The month of Marsh- season of Mists and mist monsters!

I agree. I was fond of the goblin faction in the short lived game Crucible. They had something similar -- sacrifices in the swamp to raise bog monsters. There's not a lot original thought in my Fomorian project. Most of it is borrowed. ;)

And I remember spotting that you had used that figure too. The shield is a dead giveaway. :)

I've been thinking about the "bog people" too. I was thinking maybe only a certain percentage of captives are successfully transformed, and maybe there is a reclusive mage with a necromantic bent who realizes this and has a bit of a symbiotic relationship worked out. He/she raises the failures from the bog as undead, and to stay on the Fomorians good side (as well as maintain a continued source of raw materials,) help them out when needed.

Fimm McCool

I had been thinking of changing the shield, but it was too much effort. :)

I've started on my project, a reimagining of the classic 'demonomaniac' picture-

Long way to go yet, but it's a start.

Attachments

• 2015-12-07 00.26.02.jpg
    2015-12-07 00.26.02.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 2,887
No way! I think the shield looks good, especially in context! The Demonomaniac looks good so far, though I'm not entirely a fan of either the concept in a Fimir/Fomorian army (a bit too chaosy?) nor the Misfits song that is always summoned into my head when I see that word. (As I think I already mentioned on FB.) :lol:

Almost forgot to post my own update!

Does it count as a St. Patrick's day thing to work on miniatures inspired by Irish myth?

I finished the the Troll Outpost swamp mercenary/Fomorian/Fimir.

20170318_010442_20170318010919664_zpsdalrqmuq.jpg

20170318_010425_zpsmsygvbzj.jpg

I've finished the sculpting work on the Reaper orc conversion. I happened to have one of my (very) few resin cast tails available, so I used that. The foot looks big in the photo, but I swear, it's not that far out of proportion IRL! Also prepped the four classic Citadel Fimir Fianna/Nobles. The guy on the left was originally mine back in the day, but had been converted to a champion of Slaanesh in the 3rd ed. RoC days, and had wings and a bright paintjob. At some point I gave it to a friend who was collecting Fimir because I figured that was a better use for it, and eventually it (along with the rest of his small but almost complete Fimir collection) made it's way back to me last year.

20170318_010525_zpsagag56vw.jpg

So that's what I will probably be working on next for the Month of Marsh!

symphonicpoet

Why had it never occurred to me that the Fimir are the Fomori? I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. (Okay, the last time I read the Mabinogian it had been moved to the Pleistocene, but still . . .) Nicely done! Look forward to seeing the rest of the gang in paint.

Gallivantes

Here comes my entry for Month of Marsh, my very own Fimir. I've never had one before, boy do I feel part of the cool club now :grin:

Been keeping an eye on the other Fimir projects and it's looking mighty cool guys. Can't wait to see them finished.

In the build post I mentioned he will be performing double duty as a Nurgle Ogre in my Chaos army, in case anyone is wondering about his less-than-typical Fimir getup. And his feet are a little smaller than your typical Fimir. That's his "shrunken toes" chaos gift, not me paying poor attention to the source material when I converted him, oh no sir.

file.php

Attachments

• Fimir_Painted.jpg
    Fimir_Painted.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 2,854

Fimm McCool

Ooh yeah! He cool. Might have to do one of them myself :)

ZeroTwentythree":2inb7x94 said:
I'm not entirely a fan of either the concept in a Fimir/Fomorian army (a bit too chaosy?)

I agree, I don't think they fit well described that way. However my Fimir don't take captives for reproductive reasons, they take them for rejuvenation reasons. They have to sacrifice to drain the essence of their victims and revitalise their ancient bodies in the process. Any of the clan who are exiled are not able to do this and their bodies begin to rot away even as they continue to grow in size. Hence I can have a few decomposing giant monstrosities wandering around the outskirts of my army. :)

Gallivantes

Thanks guys. I exercised some rare patience building up the head and neck in stages, taking care to form the cranial structure, the muscles and overlying skin in separate steps letting the previous step cure before going ahead. Glad to know it payed off enough to get some love :grin:

You mean make one from the same plastic chaos warrior Fimm? Yeah go on, that would be cool to see.

So many cool conversions and paintjobs in this thread! I had an idea for a marsh project to carry out during this month but I haven't had the time for it, so it'll have to wait for next year.

However, I have found some of the first terrain pieces I made in the late '90s, namely two little marsh/swamp/bog pieces. They were pretty simple to make: Just a few kidney-shaped pieces of thick, corrugated cardboard covered in plaster or filler. I can even remember roughly how they were painted: The ground was painted with Dark Angels Green and drybrushed with Camo Green. The wet area was painted with a layer of Regal Blue which was then covered with a mix of Dark Angels Green and Gloss Varnish (no worries about using Citadel paints for terrain projects back then :roll: )

I also added a few roots to look like dead trees or bushes, but they have pretty much broken off now. If I make some more swamps some day, I might make a few adjustments to these old ones to make them fit together.

Attachments

• Marsh, Bog or Swamp 1.JPG
    Marsh, Bog or Swamp 1.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 3,812

symphonicpoet

Now that's just showing off! . . . Which is, I guess, why we're here. ;) Love it, Fimm! I assume that's supposed to be a reference to some place with young boys who don't eat their supper and prefer going on rumpus? Gorgeous.

inchmurrin

At the coo's tail as usual I've managed to finish my contribution at last.

I decided to go for a relative of the Firmir, the salt marsh dwelling community. Mine is an Alternative Armies Fomorian Sea Demon with a Dark Eldar weapon head as his was broken off when I got him. I decided on the blue theme as I see him as being from the sea land margins of the salt marsh.

942919176_o.jpg

942919184_o.jpg

942919167_o.jpg

All comments welcome

UrchinJoe

Hi All,

Hope this fits here! I painted my only, lonesome Fimir a few months ago so I tried to make progress on my undead and frog-folk for the month of Marsh. It seems like all of these guys might be found lurking around the swamps, and it's a mix of old and new minis, probably about 50% Oldhammer-ish, and about 50% complete. I really hoped I'd finish the frogs this month, because it's Marsh and also because I've slightly hated painting the Reaper Bones (while the Otherworld lesser boglings have been a lot more fun), but seemed to make a lot more progress on the undead - kind of my comfort zone I guess.

Best,

Joe.

Attachments

• Fantasy_Frogs.jpg
    Fantasy_Frogs.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 3,725
  • Undead_March_2017.jpg
    Undead_March_2017.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 3,725
  • Troll_of_Chaos.jpg
    Troll_of_Chaos.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 3,725

Gallivantes

Nice to see the Month of Marsh projects come together.

Inchmurrin: Cool conversion on the spear there, the point and barb hook design works nicely for the maritime theme.
UrchinJoe: Sterling effort getting a whole batch done. Those frog ranges are blending well, looking cool there.

Back