Obscurest Citadel Diorama Ever!?!

Zhu Bajie

Ninja! Samurai! Ogre! Diorama! Nostalgiaaaa!

Runequest: Land of Ninja!

Attachments

• oriental.jpg
    oriental.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 2,919

Erny

Got to love those bare polystyrene cliffs and rocks. Arranged vertically like that stuck to a painted backdrop, very reminiscent of the mid to late 80's. I'm assuming this is from the GW edition of Land of Ninja! Missing form my collection but may have to get it. Is there much unique art work in there or just a lot of reused mid 80's GW stock art?

Zhu Bajie

Erny":3q8bnf4t said:
Got to love those bare polystyrene cliffs and rocks. Arranged vertically like that stuck to a painted backdrop, very reminiscent of the mid to late 80's. I'm assuming this is from the GW edition of Land of Ninja! Missing form my collection but may have to get it. Is there much unique art work in there or just a lot of reused mid 80's GW stock art?

Lol! You've seen GW Runequest III then. My goodness recycling must have been in fashion in the late 80s. There are couple of front covers from Way of the Tiger gamebook series are reproduced full-page, and one WD cover that I recognize but I think most of it is original (I don't have access to the AH LoN to check against or the WoTT internal illustrations) It is all samurai and ninja and oni so I don't think it is recycled from GWs morguefile.

Steve, yes it's from the Games Workshop edition of Runequest Land of Ninja.

Are any of those models in the recycled Samurai range from Foundry? - I looked but couldn't spot them

weazil

Marcus mentioned to me that they do have the ninja that come with the samurai range, although they're not on the site.

Erny

Makes you wonder what other gems are hidden in their vault.

I love the RQIII books from GW. Loads of recycled content but it's all good. May have to stump for Land of Ninja even though oriental adventures are not really my thing.

May be we should have an anarchic diorama competition. To capture the spirit of these mad multi level master pieces. New minis welcome as much as old.

Whitesun

What is this RQIII Land of Ninjas you speak of? Is the content worth picking up just for some nice pic? Great diorama!

Naagruz

Erny":2mhz4zm2 said:
May be we should have an anarchic diorama competition. To capture the spirit of these mad multi level master pieces. New minis welcome as much as old.
Love that idea! :grin:

Great find Zhu!

Padre

Good idea, for people with a LOT of time on their hands.

Mind you, I have thrown together temporary multi-level 'dioramas' for warhammer internet campaign 'fluff' reports (hopefully someone will know what I am on about) on several occasions. Usually I take stuff I already have to fabricate a scene. Like when I needed to show a skaven mine shaft with Estalian slaves working in it ...

MineShaft1.jpg

Multi-level or what? It's just the reverse of an old lolly stick siege tower with ladders and chains thrown on and using the temporary clay and card background I had stuck together for the campaign (knowing their was gonna be a lot of underground scenes). Don't judge the piece artistically, though - it was merely an attempt to add images to a fluff story to get my team some points in the game.

Zhu Bajie

Nice one padre, that's a lot of lollys!

Whitesun":3sm157z4 said:
What is this RQIII Land of Ninjas you speak of? Is the content worth picking up just for some nice pic? Great diorama!

RQ is Runequest, which is a roleplaying game created by Greg Stafford which is hugely influential on the development of Warhammer. RQIII is the 3rd edtion of the game which Games Workshop put out a UK edition of in the mid-late 80s, while Avalon Hill put out the US (GW. also did a UK RuneQuest 2nd edition). All the GW RQIII books contain a lot of art from the citadel and games workshop archives - some of it old black and white art that has been coloured in.

If you like fantasy ninjas, or want to run an RPG set in a fantasy orient, then Land of Ninja is probably worth a look, but in my opinion it's more of a curiosity than a must have.

Back