Total power. Is there room for 4th in Oldhammer.

weazil

Not adding to the discussion, but it did make me laugh:

and I look at the models in 8th and they're overpriced action figures

Looking at the size of the figures coming out, we're about two editions away from being able to play warhammer with Action Man and Power Rangers. Ninja Turtles of Nurgle, anyone?

I think the thing with 4th edition and the breaking up of army lists into army books was that it moved many 'special' rules from a central place to the army books, meaning

a) you had to have the book to know the rule
b) there was no 'tone' or 'context' (note the ''s) to help establish the application of these rules outside of the army books.

I believe this is what has led to this legalistic establishment of precedent that drives all subsequent versions of warhammer. In the same way that lawyers scour many historical cases in order to describe a precedent, players scour all of the available resources to establish that their interpretation of the army book specific rule is correct. All warhammer forums (its sort of starting on this one, albeit much more slowly and sweetly) are mainly populated with these arguments.

Even though they've actively moved away from this by trying to centralize the special rules in the WFB8 book, too many years of abuse have prevented gamers from capitalizing on that and being able to escape the legal thinking.

Also, 4th ed army books really rammed home these special characters. I don't mind the idea of these as a template, or as a suggestion to have something non-standard, but unfortunately, the legalistic thinking described above basically locked people into the army book definition only, meaning that making your own special characters (and means of developing them) was looked at as an aberration.

I don't recall if 4th ed introduced the idea of turn limits to standard games, but whichever edition introduced that I would consider to be the end of the game. The minute that having 1 human charge a unit of 30 humans because-its-the-last-turn-and-I've-lost-anyway-but-if-he-wins-then-I-might-actually-win-the-game makes sense, then I call bullshit.

Its not all doom and gloom, however. I do have a soft spot for 4th ed. It was the time when I could afford to buy figures, so I fondly remember all of the YMCA poses and massive figures that didn't rank. Loved me those beachball identikit plastic dwarves (or dwarfs, if you prefer) especially.

I am secretly (well, not anymore, I suppose) collecting some 4th ed undead and orcs&goblins. Not a major drive, but 'a long term goal'. I also inquired about buying the original artwork for the 4th ed box, which I would post behind a painted 4th ed boxed set of figures on display (that I've yet to make). At £7000, I decided to pursue other artistic expressions, thus saving myself £6,999 and my marriage.

Zhu Bajie

Erny":2xo7lxpd said:
The problem I have with many of the army books was the big selling point, the background. I found in many cases it was just badly written fan fiction.

This. Apart from the (lack of) quality, the background got too detailed, to filled in. Warhammer became a closed IP system rather than a flexible ruleset to play fantasy games with. Sure I like some aspects of the Warhammer world, especially the Slann and Amazons, but erm, they got dropped.

A secondary problem is that the the lists themselves are designed in an arbitary way.

As to pantshammer, that's just rude ;)

Not as rude as what I wrote first time :)

A more neutral term is needed and I'm plumping for Midhammer (no jokes about Middenhammer). Even HeroHammer and Redhammer are poring scorn on a perfectly nice system. We have old and new hammer so Midhammer makes sense to me. Its Oldhammers shallower but more fun little brother.

Why is "Redhammer" scornful? I don't get that. Disciples of the Redhammer Resurrection sounds cool to me, although they probably got dropped too.

weazil":2xo7lxpd said:
Ninja Turtles of Nurgle, anyone?

I have 25mm Ninja Turtles with Power Weapons from Ral Partha

Erny

Zhu Bajie":17d4jpru said:
Why is "Redhammer" scornful? I don't get that. Disciples of the Redhammer Resurrection sounds cool to me, although they probably got dropped too.

Because the few times I've seen it used it has been in paragraphs that describe it as the awful cartoon period of too much red paint, bad sculpts and uber-heroes.

There is some truth there to be sure but there was also much that was good. To take a name from one of the aspects detractors cite as a problem is to be named by your enemy...

