The month of Marsh- season of Mists and mist monsters!

Fimm McCool":2dc1p5bc said:
Hmm, maybe they should be Misfits themed...

They've kinda got a bare chest and armbands thing going on... and only half the eyeliner for a Fimir!

And a skull obsession that will feel at home should you be inclined to use them with newhammer... ;)

Gallivantes

Too tempted by the Month of Marsh challenge I couldn't pass up the chance to cobble together my own one-eyed bog fiend. Not wanting to divert too much attention from my Nurgle army project I came up with this: A Fianna Fimm in Chaos armour, idea being that he can double as Nurgle Ogre.

I wrote a little backstory for him that I posted over in my army thread.
http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8794&p=83650#p83650

Attachments

• Fimir_Conversion.jpg
    Fimir_Conversion.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 1,893

symphonicpoet

The Mistfits? Is it time for a new Oldhammer band to join the battle; a band of Fimir rockers? (There should probably be banjos in this one, it being swamp themed and all.)

Fimm McCool

symphonicpoet":fgu4ch8z said:
(There should probably be banjos in this one, it being swamp themed and all.)
There SHOULD! :)

Galivantes, that conversion rocks! I never thought the humble placcy chaos warrior could produce such magnificence!

Gallivantes

Thanks Fimm, you know your Fimir pretty well so if I can sneak a Fimir conversion past you I feel like I've succeeded :grin:

Gallivantes

Fimm McCool":3rzzkc53 said:
You've got the right number of digits and eyes, that's ok by me. :)
I nearly forgot the fingers! After doing his left hand the other looked too narrow so I altered that too. But it was a blessing in disguise as it helped conceal the original sculpt.

All in all a really fun project that took me down a twisty road I'd never thought of myself. A testament to the power of this forum to jog one's inspiration. Hats off to you guys who encourage these themed exercises.

inchmurrin

Another great conversion! Should next years challenge be best mono pose plastic chaos marine conversion? Nahh you know who would walk away with it 2 days in. :lol:

Gallivantes

Tune in next week to watch me turn a glade rider and a bolt thrower chassis into a twenty strong unit of Tzeentch chaos dwarves with full command using only wood filler and a spatula! Only on oldhammer.org.uk!

Jokes aside thanks for the feedback :grin:

symphonicpoet":9hceodqr said:
Holy crap! I totally missed that that was the chaos warrior!
*fistpump* mission accomplished

Cool conversion. Good call -- could easily see it fitting with either Fimir or Nurgle.

I'm off to a slow start. I unpacked those figures I want to finish, but I've got some other obligations to wrap up first. Also dug out my bin & might paint up the original lead nobles/fianna as well. But right now I'm painting some of the awful new plastic minotaurs for someone and will need to cleanse my painting soul with some marshy goodness by next week. :lol:

Gallivantes

ZeroTwentythree":2f3ety3h said:
Also dug out my bin & might paint up the original lead nobles/fianna as well.
Original Fimir are a rare treat, shall enjoy to see them if you choose to do that.

But right now I'm painting some of the awful new plastic minotaurs for someone and will need to cleanse my painting soul with some marshy goodness by next week. :lol:
I think the official GW paintjob really tripped them up on a couple of points. More than anything on the whole model I couldn't stop staring at their exaggerated shin muscles. They haunted my dreams! The sculpted muscle itself is more reasonable (on the shin that is, the rest is... ample) it's the paintjob that did them in on the thing that bothered me the most on those poor, poor minotaurs.

Having said that, boy does the rest of the sculpt have issues in my opinion. Heads like English bull terriers, feet like seal flippers, a very flat footed gait. For a creature known for its bull head, hooves (or feet is fine, just no flippers please) and a frenzied personality those design choices really hurt the poor old minotaur in my book. Looking at them again I notice they have massive lower canines, no upper canines. The kind of stuff you see on orcs and maybe daemons. These fellows just keep on giving.

I have seen much nicer conversions of them, for examples as testosteron laden — if that's your cup of tea — ogres, they work a whole lot better. Work around the head and the feet and the models can have much more potential so I like to think there's hope for them.

I bet you they could even do a good fimir, if you wanted a huge muscled one! Sorry for going off on a tangent on those minos but see how I tied it back in with Month of Marsh? :)

At the risk of continuing the off-topic discussion... ;) Having painted three of the minos, and nearly completing three more, I changed my opinion from thinking maybe it was just the studio paint job to, "no, they really are some of the worst figures GW has done in a while." And I think it's a shame. While I'm a fan of the Oldhammer stuff (obviously) I also think the detail and dynamic design of some of the newer (plastic! But still mostly pre-AOS) stuff is really amazing. But these are unfortunately one of the exception.s The poses are very stiff and uninspired, the muscles are... ridiculous, not just in the over-exaggeration but in the confusing anatomy. And the scale creep is something I would think a professionally organized design studio would take more care in thinking out. My client assembled the figures, not me. And for the life of me, I can't figure out how to form them into a unit. (And that might be excusable if they were in dynamic poses, but as I said, they're not.)

When they first came out, I read a comment online, something along the lines that they looked like bread dough rising in twisted plastic wrap, and I still can't get that imagery out of my head. :lol:

Minotaurs done and out the door. Got to quickly wrap up my eight ahlf-painted conversions....

savfomor01_zpshszwnvsg.jpg

savfomor02_zpshwjskcqr.jpg

savfomor03_zpsxkyxrqjj.jpg

They will serve as lesser Fomorian warriors, or regular Fimm for WFB.

Fimm McCool

Lookin' good! I've got some stuff out of the way on my workbench and am in a serious painting mood, so we'll see what gets done! Though at the moment I am on Goblinoids.

Gallivantes

Really nice paintjobs and very effective conversion on that Fimir Zero. Yeah I agree that Reaper body is nice for stuff like this. I can't embrace the orc version all out myself, cause the right orc look to me will always be so firmly cemented in old Citadel (like the kind you're doing for your Goblinoids Fimm). But with another head like this that sculpt has a lot going for it I think.

I like the swamp burial/ritualistic resurrection idea. Not quite as controversial as the other, er, common perception. As an alternative idea it's quite dark so it keeps them sinister. Made me think of those "Bog People" that they find that have been buried for centuries in peat bogs. Victims of robbers they speculate. Yeah I bet, or failed Fimir!

Fimm McCool

Just because, here's my fimir conversion of the big orc guy-

Nice that they made the right number of digits too.
I also like the bog resurrection fluff. It's never actually stipulated how it is that Fimir use their abductees to generate more of their kind and creative interpretation like this just proves that Fimir fun can be had without all the smut... just a bit or dirt! :)

Attachments

• smaller.jpg
    smaller.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 2,828
Back