Spellcasters of Khörne [RoC:StD]

Zhu Bajie

Check these illustrations:

Page 201 (Tony Ackland)
Page 170 (John Blanche)

Both appear to show characters with the trappings of magic-users with the iconography of Khörne.

In the original background for the Disciples of the Red Redemption (first mention of Khörne in print) makes no mention of their anti-magic stance. So are these illustrations from an earlier point in development or something else? What do you guys think?

Orlygg

There is also a Khorne sorcerer on the back cover of Slaves to Darkness. As far as I am aware, third edition (as well as second) doesn't prevent you using magic with a Khorne force. Slaves of Darkness explains that magic users are extremely limited in worship of the Blood God, but not impossible to use.

As others have said, RoC went through a long, long development cycle, and many changes were implemented before release. Khorne disfavouring magic being one of them most likely. Bryan Ansell might remember.

Asslessman

Never heard of Khorne sorcerors losing magical level...

Khorne beatsmen shamans are mentionned since they are the ones who summon demons.
There's a world eater librarian too in the STD army list though their main role i sto keep a record of the body count for the chapter.

Grumdril

Slaves to Darkness, p41 - Mark of the gods: Sorcerers lose their highest spell level, etc. There's other bits throughout, I forget the specifics, but Khorne spellcaster champions generally have a hard time. Equally they can't get sorcerers in their retinue. This is all warband stuff though, in the wider 3rd ed. there's nothing to stop casters in a chaos army (quite the opposite) and the god followed doesn't have any impact on selection. It probably should to the general though - if you're picking a magic-based army, don't paint them up as followers of Khorne.

Zhu Bajie

Slaves of Darkness p.41: Spellcasters lose their highest magic level and its spells, power level and magic points.

I take that to mean they are no longer able to cast spells, as they lose all spells and MP, and rather than having a level 20 statline, are now a level 15 statline, which is compatible with:

Slaves to Darkness p.17: Khörne is opposed to the use of any form of magic and does not grant spells to his followers under any circumstances. There are no wizards dedicated to the service of Khorne.

Slaves to Darkness p.201: The followers of Khörne, forswearing all use of wizardry have no spellcasters in their ranks... Champions of Khörne who were once wizards have long since abjured their former heresy and renounced their blasphemous powers.

:roll:

Asslessman

Your reading skill surpass my memory skill ^^

What better proof of your love of Khorne than crushing your foes with a magical staff without using its magic powers...

Zhu Bajie

After 5 posts indicating that Khörne spellcasters are possible, I was starting to doubt my sanity!

It does seem indicate that the strict no-magic policy as being introduced at a late phase in the development cycle, potentially after the art briefs had been completed. Did any sorcerous Khörnate miniatures get released?

Back