Mighty Fortress and Townscapes

Galadrin

Through not a little bit of luck, I am now the proud owner of a brand new copy of Warhammer Townscapes and a new in-the-box styrofoam Mighty Fortress circa 1988. I'm eager to get going on a major project involving these but unfortunately school has come in the way for now. For the moment, I need your inspiration—what have you done with these sets? Let's share pictures of fortress and city layouts, or just throw some ideas around.

Orlygg

Two classic and evocative sets there. It took me a long time to get a mint copy of townscape, so it will never be built. Thantsants has done some major stuff with the fortress, go check out his blog.

Harry

WHAAAAAAAT!!!!!
Don't make me come over there.
What is the point in tracking them down if your not going to build them?
Crack it open and slap some glue on it.... Or sell them to me. :grin:
I make a point of cracking into every blister I buy, limted addition, ancient, rare ... makes no difference.
Its reason for being is to be painted/played with.

To the OP. I glue mine using super glue ... seems to work a treat. I then base them on 3mm MDF to make them nice and strong. I paint any visible edges of the card. Finally I do the bases just like i do the bases of the minis .... and most important I put them on a table and play games with them. :grin:

Erny

Well I have three mighty fortresses, you need that many to make some of the extra special castles in the siege book. I have some photos somewhere of a city siege we did, massive Chaos force against empire with skaven infiltrating into the city through the sewers to open the gate. Giants and siege towers against cannon in the towers and ranks of halberdiers manning the ramparts. It was awesome but you'll have to imagine it because I'm darned if I can find the photos at the moment.

I have enough complete sets of the old buildings to cut some up and keep for prosperity. It has crossed my mind that scanning them to print for personal use may be OK but I'm not sure how dodgy that ground is. That would be a way to use the buildings and save the old card for prosperity.

For those who like the buildings and disagree with scans for sound IP reasons I have drawn a number of simple buildings in the old school style that I'm more than happy for people to use:

http://ernysplace.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/oldhammer-buildings-for-all.html
http://ernysplace.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/another-free-oldhammer-building.html
http://ernysplace.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/more-free-buildings.html

48474ea4b.jpg

6057e216.jpg

Zhu Bajie

Don't do what I did, build them, put them in the loft for 20 years, let them get damp, mouldy and eaten by wasps then throw them out :(

I think Thantantsants has lots of pictures on his blog.

If I had a mint copy of Townscape I would scan it, print it and build those, leaving the original intact. I think that would fall under UK fair dealing (so long as you don't make copies available to others) .

DaImp

I would most definitely scan in the originals and print them out onto a decent stock card. I see no issue with that what so ever. Plus it allows you to make mistakes and not ruin your precious original.

ardyer

Zhu Bajie":21s5bdo2 said:
Don't do what I did, build them, put them in the loft for 20 years, let them get damp, mouldy and eaten by wasps then throw them out :(

I think Thantantsants has lots of pictures on his blog.

If I had a mint copy of Townscape I would scan it, print it and build those, leaving the original intact. I think that would fall under UK fair dealing (so long as you don't make copies available to others) .

Even if it doesn't, what are the odds you get caught? (assuming no distribution).

I have the mighty fortress, towers assembled and one quarter painted. Unfortunately, it has been one quarter painted since about 1995!

Blue in VT

I'm pretty sure that Orlygg has linked to a .pdf version of Townscapes on his blog. I need to make a bunch of these up soon myself.

Cheers,

Blue

Orlygg

Blue in VT":2a8buie8 said:
I'm pretty sure that Orlygg has linked to a .pdf version of Townscapes on his blog. I need to make a bunch of these up soon myself.

Cheers,

Blue

Yes the pdf is wildly available. Just email me via my blog and i can direct you.

Galadrin

Those are great buildings Erny! The fit exactly with the style of the originals.

I actually have seen the PDF but it is too grainy and too faded to use. I think I will make high resolution scans of the original pages and just build from those. There is of course nothing wrong with making copies for personal use, and I don't even frown in the slightest at the online PDF. That product couldn't be deader than it is as far as GW IP, but if they wanted to rerelease a nice PDF as part of a digitally distributed "classic Warhammer" line like D&D has done, I would be all for that as well. We tiptoe around legality/ethical issues often but ultimately my political stance is pro-playing miniature wargames. Who'da thunk?

phreedh

Galadrin":296bh0qa said:
I actually have seen the PDF but it is too grainy and too faded to use.
I beg to differ... =)

ssb2_16.jpg

While they don't look as sharp as the originals the Townscapes PDF is rather adequate.

Bonus points to the one who can name range and make on all the models used in that game. ;)

Back