Orjetax

Thank you, Jonas.
I am enjoying this range more and more.

Here’s some further progress.

7c79b678dfc5c512fc27dcb7066822ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orjetax

pahvivalmiste":1pcmj1ld said:
These look nice! To me these are painted very down-to-earth, believable style. Maybe I'd do something about the bases.

Thanks for the comments!

You’re so right about the bases. I struggle because I don’t much enjoy doing them (and therefore want something easy) and I also want them to be generic enough to work with a variety of gaming tables and other models.

Would be eager to hear any further thoughts on bases from you or anyone else. Maybe I can get some inspiration .

I think your bases look good, and they fit the rough sculpt and earth tones of the your Orcs. But maybe a final drybrush of a bone colour or khaki would look make them look better. It seems that you did make such a highlight on some of the bases, but not all of them (or maybe it's just due to the light on some of the pictures)?

There is always room for improvement, even on such well painted models.
First of all at a closer look the feet of the models are a little too much sunk in sometimes. If you want to change this the base probably has to be 90% ready before you place the models.
The basic colors are fine from my point of view. You can give an additional highlight and perhaps a tuft or two to give the base a little more "life". In an earlier stage you could also integrate more rocks or other details in the base structure.
The bases look already good to me, so these are only my 2 cents because you asked.

Orjetax

This is all very good and helpful.

Some of the bases do indeed have a bleached bone highlight, but I thought it ended up too stark and so abandoned. I think my instincts led me astray there.

I’ll post again here when finished and will be curious to know your thoughts as to the result.

Micha

Nice Job on These ones; Bob Olley models are not easy to paint IMHO (I have the Iron Claw Goblin Chariot), lots of textures and wrinkles - yours look truly good. I feel the models look a bit monochromatic, maybe they would benefit from some patches of brighter Color (red, yellow etc); although I presume you intenden them this way. Will the bases stay as they are, or will you add flock/grass etc?

Orjetax

Micha":1ukesr58 said:
Nice Job on These ones; Bob Olley models are not easy to paint IMHO (I have the Iron Claw Goblin Chariot), lots of textures and wrinkles - yours look truly good. I feel the models look a bit monochromatic, maybe they would benefit from some patches of brighter Color (red, yellow etc); although I presume you intenden them this way. Will the bases stay as they are, or will you add flock/grass etc?

Thanks. These do have some challenging textures, in that very similarly textured areas are right next to each other (‘is that chainmail? Fur? Hair? SKIN?!’).

I’m keeping the palette in these darker, more ‘realistic’ colors. With this exception - models with the crazy shields are getting more fantastic colors. While a sense of earthiness and realism is overall what I’m looking for, I just can’t bring myself to do these crazy shields in a too-realistic way.

They’re too strange.

So above, one of these shields I did with red, orange, and yellow inks.

And I just tried this one (still WIP but close to done) in some wild fluorescent inks:

b5d85b824c0a03a2135ddb0d96a9f2a6.jpg

Orjetax

Ok!

I’ve taken the suggestion of adding another, lighter, drybrush on the bases.

96a86e7f5fe5a86cfc7af190cc0a7f6c.jpg

b5f251511356cfa92733b6bb4b5ad178.jpg

8d801ed34eb95fcc96abdd73d9a7213f.jpg

This completes the project (for now). I’ve painted all the models I have, and this is probably already more than I would have in a game at once.

That said, maybe I’ll supplement if someone wants to sell me the ones I still need . . .

31cb81df7fd35956db1c73743b3d9815.jpg

fed0dae844022cebd61150c842df389e.jpg

When I started the project, I thought the earlier models would be my favorites. And while the ones with the wild shields ARE my favorites, I otherwise preferred the later sculpted models.

The trouble with the older ones is perhaps too many textures, and all pretty similar, and all right next to each other.

But the project continues to affirm that Olley is my favorite sculptor. And now I’ve been inspired to start collecting the iron clad beast men.

Thanks for following the thread!

