Return of the Magnificent Sven

Thantsants

Here's a few pics of the minis I've got painted so far for my sequel to the Magnificent Sven. I'm not going to be playing the original scenario that came with WFB 2nd ed. as there's no way I can afford the 70 Slann and 40 villagers it requires! The plan is to follow Sven's exploits as he and his victorious band of Norsemen and other hangers-on are ejected from the village of Vastervik by the villagers, angry at the state of the place after the victory celebrations.

It all started off with this little chap - Juggo Jorikson - who I think I picked up in a mixed lot off ebay for a couple of quid. I believe, having read the original scenario a few times that I need to paint his hair blue...

P4150030edit.jpg

I then got hold of most of the rest of the seven and entered them as a team in my first LPL (Lead Painters Leage - a painting competition over on the LAF), substituting the elusive Karl Ustracutter with one of the Heroic Fighters minis.

P5230711-1.jpg

Juggo, Sven Hasslefriesian and the Halfling stow-away, Raidocks Timmowit

P5230718.jpg

P5230719.jpg

The fair ladies - Riolta Snow, Elf tourist and the run-away Amazon, Karra Lakota

P5230714.jpg

Karl Ustracutter (replacement) and aging wizard, Aygar Mistletaine

P5230716.jpg

P5230717.jpg

Then a year later I had finally tracked down Karl and entered him into another LPL with this encounter with Kremlo, an orphaned Slann who has been raised by Norsemen, and star of his own scenario. He'll also be making an appearance in my sequel...

thantsants7a.jpg

P4161141.jpg

P4161143.jpg

The berserkers -

P4161139.jpg

P4161140.jpg

P4161144.jpg

P4161146.jpg

P4161147.jpg

P4161149.jpg

P4161150.jpg

P4161151.jpg

P4161153.jpg

P4161155.jpg

Kremlo the Slann

P4161136.jpg

P4161138.jpg

Up against them will be the remnants of Gurgyll Greenwake's gang, nursing cuts and bruises and a desire for revenge -

thantsants1.jpg

Warriors -

P4101102.jpg

P4101104.jpg

P4101105.jpg

P4101106.jpg

DSCN0267.jpg

DSCN0268.jpg

Venom Tribe scouts

P4101100.jpg

P4101107.jpg

Slave masters and lobotomized human slaves

P4101109.jpg

P4101110.jpg

thantsants4.jpg

P4101112.jpg

P4101111.jpg

The Amazons

P4151119.jpg

P4151120.jpg

P4151124.jpg

P4151127.jpg

P4151130-1.jpg

P4151131-1.jpg

P4151132-1.jpg

P4151135-1.jpg

And not forgetting some of Lustria's delightful fauna -

P4241124.jpg

P4241164.jpg

P4241154.jpg

P4241151.jpg

P4241143.jpg

P4241142.jpg

P4241139.jpg

Lots more to come - currently working on a colour scheme for the Amazon priestesses and pilgrims.

Zhu Bajie

:shock:

Beautiful. I'm very very jealous of that lot. Not only the collection, but the paint jobs as well. I started with 2nd and Lustria is what it's all about for me. We need a froth smiley.

Using the woad to tie together the Norse + Kremelo into a warband is a touch of genius.

One question, Juggo hair colour?.

Erny

I've admired these before but it doesn't hurt saying that these are beautiful again!

I have enough slann and villagers but with out using subs am shy on the character models, perhaps we have a contender for a joint effort at some as yet un-arranged meeting.

I have a bunch of unpainted amazons too, I'm supposed to be painting gobbos darn it!

Just John

Wonderful stuff as usual - when I started going down this Oldhammer path I (in my innocence) decided I was going collect the figures needed for the Magnificent Sven as I had the 2nd edition rules and a model of Sven's boat I made years ago. Then I saw the prices Slann were going after bidding on a few, did the maths and moved to Orcs & Goblins instead :grin: Now if I ever do go to Lustria I'll have to either win the Euromillions or use proxies.

Ti Pouchon

brilliant. Love those Amazons and Norsemen, very effective paintjobs!
What's the deal with the Amazons' pistols, though?

Erny

Tech left over from the original space slann (for whom the Amazons were a favored servant race), guarded and used by the amazons as important ancient near magical artifacts.

Blue in VT

Yeah truly amazing stuff. Your PJs on the various races are quite good...but I am totally blown away by your painting on the creatures...you achieve a level of reality with them that I envy greatly....the snake and toad/frog being personal favorites of mine.

I'm embarrassed to say that I know next to nothing about this scenario...is there a link to a summary or copy of the booklet?

