A Nottingham Wargames Tour - Where To Go?

axiom

Ok chaps, lets suppose someone set up a coach tour of Nottingham to visit all the key historic sites from the history of tabletop wargaming.

Where should the coach go? Old GW locations? Foundry? Asgard?

What do you think?

Chico

So Breakfast in a Pub then Foundry, after that a Pub, Pub, Pub & Pub followed by a cheeky Pint or 3 in maybe a Pub?.. then home for a Bacon sandwich. :)

Best. Tour. Ever.

Skarsnik

I think the issue with visiting old GW related sites is that most of them are just office blocks, or have been redeveloped as flats or houses. As was demonstrated at the weekend, it was the people that made GW, not the locations.

I think a better idea would be to visit GW, then follow the trail of the companies set up by ex GW staff over the years; Foundry, Mantic, Warlord Games etc. You could talk to all the people there about their memories of GW past as well as seeing the stuff they are up to now.

Plus, as Chico rightly suggests, pubs!

Orlygg

Or even better, film the journey, arrange interviews and create an Oldhammer documentary and put it on Youtube!

Chico

Orlygg":nxhjb5y5 said:
Or even better, film the journey, arrange interviews and create an Oldhammer documentary and put it on Youtube!

Well volunteered there Og, but may i add.. maybe add in a Pub or 2... Not that i like beer or anything... :roll:

Bryan once suggested it might be worth looking under the floorboards of the Newark Folk Museum for old figures that might have slipped between the cracks... :)

axiom

Gah! Undermined by beer loving gamers. Of course the people made the culture, but I'm interested to see context - it helps me visualize all the comments in the interviews ;)

Zhu Bajie

There you go Chico, now you can recreate the lunchtime walk from Citadel to the Man in Space (the pub immortalised By Dave Andrews as the Slann in Space in Warhammer 2nd edition, and I think one of the scenario packs has a pubsign too)

http://goo.gl/maps/TwHHm

Warning: pub might have closed down.

Golgfag1

No wonder, why you wargame on a budget!

Paul / Golgfag1

Chico":1afd82el said:
So Breakfast in a Pub then Foundry, after that a Pub, Pub, Pub & Pub followed by a cheeky Pint or 3 in maybe a Pub?.. then home for a Bacon sandwich. :)

Best. Tour. Ever.

Back