BloodEyes

I can at least help out with one of your collection needs, as I'm on the lookup for a final miniature out of those Black Orcs: 074790-4
r87D5BDAxqEIGuK7bGiXvOHHyBhBkVaAgoAbxY-n1TX9mXf4v60_823m7rsiHfV_2yA8QACzLgRXottlL5LAGpW9yDFzlBlPr_5iXOUpzPoArq4nOp4dST46516jfoDNzpiiLJHmBTWGHukwQuEQcr3HYUuiY_pxc30b5rA22L7ywZ5bIMAy5MEt71I3XxTmui56Ht96zRIqEj3O4D7M467A0NMwFhqkP1hqdV2mR6LcdhYc37ZF0q_S_Kx4baB91b_aCdrfUsFkNutVZj8oYOGZSOkFnQauWQd1-cKwdCd8F6fniog-wCORaOFEecYED0TwUtBOLXP8XMbyJB6DEZk5tOjcZ5hXTLJY_uFIXgMG__w984bXG0nopABxZBvcASUxrGBodcRcbHgPQEQam8kViRgzXadewzT46bvENqoRmcLuPGrnsTKMVUqWxsqjFDYMqf3Cnd0qjCVkwOck4AxQTiyin9BR7QzsSVqzKqeP29BBEvbZsye4_LraJwozWv0JlGQsQsm73f9bylwCPl4PZini6o7Eb3WDYHncpRZMBa6HTIOkGNTBeYM9qhJWS2FwaZjUfl9p0BsxGi3rQua84_nXVZLoy3p_l_0=s199-no

If you would be having multiple of this one, I can trade it for one of the following:
- Giant Black Orc Halberd 4 (074790-10)
- Giant Black Orc Two Swords (074790-8)

If interested, feel free to PM me.

Orjetax

BloodEyes":3ej3y316 said:
I can at least help out with one of your collection needs, as I'm on the lookup for a final miniature out of those Black Orcs: 074790-4
r87D5BDAxqEIGuK7bGiXvOHHyBhBkVaAgoAbxY-n1TX9mXf4v60_823m7rsiHfV_2yA8QACzLgRXottlL5LAGpW9yDFzlBlPr_5iXOUpzPoArq4nOp4dST46516jfoDNzpiiLJHmBTWGHukwQuEQcr3HYUuiY_pxc30b5rA22L7ywZ5bIMAy5MEt71I3XxTmui56Ht96zRIqEj3O4D7M467A0NMwFhqkP1hqdV2mR6LcdhYc37ZF0q_S_Kx4baB91b_aCdrfUsFkNutVZj8oYOGZSOkFnQauWQd1-cKwdCd8F6fniog-wCORaOFEecYED0TwUtBOLXP8XMbyJB6DEZk5tOjcZ5hXTLJY_uFIXgMG__w984bXG0nopABxZBvcASUxrGBodcRcbHgPQEQam8kViRgzXadewzT46bvENqoRmcLuPGrnsTKMVUqWxsqjFDYMqf3Cnd0qjCVkwOck4AxQTiyin9BR7QzsSVqzKqeP29BBEvbZsye4_LraJwozWv0JlGQsQsm73f9bylwCPl4PZini6o7Eb3WDYHncpRZMBa6HTIOkGNTBeYM9qhJWS2FwaZjUfl9p0BsxGi3rQua84_nXVZLoy3p_l_0=s199-no

If you would be having multiple of this one, I can trade it for one of the following:
- Giant Black Orc Halberd 4 (074790-10)
- Giant Black Orc Two Swords (074790-8)

If interested, feel free to PM me.

I regret that I have no spares, just the ones painted!

I’ll be sure to let you know if I want up with the one you’re after though.

JonAtron

I really like your work on these. I think you've painted them in a way that really compliments the style of the sculpts. To me they have a feel of illustrations of monsters in story books that you'd be a little scared of as a kid. You've nailed it in my book!

Orjetax

JonAtron":2cfs7732 said:
To me they have a feel of illustrations of monsters in story books that you'd be a little scared of a kid. You've nailed it in my book!

Oh man, thanks for those kind words. I’m flattered by that comparison. I’m fired up to find the models I’m missing and resume.

Really enjoying following this thread. They look great , especially how you painted the shields, hope you can get the missing figures- looking forward to see the collection grow

Orjetax

LilBroGrendel":1kvkhchi said:
I just stumpled upon this lot of greenskins. I believe two of the ones you are missing are among them:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980s-90s-WA ... 2656858709
I know it's way too expensive for just the two Black Orcs, but on the other hand the Goblins should be relatively easy to sell or trade, so it might not be all that bad a deal.

Thanks! I’m watching it now and if it doesn’t sell maybe I can make an offer and re-sell the gobbos.

I’m mostly not in tune with prices on the fantasy stuff. How much would each goblin typically sell for do you think, exclusive of shipping?

Orjetax":12m86vsg said:
Thanks! I’m watching it now and if it doesn’t sell maybe I can make an offer and re-sell the gobbos.

I’m mostly not in tune with prices on the fantasy stuff. How much would each goblin typically sell for do you think, exclusive of shipping?

No problem. I have often seen individual Goblins have a price of around 5 or 6 £, but some times as low as 3,50 or 4 £. I believe that 4 £ each isn't completely off.

Back