
- Mad Gerald - Mad old man in a prison cell with his best friend, a Rat.

The Members of the Black Seal themselves were loose parodys of Robin Hood (mostly Errol Flynn's 38 film).

If that helps any ^_^

Last edited:

epicsatsuma

I'm going to go with this fine sculpt from Knightmare Miniatures
1f1b7944d6ef9453a0cb6f9439fccf62.jpg

Sent from my FP4 using Tapatalk

Loose Loser

I'm not sure of Lizardmen, but definitely something in lines of Guy de Glastonbury. Maybe human mounted on Cold One or something like that. Or Lizardmen mounted on horse. Will see but there somewhere in those lines.

symphonicpoet

^I was working off the spot color poll, where there were fourteen total votes, with everyone allowed to vote twice. (Not sure everyone did, mind.)

Machen

Hey symphonic poet,

Yep, I'm still alive. And I've actually, finally, really been painting miniatures after about three and a half decades of not doing so. When I have enough finished, I'll put up some photos on this forum.

I'm interested in participating in your challenge this time around. I'm not familiar with Black Adder, but I get "Lustrian Cutthroats." My fantasy collection is pretty small compared to what I've got for sci-fi, but I'm sure I can find something that would fit a fantasy raiding party. (If lizard men are permitted, I'll definitely have something.)

My only question is whether I'll need to choose a specific Black Adder character. I'd rather not, since I'm not familiar with the show and would prefer not to be limited. That's part of the reason I didn't get into the A-Team challenge last year - all the characters I knew were already taken. (The other reason was that I signed onto these forums and got wind of the project late in the year, but before my painting mojo had returned.)

Black Adder aside, if contributing something that fits the theme of "Lustrian Cutthroats" is enough, then please sign me up as a contributor.

symphonicpoet

Machen":2n7n76pm said:
Hey symphonic poet,

Yep, I'm still alive. And I've actually, finally, really been painting miniatures after about three and a half decades of not doing so. When I have enough finished, I'll put up some photos on this forum.

I'm interested in participating in your challenge this time around. I'm not familiar with Black Adder, but I get "Lustrian Cutthroats." My fantasy collection is pretty small compared to what I've got for sci-fi, but I'm sure I can find something that would fit a fantasy raiding party. (If lizard men are permitted, I'll definitely have something.)

My only question is whether I'll need to choose a specific Black Adder character. I'd rather not, since I'm not familiar with the show and would prefer not to be limited. That's part of the reason I didn't get into the A-Team challenge last year - all the characters I knew were already taken. (The other reason was that I signed onto these forums and got wind of the project late in the year, but before my painting mojo had returned.)

Black Adder aside, if contributing something that fits the theme of "Lustrian Cutthroats" is enough, then please sign me up as a contributor.

I'm not that familiar either, to be fair. And my fantasy collection is pretty slim. Personally I'm figuring on converting some kind of frog. I went and watched a few episodes of Black Adder for a little inspiration (I definitely don't regret that decision), and I figure a Slann with a funny hat ought to be about perfect, and there are plenty of good fantasy frogs out there. (I might even have one sitting around from my own Space Slann conversion project. Bought some old Ral Partha frogmen for that.) Anyway, yeah, a lizardman sounds great. My thinking has always been that the themes are meant to be more inspiration than limitation, and there's always room for new people. I'll put you down for "TBD lizardman" for now. Always time to edit it later. Looking forward to it!

Loose Loser":2n7n76pm said:
Doing Dark Elf warrior on doomdrake, those MMxx range. Slightly converted to fit the image of that Guy.

Editing the post to reflect the new information. Sounds fantastic!

Back