Looking for advice for a UK trip

Asslessman

Ok, so this i sgoing to be a completely non-miniature/gaming subject but I have th efeeling some people might help me out on this one.

I've been kindly offered a ferry ticket from Cherbourg to Portsmouth between Monday 5th of August and Thursday 9th of August. I am very happy to have the opportunity to come back to UK since I love both the place and most people I've encounterded.
Anyway...
My mission is to design a discovery loop for my pregnant wife and 2 yo daughter during the 4 days I have in hand. Since I can't afford too much mileage per day (>100 mile) I would have loved your view on these 2 possible loops with any suggestion of course since some of you know the subject better than I ever will.

Loop A :

Day 1 : Southampton
Day 2 : Bath (maybe a stop Salisbury on the way if it's worth it)
Day 3 : Oxford
Day 4 : Porstmouth

Loop A is I think quite tranquille but might be crowded with french people (I'd rather avoid them)

Loop B :

Day 1 : Oxford
Day 2 : Cambridge (I'd like to keep this one , I really love it)
Day 3 : Southend on sea/Dartford or anywhere near the coast
Day 4 : Brighton

Loop B needs more road but still managable I guess.

I've selected places with road and time needed in mind which is why I can't afford to go more in the north. Please tell me if these seem worth the trip to make the missus and kid have a good time and want to come back for more or if there's anything you know which could be better. ^^

Thanks in advance.

PS : I'll have oldhammer T-shirts to wear by then s oshould be easily recognisable if any of you want to meet for a drink!

weazil

Hey Mr...er...Man!

Firstly, I agree with your Cambridge assertion - lovely place.

But, looking at your timelines and passengers, I think you'd best consider a shorter loop, so I'll talk about that one.

Firstly, lets just drop Southampton. It was basically destroyed in the war, so its a glowing testament to 1950's architecture and a monument everywhere to imaginationless design. Its a nice enough place, don't get me wrong, but you've got better things to do.

I would suggest a day in the New Forest, or at least, in Beaulieu - being French, you know how to pronounce that, but here, its pronounced Byoowley. Beaulieu is the home to the Beaulieu Motor Museum, which has an astonishing collection of cars ranging right from the turn of the 20th century until some very modern offerings, including things from Top Gear and some of the Bond cars. Its not all stuff for guys though - there are many interesting vehicles there, so your family should be kept entertained. It also has an Abbey and Manor house to explore, so its not just cars. If you still have time, you could simply potter about the New Forest, where ponies roam freely and you can set up a picnic or something.

I think then your plans to go to Bath are good. Stop by Salisbury to see Stonehenge, but looking at your schedules, you're right - Bath is the better place to see things. Bath of course is famous for its Roman Baths and its popularity during the Regency period (perhaps you or your good wife read Jane Austin?), so it has a lot of interesting history and is generally very pretty. You can actually avail yourself of the spa facilities there, so your weary, heavily pregnant wife will be able to relax in the waters and be treated a bit after all the walking around you will have done by this stage. She might also be interested in the Fashion Museum. I can't imagine what it is the English have to show the French regarding fashion, but nevertheless, its there if you're interested.

Someone else will have to fill you in regarding Oxford. I've never been. I've heard its nice, but have it on good authority that Cambridge is a far lovelier university town than Oxford. I can't comment, but I'm sure its nice there.

Portsmouth is really steeped in Naval history, so it makes sense that you might investigate that. King Henry VIII's favourite vessel (the Mary Rose) has recently been restored and can be seen in the historic dockyards together with HMS Victory (involved in that little Trafalgar incident a few hundred years ago...Nelson someone-or-other...) and HMS Warrior. This is where you get payback for being dragged through the fashion museum in Bath.

I think this loop factors in relatively short driving times with the reality of the time you have available to see the attractions in a meaningful way and still catering to the needs of a pregnant woman and a two year old.

As an aside, if you do pick a route based in or around Southampton/Portsmouth, I'd love to meet up! Hell, if you've got more time (and you probably won't - I understand...), we might even be able to put a game together. You'll need permission from your family, of course. And me from mine. Hmmm...maybe just the drink, then?

Anyway, that's just stuff from the top of my head. I'll update this as other things occur to me.

