Is it Oldhammer?

winterdyne

Is it Oldhammer, is it not? Slambo doesn't care, he's coming to chuck axes and inappropriately invade your personal space.

If you're unfamiliar with this new version of Slambo, note that's a 40mm base he's on. He's fricken' ENORMOUS. This is not your granddaddy's scalecreep, son.

slambo1.jpg

slambo2.jpg

While I much prefer the older, original version, I really love your paint job on this newer incarnation. Top job as per usual :)

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

winterdyne

Yeah, I kinda want an original one now - I was gonna use this one with my Oldhammer Nurgle force, but he's ridiculously oversized.

Gallivantes

This thread inspired me to rethink the new Slambo sculpt... scale creep + 40mm base + ENORMOUS = Ogre conversion! Thanks for the idea guys :)

I made an ogre sized body conversion a while back using the old plastic monopose chaos warrior. He had the height but lacked the girth which I got around rather easily by simply splitting him down the middle, shimming with sprue and then greenstuff over the seam.

I took my hoverboard over to my computer mainframe, put on my laser plasma goggles and tried the idea out in virtual reality 2d sim software on new Slambo. Result was pleasing. Some bits still too slender; I had to add a tiny bit of heft to the axe shafts, bulk out the inside of the thighs a little and then forge some new armour flaps for the groin. I used an old 40K Ogryn head. I reckon there are a few various Ogre/Ogryns heads that would work equally well. He looks a bit like the bastard child of Slambo and the C23 Skrag the Slaughterer in my book.

So now I know what I'm doing if I get my hands on a new Slambo. Sorry for hijacking the thread a little, paintjob looking good! I have been drooling over your Nurgle Warband thread Winterdyne, impressive stuff! Looking forward to the new additions. Three beasts of Nurgle I say *grumble* some people have all the luck *mutter* *grumble* rich parents I bet *mutter*

Attachments

• Slambo_Ogre.jpg
    Slambo_Ogre.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 3,445
I love your paint job but hate this figure. Its a crisp cast and a nice plastic kit....but lacks any kind of animation or believability. It looks like a lump of finely carved plastic, not a fearsome warrior. Its just dead and turgid. Im not against plastics or modern GW but I hate their "re-imagined" versions of old sculpts. The 30 year marine was so awful, I much prefer the originals. Same with slambo. AGian, its not the medium as I love the heroquest Slambo and that is plasic.

I agree about giving it an ogre head. Also the upper body could make for a good armoured dragon ogre type thing. It is really the bandy legs which let down thgis miniature as far as i am concerned.

winterdyne

This chap's in finecrap, er, finecast.

I luckily enough got a fairly decent cast - a few very tiny bubbles to deal with and the usual flash/mould lines.

On the plus side, that stuff cuts like butter, so easy enough to convert if that's your aim.

Zhu Bajie

ramshackle_curtis":2u0slgvf said:
I can think of better models to spend £15 on really. I mean, look at theose leg joints, they suck! How is he supposed to move his legs?

It's a model, not an action figure. It has zero points of articulation. :grin:

Obligatory answer for the OP: No. It's not Oldhammer.

I dunno about the comments about the quality of the model. Slambo v1.0 was pretty static. I never held it against him. This new one is well done, it just doesn't trigger the same sense of nostalgia. The paint job is amazing - I have always been too lazy to try NMM. He probably wouldn't have looked so good plastered in the humbrol enamel silver I was using when the original Slambo first appeared.

winterdyne

Sure. VMA: Vallejo Model Air, VMC: Vallejo Model Color, VGC: Vallejo Game Color, GW: Citadel

Steel:
Basecoat VMA Gunmetal Grey.
Heavy wash GW Agrax Earth, concentrate to areas of shade.
Highlight layer blend VMA Gunmetal Grey
Shade glazes 80-20 VGC Heavy Sienna & VMC Flat Black Glaze in with Gunmetal grey if needed.
Highlight layer blend 80-20 VMA Gunmetal Grey & VMA Aluminium
Highlight layer blend 50-50 VMA Gunmetal Grey & VMA Aluminium
Edge highlight VMA Aluminium.

Gold:
Basecoat VMC Old Gold. (VMC Bronze works a bit better).
Wash GW Reikland Fleshshade.
Highlight layer blend VMC Old Gold
Highlight layer blend 60-40 VMC Old Gold & VMA Aluminium
Edge highlight 60-40 VMA Aluminium & VMC Old Gold
Shade glazes 50-50 VMC Old Gold, VGC Heavy Sienna (very sparingly needed, generally just to sharpen edge highlights).
Extreme spots VMA Aluminium.

Both use NMM style contra-highlights. You blend up the gradient to the 'shade', and ensure the darker parts of gradient are right next to your 'upward' edges. Where possible have adjoining surfaces have their gradient run in opposite directions. This creates a lot of contrast and makes the thing look much shinier.

Also note both have their shades done with quite matte glazes - this stops the shade reflecting and causing false highlights, and again makes the thing look shinier (because the specular reflection from your actual metallic highlight becomes much stronger in contrast).

Nice info, thanks winterdyne. I have been trying to do this nnm style painting with metallics but so far with limited success. Good to see it explained.

Thanks for the details. I never heard of using NMM techniques with metallics before. I need to grab a model I don't care too much about and give it a try.

winterdyne

NMM works by fooling your eye for contrast, which is one of the main reasons we do things like highlighting and shading on models.

Interestingly you can also use SENMM (Sky-Earth) techniques (in proper 80's logo text stylee) to make something look REALLY reflective.

chapter_master_wip10.jpg

OSL reflections on metal (the red glow from the sword) are difficult...

Back