9th Necromundan "Death Blades"

axiom

Filling the shoulder cavities was an inspired move. I never considered that as an option with that model, and it really helps. I like the checks myself :)

cheetor

axiom":1nbgw9o7 said:
Filling the shoulder cavities was an inspired move.

Agreed. Like a lot of good ideas it seems so obvious in retrospect, but it never occurred to me before now.

Jonas

What a great job on the Inquisitor. It really looks good with the paintjob and the re-worked shoulders.

Mat

Thanks peoples.
I didn't do a particularly neat job of filling in those shoulders, but it was partly disguised by the black paint job. There was a little groove where the putty joined the metal, so I used that as the edge of the cheque pattern to help disguise my lack of neatness! I'm sure some of the talented people on this forum could do a better job of it than I.

Just a quick update tonight. I have painted up another model. She is a callidus assassin armed with the neural shredder, phase sword and poisoned blades.
A0240B4A-3D57-468A-AE41-6604316BBA9C_zpsty2pwpzm.jpg

I consider this one of the newer models in my army. I was surprised that the tag said 1995, which makes her 20 years old.
I think the sculpt is pretty good, and seems to have aged well. I suspect it is a Goodwin sculpt because most of his models seem to stand the test of time.

That's it for now. Next up rapiers (probably).

Warburton

Nice work, simple and effective. I think the assassins were all sculpted by Goodwin, and are some of the older models still in current production (though they are probably in finecast now :|)

axiom

That's 20 years which have gone by in a flash. I still think of those assassins as 'new' too! Nice lenses on the suit :)

Mat

The current assassins were sculpted in 1990, but still look good. It seems some of us consider that new. :)

I have made a little progress over the last week, and finished another unit.
6th squad, 3rd (blue) platoon, F Company, 9th Necromundan, the "Fixxxers". When someone has a problem on the battlefield, three laser destroyer arrays usually fixes it.
E15C88EC-180F-4D45-A4A5-009D92E5468A_zpsogapgx3t.jpg

6D1009F1-D573-464B-A5E1-C72477479187_zpslwgmzwl8.jpg

BDC2FC82-2DC7-4E6C-9B4A-B70E2C20636E_zpsuzjfiveo.jpg

6A226945-85BE-4C9D-84FE-966BA9D04609_zpsju6ztfwa.jpg

So that's another squad done. Getting there slowly...

Mat

Hmm, it's really been way too long since I've painted any models for this army. It's not that I have finished them all, more that I've been distracted by so many other things.

I've been working on a squad of veterans lately, and have finished one of them off to see if I like the concept before I tackle the rest.

The intent was to give them camo stripes and kill pennants like the ones in the foreground of the old Imperial Guard Blanche painting.
blogger-image-892697655.jpg

I wanted the veterans to stand out from the normal troopers, but still look cohesive. So some camo stripes, and a few banners seemed like a good way to do that without being too over the top.
blogger-image-2065838628.jpg

The guardsman body is one of the old Rogue Trader plastic ones. I've added in a catachan plastic head, as I liked the idea of fewer helmets on the veteran to make them look a bit more badass. I also added a cadian plastic lasgun rather than the old stick lasguns (as I didn't have enough of the old stick ones for this army. One day I might cast some up, but it is way down on the priority list!).
blogger-image--1119429876.jpg

On the back you can see that I've stuck to the old death blades symbol on the flak armour. If I ever buy a fine enough brush I might add a bit more detail to these, but again, priorities...
blogger-image-1826355384.jpg

The base is a dragonforge resin one that I bought for this army specifically. I painted it up in my standard basing colour that I'm using for all my armies. This means that if I ever finish my gaming table then all my armies will look quite dapper on it. It also means that I can mix and match allies from different armies and they will look fairly unified.
I added a large static grass tuft to the veteran, to help show that these guys are some sort of vanguard/infiltrator unit. I have just noticed that I need to add a little more glue on the edge to stop it from lifting.

I personally think that the camo striping looks a little ragged, where the black edges meet the white on the stripes. I might need to invest in a better brush, as the one that I am using is a little dilapidated.

Any constructive criticism would be most welcome before I tackle the rest of the squad!

Mat

Thanks ardyer. I wanted to make them look a bit more decorated than the regular chaps, while still in keeping with the style of the old Blanche painting. Pennants seemed like an easy way to do that.

Update time. I've completed the unit now, so 10 more psychopaths are ready to be added to the grinder.

Here you can see the unit. I've gone for fully plastic, with catachan heads to look gangsta, and a metal sergeant.
blogger-image-587789931.jpg

Here are the lasgun pennants. I also added some detail to the sergeants chainsword. Such a nice model, that one. I really like it.
blogger-image-1232444438.jpg

The melta guns are forgeworld resin ones. I like the old school look that they have, so was happy to add them to this unit.
blogger-image--39971565.jpg

And here is the weapon team, complete with a pennant copied from the old box art. The pennant doesn't have legible text on it. I might look around for some fine detail pens and see if I can add it on later. "Amid the weeping and the woe..."
blogger-image--1763807717.jpg

Mat

Hmm long time no post. I have mainly been lurking here, as well as painting as much epic stuff as I can manage.

But I have added a few more models to the army, so figured it was worthy of an update.

blogger-image-1087134958.jpg

1st Squad, Green Platoon, are given better armour, better weapons, a liberal amount of combat drugs, and thrown in the worst situations the Death Blades encounter.

Their medic and commanding officer, Lt Burr, are arguably the worst of the bad bunch.

Medic.
blogger-image--1668545479.jpg

Lt Burr.
blogger-image--1480502982.jpg

Here you can see a guardsmen armed with a ryza pattern lasgun, that is different enough to the other lasguns in the army to be able to count as all sorts of interesting guns.
blogger-image-1314927573.jpg

So hooray, another squad done!

Mat

A belated "cheers" daddyorchips. :)

I'm currently distracted by my old lead undead, so this army is basically stumbling at the last hurdle. I only have a handful of models left to paint!

But I've done a few more of the hangers-on in the last couple of days.

From the dark depths of the late 80's and early 90's come a Tech priest and servitor retinue.
blogger-image--1457993869.jpg

blogger-image--743125315.jpg

With heavy Bolter bodyguards...
blogger-image-1012497678.jpg

And servo arm dudes...
blogger-image-1051592033.jpg

These will be handy in rogue trader games, as you need custodians of you want to take vehicles. So if I want to run my sentinels and thudd guns for example I need these guys.
In the current Imperial Guard list they probably won't get a lot of use as I won't be running a lot of tanks that will need fixing.
But still happy that they are added to the "finished" box!

Back