Chico

You should come to Watford, we have stunning.... er.. Ok maybe you shouldn't come here after all ;)

Asslessman

weazil":3irjzyco said:
Firstly, lets just drop Southampton. It was basically destroyed in the war, so its a glowing testament to 1950's architecture and a monument everywhere to imaginationless design. Its a nice enough place, don't get me wrong, but you've got better things to do.

It actually was my fear since french cities which went through heavy bombing during WWII are not the pretiest to say th eleast. You're confirming my thoughts

I would suggest a day in the New Forest, or at least, in Beaulieu - being French, you know how to pronounce that,

I do, you pronounce it "Beaulieu"

but here, its pronounced Byoowley. Beaulieu is the home to the Beaulieu Motor Museum, which has an astonishing collection of cars ranging right from the turn of the 20th century until some very modern offerings, including things from Top Gear and some of the Bond cars. Its not all stuff for guys though - there are many interesting vehicles there, so your family should be kept entertained. It also has an Abbey and Manor house to explore, so its not just cars. If you still have time, you could simply potter about the New Forest, where ponies roam freely and you can set up a picnic or something.
Lovely programm , car museum, poney and picnics...

I think then your plans to go to Bath are good. Stop by Salisbury to see Stonehenge, but looking at your schedules, you're right - Bath is the better place to see things. Bath of course is famous for its Roman Baths and its popularity during the Regency period (perhaps you or your good wife read Jane Austin?), so it has a lot of interesting history and is generally very pretty. You can actually avail yourself of the spa facilities there, so your weary, heavily pregnant wife will be able to relax in the waters and be treated a bit after all the walking around you will have done by this stage. She might also be interested in the Fashion Museum. I can't imagine what it is the English have to show the French regarding fashion, but nevertheless, its there if you're interested.
The average French I can see in the streets don't seem to be in any position to teach fashion to anyone ^^

Someone else will have to fill you in regarding Oxford. I've never been. I've heard its nice, but have it on good authority that Cambridge is a far lovelier university town than Oxford. I can't comment, but I'm sure its nice there.

Well I know Cambridge quite well, so I'll make my opinion about it

Portsmouth is really steeped in Naval history, so it makes sense that you might investigate that. King Henry VIII's favourite vessel (the Mary Rose) has recently been restored and can be seen in the historic dockyards together with HMS Victory (involved in that little Trafalgar incident a few hundred years ago...Nelson someone-or-other...) and HMS Warrior. This is where you get payback for being dragged through the fashion museum in Bath.

I think this loop factors in relatively short driving times with the reality of the time you have available to see the attractions in a meaningful way and still catering to the needs of a pregnant woman and a two year old.
Never heard of that Trafal-thingee you're talking about...

As an aside, if you do pick a route based in or around Southampton/Portsmouth, I'd love to meet up! Hell, if you've got more time (and you probably won't - I understand...), we might even be able to put a game together. You'll need permission from your family, of course. And me from mine. Hmmm...maybe just the drink, then?
I'll be more than glad to share a drink (a few lead nuggets is probably all I'll manage to get in my luggage but maybe we'll even trade over a pint?)

Anyway, that's just stuff from the top of my head. I'll update this as other things occur to me.

And I genuinely thank you for taking the time to comment and post links the way you have. It's even more than I expected, what are you looking for leadwise? ;)

Chico

Citadel Collector":2a7iyk4q said:
Chico":2a7iyk4q said:
You should come to Watford, we have a stunning gap.

Watford and Watford Gap aren't the same :razz:, Watford Gap is far nicer and that's just a service station lol ;)

And sorry for going off topic... but its all Steve's fault ;)

ardyer

Asslessman":viv3p0zr said:
weazil":viv3p0zr said:
I would suggest a day in the New Forest, or at least, in Beaulieu - being French, you know how to pronounce that,

I do, you pronounce it "Beaulieu"

Don't ever go to Kentucky. They have a town name Versailles--procounced Ver-sail-z, in the heart of Bourbon country--pronounced Bur-ben :lol: Other than that, lovely place!

fuljason

Dude,
Loop 1 for a family visit, unfortunately I am too far north in Birmingham and unfortunately I am currently moving house so I don't have the to put up a young family with all your needs but if you are ever alone and in Birmingham, just let me know I will always put you up and show you a few savage nights on the town
J

fuljason

p.s. you better have a big wallet for Bath, everything has a tourist premium attached. (I know I go every year for my anniversary, damn missus loves the place)
J

Thantsants

You should come to Watford, we have stunning.... er.. Ok maybe you shouldn't come here after all

Hey - don't sell yourself short Chico - you have a lovely... roundabout!