Cheers,

Blue

treps

You might find a pdf version by looking for "magnificent seven warhammer pdf" on google...

I'm jealous, I've been wanting to do this for years !

Bruno

Thantsants

Thanks for all the kind words chaps!

Using the woad to tie together the Norse + Kremelo into a warband is a touch of genius.

One question, Juggo hair colour?.

Cheers Zhu - well Kremlo is a member of the BlueSpinespick Tribe after all.

Yes, I know it should be blue - painted him up before I got hold of the supplement. :roll:

Thanks by the way for the excellent stuff you wrote up about Dungeon Punk - you and Coopdevil have been quite influential in all this. :)

Ti -They also have access to needler and laser pistols and power swords! There's even rules in the 2nd ed. magic book for Slann power wands and weapons that can make you there slave if you haven't enough WP - once you are the weapon's slave you enter a trance-like state and travel to Lustria by any means possible to tend to secret and ancient machinery left behind by the ancient Slann. Once your task is done you are released and become master of the weapon and return with new skills and powers...

Thanks Blue - most of my figs are only ever painted to tabletop standard but I must have got lucky with the critters! The toad and snake are Otherworld minis and beautifully detailed - they pretty much paint themselves. Must admit I was quite chuffed with the scorpion as it was looking quite dull before I added the reddish tints to the claws and brown ink washes to the body. :)

I've been looking for an electronic copy of the original scenario for a while too - to go with my paper one of course. You can read the Kremlo scenario here

Here, by the way, are the scenarios I've written in sequel to The Magnificent Sven

Sven Rides Again

Reptile Round-up

Kremlo, I presume...

I have enough slann and villagers but with out using subs am shy on the character models, perhaps we have a contender for a joint effort at some as yet un-arranged meeting.

I have a bunch of unpainted amazons too, I'm supposed to be painting gobbos darn it!

when I started going down this Oldhammer path I (in my innocence) decided I was going collect the figures needed for the Magnificent Sven as I had the 2nd edition rules and a model of Sven's boat I made years ago.

Erny I think that is a great idea - with your Slann and John's boat we could pull this off. We just need someone with 40 villagers ready to go and a whole load of plastic aquarium plants... :twisted:

Seriously though I reckon playing The Magnificent Sven together would be a huge deal - what other scenario could we do with the original minis (I've got a few to get still - although don't understand what the Slann are doing with Hobhounds and would prefer to use Cold One Warhounds) which features a dead race - the Slann - and is generally what Oldhammer is all about? If we ever host a game at a Wargames show I think it might have to be this - or Orc's Drift, but that's a bit old hat now though! ;)

Treps - get painting up villagers and Slann and give us an even better reason for us to come and visit you than the wine and food of your region!

Thantsants

Oops spotted the Juggo hair colour comment in the post. Must learn to read and not just look at the pictures!

Well it was a bit of a glaring error on my part! :roll:

Anyone here snaffle that 2nd ed set - not a bad buy there.

Thantsants

Evening all - a while since I've paddled down the muddy brown waters of the Amoco River but here we are again with another Lustrian update.

Who is a Slann's best friend?

Why his lizard of course!

Or at least his Cold One Warhound to be specific.

100_0887.jpg

These old chaps have been lurking in the lead pile for far too long. I actually assembled and primed them back in the summer but what with one thing and another remained otherwise untouched until now.

100_0889.jpg

I decided on a vaguely crocodilian colour scheme as that seemed to be the main inspiration behind the minis. To contrast with those earthy tones their rather imposing handler got the yellow treatment with a nice flowery head dress. I had thought of giving him some black markings but this would have identified him with the Venom Tribe braves - he seemed to be of a slightly higher station than that.

100_0883.jpg

I will at some point get some of that jeweller's chain to make a pair of leads for the handler - lord knows I strike a similar pose on a fairly regular basis - leads stretched to breaking point and my two Labs doing their best to dislocate both my arms in their eagerness to greet some new doggy acquaintance! Mind you I have foreseen difficulties in storage, transportation and casualty removal should I tether the Slann handler to his charges. I've seen superglue used to stiffen chain before so that it holds the desired shape - this would negate the need to actually attach it to the Cold Ones, but would be a little brittle. Again any advice or tips would be most welcome.

100_0885.jpg

As you might have spotted I've also finished another piece of terrain. I've mentioned Amera before and this is another great (and very reasonably priced) piece from them.

100_0886.jpg

The terrace Ruins were looking pretty good with a simple base coat, drybrush and brown and green ink washes, but I went the whole hog and added extra rubble and crumbling masonry. A few bits of foliage and hey presto - a set of ruins that won't look out of place in the jungles of Lustria or a more Old World setting.

