208.2 KB · Views: 10,759
  • wyvern-front.jpeg
    wyvern-front.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 10,759
  • wyvern-rear.jpeg
    wyvern-rear.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 10,759

Curis

That's a really nice set of cohesive regiments. I love how you've worked in the old two=piece plastic Goblins into the archer regiment. The basing style is very busy and adds to the visual chaos of the ragtag group of greenskins really well. The way you've picked out all the shields on Ruglud's with freehand and bright colour looks great.

Ketil Trout

Thanks very much Gallivantes, I'm a big fan of your chaos thread. I have the beginnings of a small chaos warband, but that's for much further down the line. I have some stuff for the greenskins underway which required much more modelling, a couple of quite heavily converted wyvern and a war altar that's mainly scratch built. I will put some photos up in the WIP thread later

Tex

I love them individually and the general chaotic feel of the regiments, fantastic work!

Ketil Trout

Thanks Curis, the plastic goblin archers were amongst the first fantasy battle miniatures I owned after I started with Heroquest. I have a unit of orcs from the same regiment box underway, hopefully completed soon. I had a quick peak at your blog and love your cockatrice, a lovely old miniature,

Tex, thank you muchly too. Have spend many hours looking over your orcs, so I'm really glad you like mine.

Here are some ogres I forgot to add earlier

Gallivantes

Hooray, Goodwin ogres! You did them justice, very cool. Lovely work on the bases.

Looking forward to see that Chaos warband in due time too. If it's half as nice as the orcs it will be worth waiting for.

Tex

Ketil Trout":g2w0gslv said:
Thanks Curis, the plastic goblin archers were amongst the first fantasy battle miniatures I owned after I started with Heroquest. I have a unit of orcs from the same regiment box underway, hopefully completed soon. I had a quick peak at your blog and love your cockatrice, a lovely old miniature,

Tex, thank you muchly too. Have spend many hours looking over your orcs, so I'm really glad you like mine.

Here are some ogres I forgot to add earlier

Of course I like yours: you can't realise how I'm envious of you, being able to sit back and contemplate entire regiments painted and based that well!
Being on holiday next month, I hope to complete the third ( :cry: ) orc...stay tuned

Scalene

Consistent quality and sheer numbers are brilliant. Attention to detail - it's got everything. My goblinoids are just a mess by comparison.

Plaiecivile

That first unit of 40 goblins is a pure mayhem of insubordination. Just like any goblin unit should be. There is so much to look at, I love it!

The bases just make these come to life.

Don't think I've ever seen that vywern before. It's a cool mini.

Fav unit: it HAS to be the Ogres for me as I've never actually seen a full unit from that era before.

Orjetax

Niblebitzer":2ivh56tr said:
Sweet greenskins. Love those bases too.

I second the love for those bases.

What's the mix of static grass you use on these? It's tremendously effective.

Ketil Trout

Thanks for all the kind words, I am humbled to receive them.

A couple of people have asked specifically about basing. I have used a mix of regular slottas,resin rough ground bases from daemonscape on Ebay and plain laser cut mdf bases. I glue a layer of sand and finer stones I have collected from nearby with pva, and then pva again to seal. I base coat with Vallejo's Burnt Umber and dry brush with a few lighter browns from Army Painter, I tend to use a mix of these two brands with a few Citadels too depending on what I need to pick up and how urgently I want it. Rocks tend to get painted in grey and dry brushed with lighter tones. Then I apply a mix of static grass, clump foliage, lichen and birch seeds

I also have a few varieties of tufts which I like to mix in from grassy green ones to browner dead ones. Finally I have some dried twigs and sticks I have gathered that I add to finish off the bases. Hope that's enough detail for those that are interested.

Scrollmaster asked about the wyvern model, its just a Marauder War Wyvern from 1990 with the Orc Champion rider and a little bit of bending of the wings to make it look a bit less static. It was also available with a Shaman rider which I have so far been unable to track down, if anyone has one to sell or trade please pm me.

Finally, because Niko asked so nicely, here are some old goblin spider rider heroes...

Attachments

• basing materials.JPG
    basing materials.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 4,012
  • more basing material.JPG
    more basing material.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 4,012
  • goblin spider riders.jpeg
    goblin spider riders.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 3,979
Back