Toison's bretonnian gallery

Toison d'or

As promised, my firsts "bloody pictures", mostly bretonnian (I also possessed a few mercenaries) and made by the Perry twins.

I begin with my two lasts minis. I now specialy apreciate the champion ; at first glance (before painting) I found him too complicated with is over sized crest.
imgp0310.jpg

imgp0214.jpg

imgp0215.jpg

imgp0219.jpg

imgp0220.jpg

imgp0223.jpg

imgp0311.jpg

I hope you'll enjoy ... :)

Asslessman

We actually do... in awe.

an, this spiral on the lance is making me jealous. I really like the depth and rchness you've given to thoses caparisons. It's greta to see the variety that Bretonnians allow from Harry's to yours with Tancrede and others like SCL.
I'm really curious about how you design your paintjobs, do you strictly follow some heraldic rules? do you just paint them as they come?
Now I ant to get my brets back on the painting field!

Toison d'or

Thanks for the compliments. ;)

Asslessman":f5k5zlp4 said:
I'm really curious about how you design your paintjobs, do you strictly follow some heraldic rules? do you just paint them as they come?
At the begining I loved a burgundian manuscript depicting, amongst others, the armes of the knights of the golden fleece. I even bought a replica !
Grand armorial équestre de la Toison d'or
I bought my first bretonnian knight in order to copy these arms. I made one, two ... now they are 29.
I spent years doing an army with a burgundian theme (artillery, infantery, even a castle :? ). Last year I began to add a more fantastic touch (a pegasus) and I left my beloved "armorial" for these two knights. It was the first time I was free to choose my colours : before I had to follow strictly the existing armorial bearings. But, of course, as they have to join an existing army, they must respect the general rules of heraldic. Moreover, I think these rules made a much more readable armorial bearings.
For the champion, I simply used the engraving on his shields : the grail with the two lions.
Same for the trumpeter : on the flag under the trumpet is a "fleur de lys". I simply added a lambel.

For other questions, feel free to ask : I love speaking of my knights :grin:

Asslessman

I get it. I tried for my bretonnian to keep blue for caparisons and for the duke's coat of arms. This leaves little choice since blue (Azur) is an enamel and the only enamels I had left were red and black with white and yellow as metals. I realised it was very hard to build realistic heraldry with just these but I like the result.
One thing though, how did you do the spiral on the lance?

Harry

Well they are alright I suppose ... if you like that kind of thing. :grin:

Is there anyone in France who can't paint worth a damn?
If so can one of you boys invite them to join this forum ... your making us look bad. :grin:

Toison d'or

Asslessman":o69jx42e said:
One thing though, how did you do the spiral on the lance?
I can answer that, I even have a photo to explain !
I painted the lance white, then used a thread around the lance with Milliput to have a scheme as regular as possible, then I put the red. Et hop. ;)
img_0310.jpg

Harry":o69jx42e said:
Is there anyone in France who can't paint worth a damn?
If so can one of you boys invite them to join this forum ... your making us look bad. :grin:
Of course we have ...maybe they're less interested in Old Warhammer : they train on New Warhammer. ;)
And rest assured : you don't look so bad. I only put an eye on the Showroom section, but some worth their weight of gold. :shock:

Blue in VT

Very nice indeed...I have these very figures sitting on my desk and know they will never be this fantastic. Also thanks for the link to that wonderful historic resource...I'll need to take a few hours to pour through that. I had never considered painting the inside of the cloth barding a different color than the outside....but this resource clearly shows that that was fairly standard....a whole new world of color options opens up!

Cheers,

Blue

Thantsants

Wonderful stiff - I think its the yellows/golds on the champion's lions and grail motif that impress me most - that and everything else 8-)

Toison d'or

Thank you both ! (better late than never ;) )
Three years latter, I finally made another couple of these wonderful bretonnians minis. My grail unit is growing, only missing a standard bearer, but the prices of thees minis on e-bay is just amazing ... :(

imgp3210.jpg

imgp3213.jpg

imgp3212.jpg

imgp3216.jpg

imgp3214.jpg

imgp3217.jpg

And a "family picture" of my four grail knights :

imgp3219.jpg

Hope you'll enjoy these two, I'll come back with new pics in less than three years :lol:

Back