Call that Oldhammer ... THIS is Oldhammer

No mention of some scrote nicking your models whilst you're taking a leak or the jealous opponent trying to damage your paint jobs!

Harry

Is that part of Oldhammer? :shock:

*Rethinks plans to take large chunks of collection to Oldhammer day.*

Chico

I like the fact he fired his toy cannons for real and didn't even care if the figure were damaged as he'd just melt them down.

Harry":2uv1dn7n said:

Perhaps not so much Oldhammer but certainly a few scare stories I've heard over the years. I think Oldhammerers are probably a far more honest and respectful bunch. :grin:

bug16

stone cold lead":ep56qaqg said:
Harry":ep56qaqg said:

Perhaps not so much Oldhammer but certainly a few scare stories I've heard over the years. I think Oldhammerers are probably a far more honest and respectful bunch. :grin:

The potential theft of stuff from the Oldhammer event has actually been on my mind recently. I'm not expecting problems and we just need a bit of common sense with those of us who are bringing armies. I.e. don't leave full figure cases laying around on their own and don't leave the gaming tables unattended. Also don't leave your models in the boot of your car, a friend lost his army doing that!

Zhu Bajie

Nice to see Phil Barker getting in the mainstream media (he's mentioned in the dedication to 2nd Ed.) The early history of war gaming is really interesting, been looking at Tony Bath's Hyboria of late, fascinating stuff.

bug16":2qvebwmc said:
stone cold lead":2qvebwmc said:
Harry":2qvebwmc said:

The potential theft of stuff from the Oldhammer event has actually been on my mind recently. I'm not expecting problems and we just need a bit of common sense with those of us who are bringing armies. I.e. don't leave full figure cases laying around on their own and don't leave the gaming tables unattended. Also don't leave your models in the boot of your car, a friend lost his army doing that!

Doesn't the street that Foundry is on have a really high rate of car crime?! I'm sure I've heard plenty of people mention that over the years. Certainly a good idea to take everything out of your car.

lenihan

Zhu Bajie":5nembfm7 said:
Nice to see Phil Barker getting in the mainstream media (he's mentioned in the dedication to 2nd Ed.) The early history of war gaming is really interesting, been looking at Tony Bath's Hyboria of late, fascinating stuff.

We have a copy of his book "Setting up a wargames campaign" somewhere...

Just John

Both Bath's and Featherstone's books on setting up campaigns are well worth reading as well as the latters book on solo wargaming.

lenihan

Haven't seen Featherstone's books. Should take a look.

Another I'd recommend is Charles Stewart Grant's "Scenarios for Wargames"

Zhu Bajie

I'm reading Tony Baths Setting up a Wargames Campaign, and what I've read of his Hyboria in 70s Games magazines , he seems to have invented some kind of "Mass Combat Fantasy Roleplaying Game" idea with the players as characters and the umpire as ultimate arbitrator and 'owner' of the world, before D&D. Lol.

Don't know much about Featherstones work, where is a good place to start?

Just John

Wargames Campaigns and Solo Wargames are both well worth a read. Both have been reprinted recently by Curry andd are easy to find. Grants books (both father and sons) are great rewds too, especially The Wargame, although it is forr thhe historical wargamer the principles behind writing rules are still relevant.

Padre

bug16":24xiygv3 said:
Slightly OT but still book related I have to recommend Achtung! Schweinehund! I read it in an evening and it made me laugh pretty much all the way through. :)

It is a GREAT book which seemed (apart from being ever so slightly shifted in time - like 6 or so years - and involving a lot of historical gaming) to feel like I was reading about someone else who had lived my life. I recommended it to friends and they loved it too.

Hetz

Yeah, but the guy is an elitist nob, he doesn't play fantasy as that isn't 'real' wargaming - or some similar sentiment. Wound me up that did, we all play with toy soldiers mate!

Back