I've also been busy with the old miliput too. :grin:

Ever since I saw this pic in the Armies book...

slannunit.jpg

.. I knew that I wanted some Slann. Now that I have some I knew I wanted some Cold One Riders. With Jaguar pelts adorning their scaly backs.

So with the help of some great modelling and sculpting sites (sorry can't remember which now!), the additional pics of this fine specimen from Paul Benson's collection showcased in White Dwarf 98's 'Eavy Metal section, a load of miliput, my trusty Citadel modelling knife and a dried up biro, I set to work.

100_0905.jpg

I knew those marker pens and plastic wallets from work had a better use...

I started off by rolling out the miliput into thin sheets - talcum powder and a plastic sheet are your friends here. Then came the bit that caused me no small amount of trepidation - draping and cutting the miliput sheets into a vague jaguar pelt shape onto the Cold Ones. They didn't look too promising at this stage and I hoped I hadn't just plastered my lovely lizards with putty. However, after a bit of a going over with my old GW stippling brush (a Christmas present I never used for its intended purpose as the bristles were far too stiff to achieve the effects I wanted) the pelts began to look a bit more pelt-like - fur is a very forgiving subject matter!

100_0897.jpg

Then this evening, once the pelts had dried, I came to the tricky bit - sculpting the jaguar heads.

Sometimes you should just dive in and give it a go. My giant's toenails had come out ok, although big cat heads were a slightly different kettle of fish...

100_0901.jpg

Actually they turned out to be quite easy - shame I didn't think to take any progress shots, although I'm sure some professional sculptor or other sickeningly talented person has created a tutorial somewhere on the interwebz.

100_0895.jpg

First step was a roughly shaped blob to give the basic impression of the head. I used my knife to flatten out the jowls of the mouth and then rolled a tiny sausage that was slightly thicker and flat-ended at one end. This was to become the bridge and nose of the Jaguar once I had blended it into the rest of the face. A few flicks of the knife gave the nose a little definition along with the split in the lips where they meet the nose - whatever the scientific name for that part of a cat's facial anatomy is called?

After that I rolled a slightly thicker and longer sausage and draped it over the top of the bridge of the nose to form what I thought of as the brow ridge - again anatomical names fail me! From here it was a case of messing around, bending it round and blending it in to form the cheekbones and eye recesses - the biro came in handy here.

Finally I rolled out a very small ball of putty, cut it in half and positioned and sculpted the two halves to form the ears. A little light stippling - so as not to squash all my hard work - lent a little texture and covered up the rough bits and voila!

Although I'm no Jes Goodwin by any stretch of the imagination, I'm rather happy with the results, especially as these are my first real attempts at sculpting anything and I kind of made it up as I went along.

100_0903.jpg

Only problem now is that, as well as finishing off my standard bearer with a banner top, I'm going to have to tart up the riders with feathered headgear, spears and other accoutrements after all that...

Any suggestions on making such things would be appreciated!

Chico

Nice job :) trouble is now that my mind is now saying ''It's ok.. go buy some Slann'' But my wallets going aka Wife ''Don't you even dare or i'll cut your dangly bits off''

Thantsants

Its ok to buy Slann...

Its ok to buy Slann...

Sorry I'll stop now :twisted:

Glad you like them Chico!

Update today is mainly on these chaps, or should I say chappettes -

May I present to you the Bollrbrjótr - I'm sure you won't need a PhD in Old Norse to work out roughly what it means...

100_0920.jpg

They are led by Njora Bjattey for whom, as per the requirements for the Golden Gobbo's, I have written stats and a background story:

Njora Bjattey
Level 20 Norse Hero

OGG0010thantsants1.jpg

Stats

M WS BS S T W I A Ld Int Cl WP Pts
4 6 4 4 4 3 6 4 10+3 7 8+1 8+1 107

Equipment

Double handed sword and shield

OGG0010thantsants5.jpg

Background

Njora has come, quite literally, a long way since her coming of age in the bleak and quite frankly boring village of Helmfirth.

Completely unimpressed with the, in her opinion, pathetic example of manhood she was expected to be married to, Njora soon became known as a troublemaker. Not content with the daily hum-drum existence of running the homestead, disciplining the slaves and mending the fishermens’ nets, Njora soon came to the conclusion that it should be her wearing the trousers. Despite the fact that she cut a faintly ridiculous sight marching about her business, sporting her husband’s ill fitting britches (which had a tendency to bunch up into a wrinkled mess about her lower legs), there wasn’t a soul in the village brave enough to even dare a smirk at her expense.

