How many landed their "dream job"

exilesjjb

I guess if we all love 3rd ed then we all love the way GW was, I thought I had landed my dream job in 1999 when I became a GW store manager, I tried to run the store the way it should gaming for fun and sharing my love of the hobby.
But after only 11 months with the "company" I had to admit to what my wife had known when I accepted the job, I could not do the job I wanted to and have a life outside which included my family. I regretfully left in 2000 and returned to Warehouse work where I have worked my way back up the ladder to be in my current position.

I still maintain I did not consider it a "job" I loved it but it did not love me back. Now I am a happy guy who works to live.

Do we have any other ex-GW staffers on the boards

ardyer

exilesjjb":94jf0exb said:
I guess if we all love 3rd ed then we all love the way GW was, I thought I had landed my dream job in 1999 when I became a GW store manager, I tried to run the store the way it should gaming for fun and sharing my love of the hobby.
But after only 11 months with the "company" I had to admit to what my wife had known when I accepted the job, I could not do the job I wanted to and have a life outside which included my family. I regretfully left in 2000 and returned to Warehouse work where I have worked my way back up the ladder to be in my current position.

I still maintain I did not consider it a "job" I loved it but it did not love me back. Now I am a happy guy who works to live.

Do we have any other ex-GW staffers on the boards

Thankfully, I'm not. Growing up, my father imparted a very important life lesson on. He loved photography, and I mean loved it. Any excuse he could get to take pictures, and he would do it. He had a degree in photography from a very respected school in the subject and because a professional photographer with an interesting array of clients (including two high profile auto racing tracks). But doing his hobby for a living made him loathe it. He had to quit and it took him several years to rediscover the passion. He always told me "never turn your hobby into a job." And I'm glad I listened because I've heard a number of stories like yours (most ending worse, though) and I'm happy that I haven't ruined it for myself.

That said, it would have been nice to get the old staff discount ;)

Chico

I used to work for GW Watford back in 2002-3 (I even started on my 18th Birthday), I lasted 8 months and in that whole time all i did was buy whole army's by Weight which I've noticed they no longer allow the staff.

When i got the job GW tended to recruit staff from the regulars which gamed in the store.

I have many friends which have joined and left over the years and they all said the same thing.. never work for GW.

Zhu Bajie

The only job I want at GW is not going to be available to me, as the guy who holds it won't be retiring soon, and seeing as my skillz in painting the little mens isn't all that great, I'm not sure I'd ever be a likely candidate, but I've been practicing drawing skulls, so who knows!

exilesjjb

Skarsnik & Old Lead":32oq9gib said:
I've worked there for 14 years and counting.

I've loved every single day of it.
I am sure you are not the only one, great to see but its not for everyone. Believe me if I had not been a family man I would still be there myself (just broke :lol: )

Back