I used to paint orc bows red, nothing wrong with red.

weazil

May I float 'ganghammer' has an option? :) I do remember the armies being smaller than ever before in 4th edition. Most armies were a couple of football teams, who would act as cheerleaders as their fearless leaders beat the stuffing out of all and sundry.

Okay, I'm kidding. Ganghammer will attract the wrong sort of crowds to these forums.

I like Redhammer, though. You know it sticks when everyone knows what you're talking about without having to describe how the name came about.

Blue in VT

Zhu Bajie":1ejtk1li said:
Erny":1ejtk1li said:
The problem I have with many of the army books was the big selling point, the background. I found in many cases it was just badly written fan fiction.

This. Apart from the (lack of) quality, the background got too detailed, to filled in. Warhammer became a closed IP system rather than a flexible ruleset to play fantasy games with. Sure I like some aspects of the Warhammer world, especially the Slann and Amazons, but erm, they got dropped.

A secondary problem is that the the lists themselves are designed in an arbitrary way.

this is another strong negative for me about 4th....the well defined "world" with its lack a flexibility was a real bummer for me. I always loved how the original versions of D&D had no defined world...it was left to your imagination! what a crazy idea I know... :lol: this is why the frame work of fluff I have for the campaign I hope to start this fall with my recruits has very little to do with the actual "known" warhammer world....other than the presence of the same big players...Empire, Chaos etc...

...Set our mind free and your figures will follow!

The other drag of the separate army books was the major outlay of cash it demanded...i was in college at the time and cash was scarce...and being used for other things... 8-) so the idea of buying 8 separate army books at $20+ each was way out of reach for me...we still typically used the old Armies book even while playing 4th ed.

Cheers,

Blue

Padre

Blue in VT":1zdygmps said:
....the well defined "world" with its lack a flexibility was a real bummer for me. ... this is why the frame work of fluff I have for the campaign I hope to start this fall with my recruits has very little to do with the actual "known" warhammer world....other than the presence of the same big players...Empire, Chaos etc...

...Set [y]our mind free and your figures will follow!

This is the reason I like to set my story campaigns in the less officially developed areas, such as my current budding effort in Tilea. Then not only can I go with what feels good, but I can use armies and figures that are not the usual, standard, seen-them-umpteen-times, kind.

Blue in VT

Zhu Bajie":u18n2nyz said:
weazil":u18n2nyz said:
Ganghammer.

I see your Ganghammer and raise you a Gangnamhammer, where you're only allowed to use recasts imported from Korea.

Haha...I first read that as Ganjahammer....which is the Rasta warhammer.... 8-) I think that might be were my money was going in college!

Cheers,

Blue

Naagruz

4th just capitalized on the success of Space Marine, HeroQuest, & Space Hulk by offering a big ready-to-play box with expansions & accessories purchased separately. Definitely a drastic departure from 1st - 3rd WFB, but consistent with GW's other offerings at that time. Part of their quest to broaden the gaming audience & sell more stuff prior to the IPO! :grin:

4th was really it's own game. It was similar to Warhammer, had some of the familiar Warhammer elements, but it didn't really feel like Warhammer.

Orlygg

I have been following this thread with some interest. As a hardcore Old Schooler, I am afraid there is no Warhammer after Third Edition for me. As Zhu has stated, Oldhammer has its soul deeply embedded in those earlier versions of the game. But I will leave you guys to argue the point about where 4th belongs...

However, I would like to wade into the debate about detailed background. Some forum members have stated that pre 4th edition the Warhammer World lacked (for good or evil) established background. I disagree with this. The background to Third Edition is Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and if you look at all the supplements published from the game system from 1986- 1991 and, arguably, those published by Hogshead in the later '90s, there is a massive wealth of detail just waiting to be mined.

Blue in VT

Orlygg":1judwfv5 said:
However, I would like to wade into the debate about detailed background. Some forum members have stated that pre 4th edition the Warhammer World lacked (for good or evil) established background. I disagree with this. The background to Third Edition is Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and if you look at all the supplements published from the game system from 1986- 1991 and, arguably, those published by Hogshead in the later '90s, there is a massive wealth of detail just waiting to be mined.

