Blog advice.

Harry

So I see a number of you guys have blogs.
I have visetd some of them a fair bit in the past.
I am feeling a bit left out. :grin:
But I don't know where to start.
I have run various project logs on forums ... but how do you start your own blog?
Is their some site I go to that helps me do it?
Do you have to pay?
How do I start?

Orlygg

most of us just use blogger. its free and very easy to use.

http://www.blogger.com

its all very self explanatory and you learn as you go along. the gadgets can be a little fiddly at times, but trial and error does wonders.

now a blog by the famous harry... now that is something i' d like to see...

phreedh

I second that... Blogger is probably the best way for you to go. I'm saying that as a non-Blogger user too. I'm running a standalone wordpress installation on my own domain and webhost but feel a bit "left out". You get a lot of community things for free, it's easier to get blog exposure and easier for people who use blogger to add your blog to their blog roll (list of links). Also, you get a clear connection between your account (when making comments on other people's blogs for instance) and your blog(s). In addition it's easy for you to keep tabs on all your mates' blogs using your own blog as a hub. All links to other people's blogger blogs get automatically updated and can be sorted by update date - so the most recently updated blog is displayed at the top of the list of links in a sidebar on your blog. Nifty. I need to install plugins, muck around with RSS feeds and such... couldn't be arsed to do it yet. =/

Go Blogger.

Zhu Bajie

phreedh":3j5ce76y said:
I second that... Blogger is probably the best way for you to go. I'm saying that as a non-Blogger user too. I'm running a standalone wordpress installation on my own domain and webhost but feel a bit "left out". etc. etc.

So migrate to Blogger already!

Thantsants

Yeah - never managed to work our RSS feeds but then I am a bit of a Luddite.

Good luck with starting yours Harry - if I can manage Blogger then anyone can!

Harry

Not much luck so far ...

"Harry's blog" was already taken .... :roll:

Now I'm stuck for a good name. :?

Any ideas?

phreedh

Zhu Bajie":2tn8lts0 said:
phreedh":2tn8lts0 said:
I second that... Blogger is probably the best way for you to go. I'm saying that as a non-Blogger user too. I'm running a standalone wordpress installation on my own domain and webhost but feel a bit "left out". etc. etc.

So migrate to Blogger already!
Nah, I like being my own man too much. Plus, it'd be a pain in the ass to move all content once again (I already moved from my hosting company's blog engine to my own wordpress).

Padre

I run Wordpress on my own work web site. It is good.

Never thought I could use it for a hobby blog too. Must look into that.

Harry

OK lets just pretend for a minute I am an idiot.
I am up and running on Blogger biut is not what I thought it was ... possibly
Some of you guys have these lovely sites where you keep all your hobby projects and I can click on links down the side and go look at posts for each army or project. then you have links to favorite sites etc ....

Thats what I want .... how do I do that?
Is there somewhere online that is the idiots guide to building your own website?
How did you guys do it?

Zhu Bajie

When you're editing the post, there are some options on the right hand side, one of those says "labels", click it, and write the name of the project the post belongs to in the box, click "done". Then save / publish the post.

To make sure that appears on the blog, go to "layout" and have a look if there is a "Labels" box there. If not click "Add A Gadget", find the one that says "Labels" and add it.

That should give you what your after.

Let's see it what's your URL?

Thantsants

For links to other sites you need to add another gadget - Link List

You can also add pictures, links to other pages across the top of your main blog page, popular posts and other stuff through the add gadgets button - on the layout options.

Orlygg

Oh the woes of labels and gadgets... I cannot really say anymore than Thantsants and Zhu, but you just have to fiddle around with the options in layouts. There are also lots of gadgets that are external and can be imported by clicking on them on other blogs. Trial and error is your friend here.

Harry

Thanks fellas.
I shall have a play when i have more time.
I can see it will suck up a lot of valuable painting time. :shock:

Orlygg

Harry":2t4944r4 said:
Thanks fellas.
I shall have a play when i have more time.
I can see it will suck up a lot of valuable painting time. :shock:

You' re not wrong there... though, articulate writing (and reading) about old school miniature glory is a very rewarding pastime in its self.

Back