Augusts Painting Challenge - List of entries page 1

Aiteal

I'm away with work for a few days, will photograph my entries this weekend when I get home, didn't make a huge dent in the minis needed for my heroquest project.
Did 5 hobgoblins, 4 skellies, 2 zombies, a mummy (that I'm not happy with), the barbarian, mage and dwarf proxies and a lone chaos warrior.

I did get my August entries finished in time, honest! In fact they were ready the night before Oldhammer Weekend, but never got to see combat, and remained in the carry case :(

DSC_0148_zps48f9e4bb.jpg

Aiteal

crappy group picture of heroquest project minis I did this month, some touching up required

Attachments

• hq-minis.jpg
    hq-minis.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 6,567

ardyer

D'oh, meant to post this for John since he's had some problems figuring out what to put on shields. Here are the backs of the shields from the unit:

Just John

Thanks for that Ardyer. My entry for this is almost finished, I just have the bases to do. I blame the arrival of unit reinforcements for the delay. I was originally going to trade them on but then I thought why not do a juggernaut like in the fluff. The unit now stands 29 strong. All thats left are the bases so it should be finished tomorrow.

Asslessman

ardyer":2alit271 said:
D'oh, meant to post this for John since he's had some problems figuring out what to put on shields.

Wow, that's some very good shield back, if this just free hand, I'm very interested in your technique for such a result. MIne sucks big time compared to this and I'd gladly change for yours if you're OK for sharing. :grin:

That said, I'm not entirely finished with the Khornish boys. Still missing details here and there on a few of them + varnishing + finishing bases which makes this challenge a personnal failure. I have great expectations to them finished this week though. (oh and I forgot to put him on the pic but Mr "techweapon hand and snakehorns is finished" too

Attachments

• WIP Khorne.jpg
    WIP Khorne.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 6,760

ardyer

Asslessman":3cpuumsc said:
ardyer":3cpuumsc said:
D'oh, meant to post this for John since he's had some problems figuring out what to put on shields.

Wow, that's some very good shield back, if this just free hand, I'm very interested in your technique for such a result. MIne sucks big time compared to this and I'd gladly change for yours if you're OK for sharing. :grin:

The technique (the colors are my preference) was originally give to me by Jeff Wilson who won a bunch of US slayer swords, so it wouldn't be fair for me to keep it now, would it? BTW, he did it better ;)

It's pretty simple, I base the back of the shield Graveyard earth, a couple of thin coats. After that is dry, I mix in some dark brown (what ever the new name for scorched brown is, that's what I used) with Graveyard earth, and paint three lines representing the shadows between the boards. They need to be straight, but not perfectly so. The paint should be thick enough to go on in one coat, but not so thick that it looks like it is literally sitting on top of the shield. The next step is to tidy up the lines with Graveyard earth again, thin coats, as many as necessary. The next steps are all done the same way, just using thinner lines and attempting to stay on top of the previous layers line. But don't worry if you don't, this technique is pretty mistake tolerant. Basically, I use a mix of 50/50 Graveyard Earth/Kommando Khaki thinned with 50-75% water and draw lines down each board. You should barely be able to see them. I repeat a few times and then go mix in more Khaki...to the point where it's almost pure Khaki and repeat one or two times again. After this step, I start adding in Uthalan Grey (no idea what if there is an old version of this) and repeating until I'm happy with it. The photo above also has been finished with gloss varnish to make mistakes while painting the rims easier to clean up and because the varnish with the model is done won't reach the shield back very well anyway.

The trick is to just use thin coats so that when you don't perfectly retrace the lines of the previous layer it doesn't matter. What you're really going for is the appearance of wood grain which the eye will generally interpret a bunch of wavy lines as anyway. I used to be a lot better at it, but I don't paint much now so some of the lines are thicker than I'd like. Hope that helps!

Just John

Finally finished these guys. Adding the extra nine in seemed like such a good idea at the time.

Group Photo
DSC_0018.JPG

Eeza & command
DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

Musician and troopers
DSC_0022.JPG

Troopers
DSC_0024.JPG

Front Rank
DSC_0009.JPG

Face Off
DSC_0025.JPG

Just John

Golgfag1":3lslc8p3 said:
You need more Black Orcs

I do actually ;) 1 more MOthercrusher to make a round 30 all though I really should try and go really old school and have odd numbers in units and I'm trying to track down the rest of Nick Lunds N15 Black Orcs. Anyone have any spare?

Thantsants

Well I got half of this challenge done - the smaller half at least... :mrgreen:

The Druid Snart

King F'yar and his Wyvern still have some way to go. :oops:

Just John

Well at least its a start :grin: I'm sure you've posted it before but where did you get the barricades? and the stretcher? Great paint job on a great mini btw. Now go back to June and get that sorted ;)

Back