Sorry nothing else constructive to add other than to recommend York if you were ever to make it out of those Southern Heathen lands! :twisted:

Gaj's day out does sound rather nice though.

Asslessman

fuljason":z8omlzfb said:
Dude,
Loop 1 for a family visit, unfortunately I am too far north in Birmingham and unfortunately I am currently moving house so I don't have the to put up a young family with all your needs but if you are ever alone and in Birmingham, just let me know I will always put you up and show you a few savage nights on the town
J
Thanks for the advice, I've just moved house recently and I know what a pain it can be... Good luck to you man! For the time being it's family time but if I get north on solo it may get wild... (I have one year to prepare the missus psychologicaly to the idea of me going alone to the next oldhammer day...)

Zhu Bajie

weazil":2i6p9zy2 said:
I think then your plans to go to Bath are good. Stop by Salisbury to see Stonehenge, but looking at your schedules, you're right - Bath is the better place to see things. Bath of course is famous for its Roman Baths and its popularity during the Regency period (perhaps you or your good wife read Jane Austin?).

Don't listen to Jane, she hated Bath. I did 3 years university there, and it is a lovely place, go for the architecture - definitely do the Circus and the Crescent - there's a large bit of greenery suitable for a picnic in front of that. I imagine most of the pubs and restaurants have changed by now, so can't recommend. Drive past Stonehenge (unless you must), but go to Avebury, it's much more impressive, you can touch the stones and it's free (other than parking) also nearby West Kennet Longbarrow (which you can go inside) and Silbury Hill, Happy Day.

Other than that, Southhampton is a bit of a dump - more fun to be had in Brighton with in the Lanes (overpriced antique/boutique shops) and the beach, but I don't like the place really, has a uniquely unpleasant mixture of seedy and pretentious. Still the Sea Life centeris good for the victorian interiors and fish.

Oxford - don't try and park in the center, costs a fortune, do a park and ride. The Pitt Riversmuseum is awesome, you have to go around with a torch, and it has dinosaur skeletons, shrunken heads, a huge totem-pole and loads of weird stuff, great for kids if they like that sort of thing. There's the Eagle & Child pub frequented by Tolkien / C.S. Lewis, worth a visit for that reason if you're interested. I dare say one episode in The Hobbit is an inside joke referring to it's sign. There's other Tolkien things to see as well.

Asslessman

Zhu Bajie":14zpk8pm said:
weazil":14zpk8pm said:
I think then your plans to go to Bath are good. Stop by Salisbury to see Stonehenge, but looking at your schedules, you're right - Bath is the better place to see things. Bath of course is famous for its Roman Baths and its popularity during the Regency period (perhaps you or your good wife read Jane Austin?).

Don't listen to Jane, she hated Bath. I did 3 years university there, and it is a lovely place, go for the architecture - definitely do the Circus and the Crescent - there's a large bit of greenery suitable for a picnic in front of that. I imagine most of the pubs and restaurants have changed by now, so can't recommend. Drive past Stonehenge (unless you must), but go to Avebury, it's much more impressive, you can touch the stones and it's free (other than parking) also nearby West Kennet Longbarrow (which you can go inside) and Silbury Hill, Happy Day.
I actually read Jane Austin in english during school but I have to admit I don't remember much...
Since both my wife and myself know stonehenge, I was thinking of stopping elsewhere, Avebury sounds really great on another hand, Great tip !

Other than that, Southhampton is a bit of a dump - more fun to be had in Brighton with in the Lanes (overpriced antique/boutique shops) and the beach, but I don't like the place really, has a uniquely unpleasant mixture of seedy and pretentious. Still the Sea Life centeris good for the victorian interiors and fish.