And so it came to pass that one day Njora, much to the relief of her downtrodden husband, wrapped up what she considered to be her sword, hitched her britches up one last time and left. It was a time of exploration and colonisation with many enterprising and often clinically insane Norsemen signing up as crew for the long voyage to the fabled land of Lustria. Njora had no trouble finding a place on one of the long ships, despite a small misunderstanding between her and the captain over the issue of cleaning, cooking and mending the sails...

OGG0010thantsants4.jpg

To Njora, Lustria represented a new life to be lived on her terms. She would be free to seek out fame, fortune and her saga would ring out through ages to come. Little did she expect that the same prejudices would be waiting for her in the even more squalid and humid environs of the main Norse settlement of Skeggi. She was back to square one and what was worse, there weren’t even any slaves to flog.

Things came to a head shortly after she had humiliated the entire council of Elders during the annual harvest celebration. Smarting at the implied insult of being requested to freshen the councils flagons with ale, Njora proceeded to procure an axe and began to hack at the huge Hogshead that towered over the banqueting tables. The squealing and rending of wood splitting down the grain under enormous pressure was the last sound some of the more infirm council members heard before being overwhelmed by a deluge of shattered barrel slats and most of the year’s supply of beer.

This was the last straw and Njora was banished from the settlement and cast forth into the jungle to fend for herself. Where many might have quailed at the dangers that lurked round every corner of the hungry forests, Njora saw that her moment had come. Stopping only to retrieve her trusty sword, she marched resolutely off in search of adventure.

OGG0010thantsants2.jpg

It wasn’t long before the fiery Norse woman realised that she was by no means the first of her kind to suffer this fate. As she penetrated deeper and deeper into the fetid jungle, her brightly striped britches reduced to a single tattered rag of a loincloth, she happened across another settlement... run entirely by women.

OGG0010thantsants3.jpg

Yet it wasn’t that strange culture of Amazons, who the menfolk rightly feared, with their crumbling cities, great temples and technological weapons. The long, low huts had instead an unmistakably Norse flavour to them, as did the aromas of ale and roasting meat that wafted from their direction. Njora gazed at the sight and smiled - here was her home, among the outcasts of the Norsemen - the Womenfolk too strong-willed for their husbands, too feisty for the berserkers and more adept with a sword than the Bondi could tolerate.

Njora was welcomed in and, as time passed, she rose in prominence amongst her new kin. Her deeds brought these dispossessed women much renown and the men of Skeggi trembled to tell of her wrath. With the slaying of one of the great beasts of the forest and taking its pelt as her own, Njora Bjattey secured her place as Matriarch of the Bollrbrjótr of Lustria.

OGG0010thantsants6.jpg

Special Rules

Njora is a particularly fearsome example of what every sane Norseman fears - the Battle-axe. She exhibits many of the attributes that mark a Battle-axe out from the rest of the fairer sex as one to be feared. She is particularly renowned for her Withering Stare, which has been known to unman all but the most macho, blinkered or plain stupid of male opponents. The only warrior ever to have been unaffected by her icy glare was the famous alcoholic, Crompo. In fact he nearly had the dubious honour of making a good woman of Njora, having challenged her to single combat during a particularly violent raid by the Bollrbrjótr on Skeggi. If he hadn’t fallen asleep after subduing her in a wrestling match of titanic proportions, he might not now be known as Castrato...

Any male character model or male members (sorry!) of a unit that wishes to charge or is charged by Njora must first pass a WP test at a -2 modifier. If the test is failed the charge is carried out as normal but all stats for the model in base to base contact with Njora are subject to a -1 penalty. If the test is passed the charge and combat is carried out as normal.

Any unit or character who is pushed back and followed up by Njora, or the unit she is associated with, is automatically routed.

Missile troops who are within earshot (12”) suffer a -1 to hit penalty if firing at her or the unit she is associated with, due to Njora’s belittling comments and steely gaze.

So there we have it - a new faction for the Magnificent Sven and his merry band to fall foul of somehow - and definitely nothing to do with the Valkyries that were shoehorned into the Lustria of 5th Ed(?). If you have happened to browse through the Lizardman Army Book you'll be familiar with the strange retelling of how the Amazons were descended from the original Norsemen's Wives who were left to fend for themselves when their hubbies went off looking for gold. Forced to take up arms to defend themselves, they were then ejected from Skeggi presumably by the next wave of male settlers, unhappy with all these armed women wandering about. Thus the Valkyries set off and colonised an island somewhere and discovered a strange drug that gave them immortal youth...

