A strange question about "archaeopainting" ?

Masp

Greetings

as I am more a painter than a gamer, I would like to paint a
3rd ed mini with only paints that were available between the late 80's and the early 90's in UK...maybe it sounds bizarre to your brain but it's like that :razz:...that's what I call "Archeopainting" !!! :lol:

Therefore I would like to know if, apart Citadel paints, the "Miniature paint" range was available at this time in local shops...I read somewhere that this range is available since 1987...if some "UK veterans" could confirm that they saw this paint range in their local shop around 1990 (well, if they can remember it :grin:), it would be nice.

Thanks in advance for reading this.

David

Just John

Re: A strange question about "archeopainting" ?

Considering I studied archaeology in college I reckon I am highly qualified to answer this question :grin: ! I have a couple of bottles of 'Miniature Paints' and I'm fairly sure I bought them before I went to college in 1991. Good paints too, still usable after all these years.

Slán

John

Thantsants

Haven't heard of them myself but then again I didn't buy many other paints after I got the Citadel creature paint set back in the day - lasted me ages!

Orlygg

I paint all my 3rd edition miniatures with the original colours from the box sets; Citadel Colour Paint Set, The Creature Paint Set, The Monster Paint Set, The Ork and Eldar Paint Set and the Expert Paint Set. All these sets I have bought on eBay and they are as good today as they have always been. It is particularly useful to use them if you plan to use the old Citadel painting guides and 'Eavy Metal articles published in the later 80s or early 90s.

But worry not, all the original colours (though the names are slightly different) are still available from Coat d'Arms and they are still in the same pots!

Here is a link...

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/coat_darms/paintcolours.php

Blue in VT

The other "archaeo-paint" that I use was produced by PollyS paints...they still make some ranges. It there fantasy PO e died in the late 90s. I'm in the states thou so don't know if was available on your side of the pond.

@orlygg...were those classic paints expensive on eBay? I've never looked at their pricing.

Blue

Orlygg

@orlygg...were those classic paints expensive on eBay? I've never looked at their pricing.

Not really... If I recall correctly I was paying about £10 a box set about 18 months ago when I was collecting. Of course, I saw sets go for much, much more (particularly the Expert Paint Set- those inks! There really is NOTHING like them!). Once I had all the boxes I just bought up job lots here and there. Some colours (particularly the metallics) don't always age well but on the whole, the paints are as good now as they were when they were produced 25 years ago.

The best thing about using them (apart from lifting them from the classic boxes) is the smell! Nothing like it before or since!

Thantsants

Mmmmm - might have to track some down for that smell.

It has the benefit of not meesing your head up as much as polystyrene cement which is the other scent that brings back fond memories of my mispent (through modelling and not substance abuse I might add) youth. :lol:

Thehermit

I believe wargames foundry range of paints is made by the same company that made all the old citadel paints before they switched production to France and now back again.
The range is a hell of a lot bigger though!

Masp

thanks for your answers

So the Miniature paints were available at this time...with citadel old range (I own all the 80's 90's paint sets except Expert and Metallic paint set), MP is one of my favourite brand, the colours are very different of the others paints, just love them and highly recommended them

Formula P3 is very good too and, as the original citadel, was designed by Mike McVey (and is made by HMG, the same company who make the coat d'arms and foundry ranges)

treps

For my part I switched from citadel (original paints, then the hexagonal pots with white cap) to foundry paints some 10 years ago or so, and will not get back, the 3 steps paints are very fine for me who only does tabletop painting and I really do like the consistency and pigment concentration of the paint.

Bruno

Thehermit

treps":cvbqsa8d said:
For my part I switched from citadel (original paints, then the hexagonal pots with white cap) to foundry paints some 10 years ago or so, and will not get back, the 3 steps paints are very fine for me who only does tabletop painting and I really do like the consistency and pigment concentration of the paint.

Bruno

I have to agree with Bruno, Foundry paints are fantastic and the triads work well. if you want to be more subtle with them you can obviously mix between the A-B-Cs .
Untitled.jpg

heres my desk full of paints, i think i only have GW inks now

Masp

Ah the old citadel paints...goodness of colors

I believe that one day I will find my Grail

bf71_1.jpg

not the Metallic paint set but the Burnished gold which, I believe, is different of the shining gold (which looks a little bit "greenish")

Is someone had tried this Burnished gold ? How it looks like ?

Thantsants

Haven't tried that one but you're right about the shining gold - never got on with that one and it definitely had a green tint unless you shook it for hours!

Back