I'll keep that in mind

Oxford - don't try and park in the center, costs a fortune, do a park and ride. The Pitt Riversmuseum is awesome, you have to go around with a torch, and it has dinosaur skeletons, shrunken heads, a huge totem-pole and loads of weird stuff, great for kids if they like that sort of thing. There's the Eagle & Child pub frequented by Tolkien / C.S. Lewis, worth a visit for that reason if you're interested. I dare say one episode in The Hobbit is an inside joke referring to it's sign. There's other Tolkien things to see as well.
Wow, these are great tips too.

Sincere thanks to you too, you really are clearing my mind and helping me see through all of this (except for the 2 of you trolling, ;) )
I really appreciate the time you take to give links and explanations, thumbs up to you.

After the "Lonely planet", "vieux routard" (for french people) and all kinds of travelling guides, I bet the "oldhammer guide" is going to be a new must read !

Fimm McCool

I grew up near Smallsbury as we call it, the cathedral's pretty but not worth a great deal of time, nor is Stonehenge- it#s basically a ring of stones. Meh.

I'd second a trip to the New Forest instead, excellent walks and lovely scenery and tea shops.

Btah I'd also miss out, it's expensive and I've never seen the appeal myself, Bristol on the other hand is awesome. Come spend some time in a vibrant city! Rich in industrial heritage, art, live music and good restaurants!

Just John

Fimm McCool":2wr3f8mh said:
the cathedral's pretty but not worth a great deal of time, nor is Stonehenge- it#s basically a ring of stones. Meh.

Just a ring of stones, JUST a ring of stones you say - that's like saying the lichemaster is just a lump of lead, or or or I'm speechless :o :shock: :grin:

That reminds me of the time I went to see the Temple of Zeus in Athens only to find it closed 2 hours early by the tour guide who said 'its just a pile of old stones, look at it through the fence' and then walked off

Asslessman

Just John":spbgq6w0 said:
Fimm McCool":spbgq6w0 said:
the cathedral's pretty but not worth a great deal of time, nor is Stonehenge- it#s basically a ring of stones. Meh.

Just a ring of stones, JUST a ring of stones you say - that's like saying the lichemaster is just a lump of lead, or or or I'm speechless :o :shock: :grin:

That reminds me of the time I went to see the Temple of Zeus in Athens only to find it closed 2 hours early by the tour guide who said 'its just a pile of old stones, look at it through the fence' and then walked off
What he meant to say is it's just congregated minerals altered by human life forms. Just like this spare Meargh of mine is just some lead alloy in the shape of a fantasy character, really not worth much...

Asslessman

bug16":3vq0gjhe said:
I work in Cambridge and am always up for meeting Oldhammerers for beer! :) Pub of choice is The Elm Tree due to it's selection of bottled Belgian beers.

Well, looks like Loop A is gonna be the thing... But I would apprciate to come back to Cambridge someday since I love the place. I didn't know that pub (though I can't say I've visited all of them), Belgian beers have some of my favourites (hommelbier is one of the best and I happen to get a lot of them form a friend living there. I'll stick with british production this time ! ^^

Thanks

Erny

bug16":133wthnt said:
I work in Cambridge and am always up for meeting Oldhammerers for beer! :) Pub of choice is The Elm Tree due to it's selection of bottled Belgian beers.

I also work in Cambridge used to live there too before moving to Royston. The Elm for a few years was my local, I lived on Clarindon Street just across from the Clarindon an other great pub. There is also the Cricketers and the Free Press very close all good pubs. Do they still have the Jazz in the Elm?

Unfortunately I'm on the Addenbrookes site so getting to the pub for a lunch time drink is a jolly hard as is after work due to kids. Do you live local bug? We could end up having a game before the Oldhammer weekend.

So as not to totally derail the thread other wonderful things to see in the Cambridge area:

Duxford, come see some awesome airplanes. Used to work in Hinxton, had views over old manor house and grounds with spitfires flying over head, was wonderful felt like being transported back in time.

Bletchley Park, more war stuff!

St Albans, Roman ruins.

Plenty of ruined castles, though you have to go up to Norfolk for most. Norfolk really is worth a visit but probably outside your travel radius.

Back