Unit Painting Fun Time (No longer a League/Competition)

Just John

Morning all on this unseasonably sunny Sunday morning in Ireland.

We are approaching 1 year of this forum and I've noticed two things about myself. Firstly my blog is ore or less dormant and secondly I haven't painted anything Oldhammery. The second is probably true of a number of people here too (not all of us a as prolific as Thansants, Blue or Harry to name but a few) I've been watching the wonderful stuff painted for the LPL over on LAF and noticed a few other fora have painting challenges so it made me think - why don't we do something similar here?

What I'm suggesting isn't a competition as such more that a group of like minded individuals set themselves a challenge of painting a unit a month and post the results here. I was thinking people could email a group shot of the unit in bare lead/undercoated to me on the 1st of the month and I could post all the entries into one thread. Then as the units are finished if they emailed me the finished results I would post them at the end of the month. Points could be awarded for size of unit, length of time and then a public vote at the end. Keep it simple and use it more to encourage the slow amongst us to get stuff painted.

What do people think?

Mutantdale

Re: Unit Painting League/Competition

Sounds good to me.. My painting is slowing to a glacial pace at the moment and I need to start painting this lead mountain ;)

MD

Just John

Great - that makes 2 of us so far. I should stress this is not about painting to top notch quality but about getting wargaming standard units ready for the tabletop. Units is a relatively loose term - think a warmachine, 20 infantry, 10 cavalry, 5 trolls, a chaos warband - that sort of thing.

ardyer

I'd love to except that since I pretty much never game, I just paint whatever I feel like. Much of it isn't OldHammer!

Blue in VT

Having run a couple of these over on Bugmans can I suggest a two month time window? That's worked best for us other there.

I'll be back in unit painting mode when the LPL winds up....so I'm game.

Cheers,

Blue

Just John

Well thats two more on board then. When does the LPL wind up Blue? As regards timescale we could start the first one on the 15th of this month and let it run for till the end of July if people think they could be ready by then.

ardyer":2r12vrh4 said:
'd love to except that since I pretty much never game, I just paint whatever I feel like. Much of it isn't OldHammer!

I'm sure we could accommodate you if you want in - this is more about helping people get painting rather than any hard and fast rules.

Blue in VT

LPL finishes next week....after that I'm open.

...and I may have plenty of time for painting as I just fell down the steps yesterday and broke three bones in my right ankle... :? I see some free time in my future...

Will be put a stipulation on unit size? Must include leader and standard? Or leave it free and easy?

Cheers,

Blue

Just John

I think we'll keep it free and easy for the first one anyway.

Blue in VT":1egclpmv said:
...and I may have plenty of time for painting as I just fell down the steps yesterday and broke three bones in my right ankle... I see some free time in my future...

Ouch - coul have been worse though, I always know that if I fall and break any bones they'll be in my wrist

[Shut up Chico :grin: ]

Harry

It may seem like I don't need much encouragement ... but I love this sort of thing.
(I started the whole Tale of painters thing over on Warseer just to help me get stuff painted).

I'm in ... whatever the format.

Just John

Brilliant - we'll aim to start this on the 15th so get picking the unit take the photo and be ready to send it to me.

Chico

Just John":3daq6ixf said:
[Shut up Chico :grin: ]

As if i would make a comment... never!.. honestly i wouldn't say that if you broke your wrist their goes the love life. So ummm..er yeah.

I'm new, unreliable, and a painter of random models...but really am pushing to play some 3rd edition fantasy so will try. My chaos force is on the kitchen table starting at me begging to be painted...

I must win over the pile of lead!!!!

Grumdril

Count me in too. Not done any painting for 20 years, so might be a bit rusty. My first unit will be the world's smallest warband (some unkind dice) , so I can ease myself back in gently

Just John

Welcome aboard Grumdril - we'll leave it a few more days then I'll PM all the victims ahem entrants and we'll try to get the units up y the 15th which is this coming Saturday.

Harry

Just John":3og0lri2 said:
... Points could be awarded for size of unit, length of time and then a public vote at the end. Keep it simple and use it more to encourage the slow amongst us to get stuff painted.

What do people think?
I have been thinking.

1 Point a man, 2 points for Cavalry and three points for big fellas. (Trolls etc)
2 bonus points each for a champion, standard and musician.
x2 if it is Oldhammer enough.

But if it is down to a vote ... the points are only there as a guide.

Just John

Sounds good to me Harry but we might add in some aspect of a public vote too, then we can call it Oldhammers Got Talent or something.

Does anyone know if its possible to get awards under our avatars? Or official titles - that way there is something to 'win'.

Harry

Doesn't need awards.
The win is the motivation you get to paint your stuff and the inspiration you get from seeing other people paint their stuff.
Single minis is OK but there is nothing like seeing complete units and armies come together.

Back