Ebay ridiculousness

I saw that when it was listed, amongst a few others from the same seller. Not sure why this one in particular went for so much. Maybe it was just a bidding war? It's definitely not "worth" that much though isn't it.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Jeg

I think you're right regarding the bidding war. The seller also sold two more at £30 a pop! Happy day's for the seller!

Zhu Bajie

Alright. It's a not the big-numbers thing, but I find this maddening.

Why would anyone pay 9.99 for an article cut out of White Dwarf magazine, when the whole issue can be ]regularly picked up for 99p? Is the labour and equipment for cutting up a few pages from a magazine really so valuable? Am I missing something here?

And while I'm here. Why are 8 people bidding on beautiful, beautiful vintage Aureola Roccoco High Elvf Cavalry miniatures which can be bought new from Matchlock (here) for less?

Zhu Bajie":3i8a9lbb said:
Alright. It's a not the big-numbers thing, but I find this maddening.

Why would anyone pay 9.99 for an article cut out of White Dwarf magazine, when the whole issue can be ]regularly picked up for 99p? Is the labour and equipment for cutting up a few pages from a magazine really so valuable? Am I missing something here?

Now that is very odd. Moreso when you consider that all the WD AHQ articles are only a simple Google search away. I could understand wanting the original magazine, but if you solely want just the article from the mag, surely a free download is preferable to spending any amount of money, let alone a tenner.

I really dont want to offend anyone here. I think there is some issue here with how our brains process the modern world, and it leads to some "broken " behavioral out comes.

Why do we love collecting? Little tiny models? And old books? Why do we value these things? I suspect that its our gatherer instincts coming through. Also the idea of making sure you have all your stuff, literally your collection of small and important objects.

Then we have some obviously broken behavior. Our brains want us to survive, so we copy the successful members of the tribe. This leads to the idea that is you show a picture of a person who seems successful handling a product, other people will want that object too, so you get advertising. Its may not be useful, it may even be harmful, but our brains are a bunch of suckers.

So yeah, people see a thing and want it, but not because its really necessary. So our brains suspend the normal, rational, fight or flight processes and just "do the thing", making us kind of "blind" to common sense.

I love KickStarter for example, but I have seen that people will buy more from a KS than they would if the model just went on general release.

SO for sure humans make strange decisions, non rational ones, when it comes to spending disposable income on models.

Thankfully its in the name of art and games, and I think that if we made alot more decisions based on a desire to have cool games and models, that the world would be a better, richer place.

ramshackle_curtis":1mwwp9el said:
I love KickStarter for example, but I have seen that people will buy more from a KS than they would if the model just went on general release.

I'm certainly guilty of that behaviour, but it's more getting a perceived 'bargain' than anything particularly subconscious. KS campaigns usually emphasise the 'full retail' price when they go on sale as being more than the KS price, and so I tend to buy up a range in one go over gradually getting them at a later date.

These WD cut-outs seem to go counter to everything like that in that you can get the entire magazine cheaper, or just download them for free.

symphonicpoet

Oh lord, I think I'm guilty of all of that to some extent or other. KS also nabs me through a perception of scarcity, I think. These things will only be here for a little while. Get 'em now or you'll miss out! (And sometimes I really have missed out.) But most of the best stuff comes back around and my wife has the look of death so . . . maybe I'm learning again. Maybe. :"> Yeah, our basic instincts do not always help here, but when it's in the name of fun and games it's less troublesome than in a lot of other acquisitive/competitive fields.

Zhu Bajie

I dunno. Maybe Curtis expression of essentialist-capitalist doctrine should be debated in it's own thread. FWIW I completely disagree, the consumption of masscult is not due to a fantasy of eternal human instincts, or class inferiority complexes, but a reaction to the modern world, in finding restoration, courage and authenticity from the grinding of existence and largely meaningless labour removed from beauty, the imagination, human relationships external to profit, and basic dignity.

Still don't explain paying £10 for part of something you can get for £1.

I recently purchased some "cards" which had been cut out of a White Dwarf and mounted on card to strengthen them. I paid £8.99 for them.

I would probably have bought the original magazine instead, if it was available, but I couldn't find it anywhere on eBay. Also, I quite liked the fact that the guy had done the hard work for me anyway (cutting and gluing to card), which I would not have been willing to do myself (I hate crafty stuff -- I'm a gamer, not a 'hobbyist'), so I didn't mind handing over the extra pounds.

Suthers

Whatever it is I tried to buy it and couldn't because it seems to be impossible to use Paypal to buy something from China (or at least that's how I read the 'this payment method is not accepted' message from ebay). It looked fairly legit to me in the photo, and, as as Lady McDeath is one of only four named characters from that scenario I've yet to get my hands on, I felt it was worth the risk. I guess I'll never know now, ho hum!

Back