Point taken...I have no experience of WFRP so I'm not aware of this information in any detail....but my understanding was that it was typically details about a particular city or region...in the 4th ed. army books they set down what would become "canon" (Man... I hate that word when used in reference to WFB!) to later gamers/lawyers a ridged history and geography that you were no longer allowed to "mess with" the way you were in the previous editions. Sure there were world maps in the 3rd ed rule book and a thumbnail sketch of the worlds history but the rest was up to your GM...and thats the way it should have remained IMO.

Cheers,

Blue

Erny

Quite, WHFRP is very place specific and on the whole what is given about armies is restricted to The Empire. There is a bit about one specific Orc horde in the DoomStones but that was just a rerouted AD&D module. I GM'd serious amounts of WHFRP at the same time as playing 3rd while it was current. I loved both but neither came close to the levels of fluff produced for 4th.

I'm certain we'll see a lot more love for4th once the 90's becomes fashionable again. It won't be long. In the meantime I'll be snapping up all the90's bargains on ebay just as I snapped up all the 80's bargains in the 2000s.

Zhu Bajie

The Regiments of Renown write-ups are a good barometer of what constitutes the Oldhammer Background™ But the setting never came first, it was purely incidental, and the great, creative scenarios, Lichemaster, McDeath and the Citadel Journal articles were isolated rather than interacting with a coherent world narrative, similarly WFRP has very little information on anything that isn't the Empire. 4th defintely takes the step towards codifying the IP, making playing in the setting the focus of the game and trying to make everything epic.

Naagruz

Erny":m0wz6xsi said:
I'm certain we'll see a lot more love for4th once the 90's becomes fashionable again. It won't be long. In the meantime I'll be snapping up all the90's bargains on ebay just as I snapped up all the 80's bargains in the 2000s.

If you act quickly, you can corner the market on Marauder Skaven for next to nothing. ;)

phreedh

Regarding the fluff of fourth and onward, two words already mentioned are the main culprits: canon and epic.

It's all related to the "pathetic aesthetic" (as coined by our own Bargle). It was the same in Blood Bowl 3rd edition. All of a sudden, you went from having a slew of nice star players to having just THE BESTEST! Everything had to be AWESOME and COOL! If you wanted to field an ogre, you had to field Morg. You wanted a human blitzer star? OK, here's Griff. He's the best, you know... why would you want anything else? The choices were narrowed down and you didn't have "orc warlord on a wyvern", but rather "Knobgobbler the bringer of everlasting doom and vast discomfort" - and he was in the army list covering two pages and answered for a fourth of a tournament army's points value. The same image was used everywhere, of the same studio painted model. He was on the box, he was in white dwarf, he was in every single batrep and so on...

Once again, I blame the army books. Instead of filling five pages with a nice selection of troops and a little background fluff, GW now had to fill out a while book with ten times as many pages. These prefab heroes lead to cookie cutter armies and I think that's what most Oldhammerers shun from and not the actual rules themselves.

I have never played 3rd, I've played quite some 4th but it was ages ago. When I return to Warhammer, I'm pretty sure it'll be to 4th - but with the ethos of 3rd. I shall be called Truehammer. Death to the false hammerers! ;)

Erny, you up for some editorial work? I wouldn't mind collecting the useful stuff from the army books into one Truehammer Armies book.

Chico

Blue in VT":7zgbsf9q said:
Zhu Bajie":7zgbsf9q said:
weazil":7zgbsf9q said:
Ganghammer.

I see your Ganghammer and raise you a Gangnamhammer, where you're only allowed to use recasts imported from Korea.

Haha...I first read that as Ganjahammer....which is the Rasta warhammer.... 8-) I think that might be were my money was going in college!

Cheers,

Blue

Right i'm up for playing alot of Ganjahammer, ''dude.. dude.. why you green dude, I'm an Orc... ohhhh''

Back