Melnibonean nostalgia

I stripped some more Melniboneans this morning and decided to see exactly what I've got after several years of scouring Ebay (I pity my poor credit card). Being on a bit of a nostalgia trip recently what with those Avenging Knights, here's my Melnibonean army that won't see paint anytime soon. :roll:

DSCN5599.JPG

More ramblings on my blog.

bug16

Love 'em! I've got quite a few myself (not as many as you!) and I'd love to field a full army of them but I doubt I'll ever manage to collect enough spearmen.

Harry":1gy9hayt said:
Wow ... big collection ... very nice. any you are missing?

Yeah, a few bits would be nice.

The other cavalryman axe variant and mounted Elric. 2 Archers (got 1 painted), 3 swordsmen (got 1 painted as well) and in an ideal world 15 spearmen. That lot would see me good and pretty much satiate my 'need' for Melniboneans, unless of course I found some extra stuff going for an amazingly good price. ;)

Blue in VT

:shock: :o :shock: holy cow! Or you could sit on that as a nest egg for retirement! I've never seen so many in one place! There's gold in them there figures!

Cheers,

Blue

Zhu Bajie

Ah man, there has to be a word for the emotion one has when one looks at photos like this, a strange mix of nostalgia, lust, joy, envy.

Oh yeah, it's called jealousy!

:mrgreen:

Zhu Bajie":o6qqkfot said:
Ah man, there has to be a word for the emotion one has when one looks at photos like this, a strange mix of nostalgia, lust, joy, envy.

Oh yeah, it's called jealousy!

:mrgreen:

Should I also have mentioned the full set of Eternal Champion characters sitting in the lead pile? ;)

It's not all showing off though, I've got a woefully small collection of Pan Tangians. :lol:

Chico

Right call me stupid but i'm not quite up on my on knowledge of alot of old lead, what are Melniboneans and what are they from ect?

Cheers
Chico

Padre

A quick search on google will throw out a ton of stuff, but basically they're from the series of fantasy books written by Michael Moorcock about the hero Elric and the land of Melniboné.

ardyer

Chico":3mxufipr said:
Right call me stupid but i'm not quite up on my on knowledge of alot of old lead, what are Melniboneans and what are they from ect?

Cheers
Chico

GW had a licence for the Michael Moorcock books about Elric, which is where they come from.

Yeah, you could say Melniboneans are a mix of High elf and Dark elf, cruel and superior and something of a metaphor for the death of the British Empire in that in the Elric saga they're at the end of their time as the rise of man supercedes them. These models all got absorbed into GW's High Elf line when they lost the rights to call them Melniboneans. I think GW were more focused on WFB at the time anyway than doing anything with someone else's IP. They kept the 8 pointed star of Chaos though which was Moorcock's invention and I think they still pay him to use it! Well that's what I heard on t'internet.

Zhu Bajie

The chaos star was brought up in the Chapterhouse case... I don't think they're paying Moorcock for it.

It's interesting, because although they're called Melnibonéans and GW no doubt go their ideas for their Elves from Moorcocks novels, as portrayals of Melnibonéan warriors are pretty scarce, so they're original concepts in that regard...

Rodney Matthews, whose Elric poster was used as the cover of the Boxed set:

tumblr_lr7h8lyvqx1r15y4io1_500.jpg

was an obvious influence on Jes Goodwins artwork, but the models always reminded me of Pat Mills Terminators from Nemesis the Warlock (started in 1981)...

tumblr_m35s0drIC71r9bspuo1_1280.jpg

Which Begat the Imperium of 40k, but I digress. At the end of the day they're Jes Goodwin sculpts, marketed as Eternal Champion minis, but I recon that was just an excuse for him to do stuff he thought was cool at the time. If they'd been Dark Elves or Black Numenorians or Fast Cavalry Chaos Warriors, I'm pretty sure they've had ended up looking exactly like that as well.

Back