When is oldhammer not oldhammer

Harry

Is there a definition of Oldhammer?
(I am assuming it is 3rd edition and older for fantasy?)
What about minis?
Whats the cut off before it stops being oldhammer?
Is it the same? Everything pre 4th edition? (Pre October 1992)
When is something not old enough to be considered oldhammer?

Zhu Bajie

I believe I coined the phrase "Oldhammer" in this rant here: The Oldhammer Contract

Oldhammer is about an attitude, throwing away proscriptive Army Lists and using whatever models you like, from whatever era and whatever manufacturer, not being tied to GW or Citadels "universe", getting a referee or GM to adjudicate, avoiding competitive tournament mentality, and embracing rules complexity.

On the other hand, 1992 looks like a good cut-off date. Perhaps a case for when the unholy trinity of Bryan Richard and Rick ceased to be the creative force behind the game. But then I think some aspects of 8th Edition (mentalist terrain rules for example) are perfectly in-sync with the ideals of Oldhammer.

Padre

Even though I played 1st through 3rd ed (skipping 4th and 5th to continue playing 3rd) then 6th to 8th ed, my playing style has not changed since 1st. Homemade campaigns, homemade armies and scenarios, themed throughout, with house rules here and special rules there, and our own ever evolving campaign systems. Currently I am embarking on a second big personal 'story' campaign where I write story pieces, they stimulate a battle scenario, which then spurs more story - end so on.

So I consider myself an Oldhammerer not because I play old rules systems, but because I play old style. And because I have played since '83. And because my armies contain models from all ages (not so much the 4th and 5th era).

Chico

Too myself, Oldhammer relates to my collects/armys rather then using the old rules. I play current rules and love a good tournement but the figure i use tend to be around the stuff from '83 to '95/6

Naagruz

Oldhammer is everything up to the point before Krell lost his sword. ;)

My interpretation, was anything in the spirit of 1st to 3rd ed WFB. More about finding entertainment with friends through little lead guys than WYSIWYG, rules>cool, brand_X_models_required stuff.

Including older things that were never fleshed out due to studio interest or market forces, like a Half Orc army, seems fitting as well. Mudat's Massive Mob?! :shock:

Back