Which is just plain silly - I much prefer the version where the Amazons retained their independence during the High Age of the Slann Empire, due to the value the Slann accorded them as thralls and acolytes. With the fall of the Slann Empire, leaving behind a primitive shadow of its former glories, the Amazons continued to prosper as they retained and preserved much of the High Age technology. Now ruled by the same Sisterhood that served the Slann, the Amazons form one of the more populous groups of native inhabitants in Southern Lustria.

In short, crazy, religious, drug chewing Warrior Priest women, who now tote the laser guns their Space Frog overlords once owned...

... Erm, hang on - maybe that sounds a little daft too, but I still prefer it!

Anyway, back to the Bollrbrjótr and here's the rest of the gang - just got a few more Citadel Female Barbarians to track down to finish them off.

Seems a while since I came up with any punning names - hopefully they're not too obscure.

Vaera Dukwróth - Lots of practice with flesh tones and blonde with this lot!

100_0922.jpg

I also decided to carry on the big cat theme on various shields and other items of clothing...

100_0924.jpg

And yes I know you don't get lions in the jungle - she seemed quite lion-y and it is Lustria we're talking about!

100_0921.jpg

Sibyl Fólti - I carried on the cat imagery on her shield too. This time its definitely a jungle cat - hopefully you might recognise it as an Ocelot from the markings, although I think the green of the eyeball may be a bit dull.

100_0928.jpg

It was quite a nice pallete of colours to work with - flesh, leather browns and gold. Hopefully I got enough contrast into the colour schemes though.

100_0927.jpg

Haha, and for once skimpy outfits and daft metal bikinis can be justified (kind of) what with the heat of the Lustrian sun!

100_0931.jpg

Bót Linche - the black warpaint on their faces actually came about as a bit of a cheat. The eyes are tiny on a lot of their faces and faces themselves are fairly devoid of detail, especially when you're more used to orcs.

100_0942.jpg

I wasn't happy with the way the eyes would often blend into the rest of the face, so the black warpaint became a way of accentuating the bottom of the eye and providing a bit of definition.

100_0941.jpg

That and they look a bit more savage-y!

100_0938.jpg

Brunhilde Ogdunn - I was reminded a little of the Amazonia Gothique by this model - probably the bows and lace thing'ummy on her boot.

100_0934.jpg

Rather than try and slavishly copy the colour scheme I just went for a few suggestive colour choices.

100_0933.jpg

Don't mess - she's a Red Head...

100_0932.jpg

Aena Shárpyls - our last Bollrbrjótr for now, although I am surprised at the prices some of these minis fetch on ebay. I hadn't realised it was such an avidly collected range.

100_0937.jpg

As Aena is showing a little more leg than the others, I thought I'd go the whole hog with the Conan style camouflage/warpaint thing - good excuse to watch the movie again too!

100_0936.jpg

In other news - the Cold Ones have received a base coat and an ink wash on the jaguar pelts to check they were looking ok.

100_0945.jpg

I'm being very unoriginal with my colour choices and pretty much copying the colour scheme from the Armies book. I love the blue look for the Cold Ones and it'll contrast nicely with the jaguar pelts, which do look a bit bearish at the moment...

Needz moar spotz!

phreedh

Great gang of amazons mate! Agree the pelts look a bit like bears now. I'm sure a little more paint will sort them out!

Ti Pouchon

Great stuff!

Good job on the pelts, too. Even though I have to say that they look a lot like bears.
I think it has to do with the ears. They are very round, whereas cat ears have a more pronounced tip.
Now that the gs is dry, perhaps you could just try and "sharpen" the ears a bit with a knife? You'd only have to re-apply base coat and ink afterwards.

Thantsants

Cheers guys!

But Phreedh, these are Amazons - ;)

P4151119.jpg

Ti - I think you're right. I oversimplified them a bit as I found miliput wasn't easy to manipulate with fiddly little bits like that. They have all been in surgery this morning and I think they look a lot more catlike - spots will help too eventually :grin:

Thanks very much Chico! I start with PVA and pour on sharp sand (normal stuff from the builders merchants), although I make a point of overlapping a bit onto the sides of the base. I then use brown ink on the sand when its dry, drybrush with Vallejo Game Colour Desert Sand and final light drybrush with Vallejo Game Colour Buff. Once all that is dry its back with the pva to make some splodges for static grass, leaving room for a siflor tuft (late autumn). I use a mix of a browny greeny grass (think it was a late autumn grass mix but can't remember) with a little bit of earth scatter mixed in - these are the browny, orangey spongey lumps you can see on Njora Bjattey's base in particular. Then I use a lighter green (spring possibly?) static grass on top of that.

I could do with buying some more of the 4mm tufts as there isn't much contrast in height with the 2mm and the static grass.

Back