A Simple Little Challenge for 2016/17

Gallivantes

I like them a lot :)

Is it possible to give us a summary of how you did the helmet metal? I really like the level of grime you gave them. Not too pristine and not too dingy, just looks nicely broken in. There appears to be some slight variation across the unit but if you're looking for a point of reference I'd say the helmet rear view of the boar totem bearer is a good example.

I'd like to paint a chaos warrior up in that finish. If patinas had names I would call this one "old faithful" :grin:

Congrats on the unit. And the googly eye trick was ingenious ;)

Snickit

Gallivantes":3o9t8e9u said:
I like them a lot :)

Is it possible to give us a summary of how you did the helmet metal? I really like the level of grime you gave them. Not too pristine and not too dingy, just looks nicely broken in. There appears to be some slight variation across the unit but if you're looking for a point of reference I'd say the helmet rear view of the boar totem bearer is a good example.

I'd like to paint a chaos warrior up in that finish. If patinas had names I would call this one "old faithful" :grin:

Congrats on the unit. And the googly eye trick was ingenious ;)

Cheers matey but there's great skill to it, they all got a good soaking in Army Painter Soft Tone Quick Shade Ink (not the tinned stuff, the actual pipette bottle ink), applied to the whole mini with a good sized wash brush.

I swear by this stuff now, if I were to ever paint for competition I'd go back to a more personal shading and highlighting technique but for general purpose "get 'em done to a good wargaming standard" you can't beat it.

Gallivantes

Haha, worked a treat.

And how did you paint the metal before you applied the Ink? Any highlighting or just metal basecoat, then slather in ink? and What kind of metal did you use?

Snickit

Gallivantes":2ru09g2a said:
Haha, worked a treat.

And how did you paint the metal before you applied the Ink? Any highlighting or just metal basecoat, then slather in ink? and What kind of metal did you use?

Army Painter Plate Mail painted on flat or drybrushed over chain mail areas. The undercoat was black. Then slathered in the Quickshade Ink. It's not normal ink, it shrinks back and clings more.

Grumdril

I'm afraid I've failed at this challenge.

One unit complete out of my target of four. And since we move house on the Friday of BOYL that will be all I manage I think :(

beastmasterAndPack.jpg

I might have to aim for next year instead...

Paul / Grumdril

Snickit

Oh dear oh dear, still, you gave it a go, and they're looking very nice as well, maybe roll it into next year? I've got 2 to 3 units to finish off and a general to paint!!!!!!

Tick tock tick tock......................

Grumdril

Good work - that's a lovely little force you have there.

Slightly off-topic question - what's the surface you've photographed them on? Is it table-sized, or just a photography stand (if the former I'm quite keen to aquire one myself! :) )

Paul / Grumdril

Back