Space Marine Backpacks

Fimm McCool

So, Space Crusade was released in '89 or '91 depending on who you ask- haven't checked the dates in the rulebook, yet the RT space marines of this time are significantly different, particularly in the backpack department. The SC backpacks are the same as the ones from 2nd Ed 40k, did they come first? What was behind the marked difference between the SC marines and their contemporaries? Anyone know?

bug16

Fimm McCool":1tm24s40 said:
So, Space Crusade was released in '89 or '91 depending on who you ask- haven't checked the dates in the rulebook, yet the RT space marines of this time are significantly different, particularly in the backpack department. The SC backpacks are the same as the ones from 2nd Ed 40k, did they come first? What was behind the marked difference between the SC marines and their contemporaries? Anyone know?

SC came out in 1990 and 2nd edition was 1993 so I'm leaning towards the backpacks coming out for SC first. But..! The SC marines look like cheapo versions of the original Space Marine Strike Force metal/plastic hybrid boxed set and the Marines in this boxed set came with the new style backpacks rather than the original RTB01 style backpacks. I can't remember when that came out but it was definitely Rogue Trader era and the models are covered in the Rogue Trader Compilation. I also have a hazy memory of seeing the Strike Force boxed set before SC was released.

Hopefully I've confused more than helped! :grin:

Chico

RTB15 - Space Marine Strike Force came out around the same time as SC, at least in the same year.

zedmeister

From what I 've heard, I believe the "Death Eagle" marines were the prototype minis for the Mk7 armour. Seen here:

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniature ... tors_Guide

These were the first attempt at the new design with the Strike Force marines being the final production design (indeed the basic Strike Force marines went on to be re-used for years until the multipart Mk7 plastic set was released in 1997)

Fimm McCool

zedmeister":2li6q5vc said:
From what I 've heard, I believe the "Death Eagle" marines were the prototype minis for the Mk7 armour.

Which has a certain irony as I'd have though the Death Eagles would favour Beakie suits...

ardyer

Not to derail this thread further, but I've always been curious as to why GW changed up the Space Marine armor the way they did. But I didn't play 40k then, so maybe I missed something.

To make them look more like Imperial Stormtroopers?

Derailing even further, I will not tolerate the "new" (currently produced) backpacks on my marines.

Fimm McCool

Count Von Bruno":1w9j78fi said:
Derailing even further, I will not tolerate the "new" (currently produced) backpacks on my marines.

Quite right too, they're hideous. Have to say the SC/2nd ed are my favourite. Bulky but not ridiculous and with nice vents.

ardyer":3mxnkkzx said:
Not to derail this thread further, but I've always been curious as to why GW changed up the Space Marine armor the way they did. But I didn't play 40k then, so maybe I missed something.

I'd assume it was just a way of rebranding the figure range to generate more sales.

Back