Basic Marine pts Cost

boltthrowa

After unearthing my old Adeptus Titanicus back over Christmas & playing endless battles with my five year old son I've been bitten hard by the Oldhammer bug! I've assemebled a Battle at the Farm force of Marines to try some Rogue Trader. However, I want to pitch them against an evenly matched Genestealer Cult (rather than an uneven Orc mob!).

tl;dr

What is the points cost of a single basic Marine? So far I have (I'm basing this off p58 in Rogue Trader):

So base human= 5
WS+1.5, BS+0.75, S&T+2, I+0.75 Ld/Int/Cl/WP(+1.75 each(x4))=7
+ bolt gun 2
+ knife (ccombat accessory) 0.5
+ power armour 6

= 24.75 for a basic marine?

Zhu Bajie

I don't show my working out there, but I think the base profile for a Marine is 8 + equipment.

Marine: 8
Bolt Gun: 2
Knife: 0.5
Powered Armour: 6
Auto-senses: 0.5
Communicator: 0.5
Respirator: 0.5

Total: 18

boltthrowa

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. I've been devouring Zhu's blog posts on this over the last few days, so great to get your thoughts. It seems the marine force for Battle at the Farm should be 354.5pts? I've been having fun playing with the calculator spreadsheet!

Attachments

• Farm_01.jpg
    Farm_01.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,457
Not quite; you forgot to multiply Pedro's point cost, as per the rule on Page 58.

As his stat line cost works out at 28, you have to triple this: 84

So, he works out, according to my calculations, as:

+ 6 (Power Armour)
+ 3 (Bolt Pistols x 2)
+ 1.5 (Refractor Field)
+ 15 (Power Glove)
+ 0.5 (Auto-senses)
+ 0.5 (Communicator)
+ 0.5 (Respirator)

Total= 111

boltthrowa

Ah ha! Good point! 111pts? He's a big boy...

Another question though; why do you guys add the Auto-senses/Communicator/Respirator combo? They don't seem to be listed in the scenario stats?

Page 116 says Powered armour comes fitted with Respirator, Communicator and Auto-Senses.

I'm assuming from the text on Page 116 that these things are actually included in the cost of Power Armour.

I'm only copying Zhu by adding the cost of those three items, but I don't know if it's necessary?

I suspect he wants to pay for them because it mentions these three items in the Marines' Brief page in the actual Battle at the Farm scenario, but without making it clear that they're included in the cost:

marine_equipment.png

Zhu Bajie

boltthrowa":1wpv3xwv said:
Ah ha! Good point! 111pts? He's a big boy...

Another question though; why do you guys add the Auto-senses/Communicator/Respirator combo? They don't seem to be listed in the scenario stats?

They aren't clearly listed in the scenario, but they are standard Marine equipment, part of their Powered Armour (p.156)

Stormbringer":1wpv3xwv said:
I'm only copying Zhu by adding the cost of those three items, but I don't know if it's necessary?

I don't know either. :grin:

On the one hand they have the equipment, so it represents an opportunity cost for the Marine player (ie. you still pay full points for a troop who doesn't get into combat and sits in a bush for the whole game).
On the other hand the Orks have no poison gas or blinding weapons, and it would be weird to have a targeting LOS issue, so the equipment doesn't alter effectiveness on the ground.
On the third (mutant) hand,according to Curis the PVs in the Space Marine army lists in the Book of the Astronomicon include them, so it seems like they are intended to be included.

PS. I haven't played with my Oldhammer spreadsheets for a while, but I doubt they multiply equipment cost by the hero factor.

Zhu Bajie":37z97sw6 said:
PS. I haven't played with my Oldhammer spreadsheets for a while, but I doubt they multiply equipment cost by the hero factor.

They don't, but unlike WHFB it doesn't seem to be the case that you multiply equipment costs in Rogue Trader.

Back