Kitbashes, Conversions & Scratchbuilds from over the years

Padre

In an order dictated by my photobucket albums (i.e. I'm just going to go through them in reverse chronological order) I want to do a thread of my various hobby projects which involved heavy conversions.

So, here goes the first batch ...

PygmyStegadon.jpg

ZombiePiratesHandgunners.jpg

ZombiePiratesSelectGang.jpg

ZombiePiratesTwoCaptains.jpg

ZombiePiratesBarrelofRum.jpg

SkavenPicRatling.jpg

SkavenPicWarpfireThrower.jpg

SkavenPicJezzails.jpg

CorpseCartFrontPlusDriver.jpg

GiantGorillasCompleted.jpg

MarienburgArabsElephant.jpg

SkinksKrox2.jpg

OgreAgrobog.jpg

Scraplauncher9.jpg

OgreManeaters-1.jpg

Scraplauncher10.jpg

Hmm, this may take some time. I'll do another batch tomorrow. If you wanna ask about the madness behind any of these projects, please feel free.

Harry

Re: Kitbashes, Conversions & Scratchbuilds from over the yea

LOL Seems we have even more in common.

From my Lizardman army. Look familiar. :grin:

My first stegadon. (Well, I say 'Stegadon' I mean cheap plastic dinosaur!)

img6107.jpg

Like you love finding cheap plastic toys to supplement my armies.

Loving the pygmies and the big gorillas. Classic!

Thantsants

Great stuff - I love these dinosaur conversions, no doubt inspired by the amazing work of Michael Immig as pictured in WD100

Can't remember whether I've posted up a link to this thread here before or not but if you haven't seen it check it out -

http://ernysplace.blogspot.co.uk/

Nice Lizzies Harry - that Triceratops is a popular guy!

Padre - really like the three Kong brothers with the pygmies and the undead chariot too 8-)

Not to mention that amazing Orc warmachine -

here's another thread with a different take on the same rhino model by one of my favourite LAFers, Deafnala

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=26103.0

Chico

Heh Zombie Pirates.. i had a an army of those once, always made me laugh playing with Zombies that could shoot heh

phreedh

I love the "cellshaded" illustration look of your painting style Padre!

Padre

@ Harry

I love your Lizzies. As you can see I do not do subtle or works of art like yours, but have stuck to my old 'cartoon' style for 25 years now! My (counts as) 'Lizardman' army is Pygmies, and as you showed yours, I thought I ought to show mine (ooeer!)

My three larval slann (counts as Skink Priests):
SkinkPriests.jpg

Terradon Riders:
Feb09-5.jpg

My Stegadon from a different angle:
Feb09-18.jpg

My 'counts as' Saurus Warriors
gorillas5.jpg

The army advances (back when my Boar riders were counts as Horned One Riders):
PygmyArmy.jpg

Salamanders, skirmishers and jungle swarms:
PygmySalamandersandSwarms.jpg

My Slann:
PygMeet6.jpg

My Slann and his Temple Guard, next to my Boar Riders now based as counts as Saurus warriors:
TabRivBat6.jpg

TabRivBat11.jpg

@Thantsants: The 'three Kong Brothers' are counts as Kroxigor (I call them 'Gorillagors'). They were very cheap pound shop toys:
GiantGorillasConverted-1.jpg

But came out well enough considering:
TabRivBat15.jpg

Battle reports using this army include these two:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/in ... #msg362675
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/in ... #msg494661

And that's my pygmies. Now to write another post about something else, and to answer your other comments.

Padre

@ phreedh: Glad you like it. Some people hate but I can't change as I got stuck with it a long time ago and I am too stubborn to change!

@chico: Undead Pirates, gotta love them. They never win battles, but they're great. And as for zombie hangunners - remember the Luthor Harkon WD list rules - they hit themselves every time they roll a 6. This means they become a way of gifting points to the foe - I have had players goading me into shooting them!

Regiment:
ZombiePiratesRegiment.jpg

Another Regiment:
ZombiePiratesExEmpireRegiment.jpg

The Ridiculously big Cannon whose name I forget:
ZombiePiratesBigCannon.jpg

ZombiePiratesonShip.jpg

Bloated corpses:
ZombiePiratesBloatedCorpses.jpg

(My version of) Luthor and a Captain:
ZombiePiratesLuthor.jpg

Oh, and for the hell of it this was a fun photo of zombies I did for a very old story:
Bragovo18.jpg

Thantsants

Aye the Gorillas came out brilliant considering - along with the hordes of pygmies 8-)

Love the zombies - that cannon will come in handy when your pencil runs out of lead ;)

Zhu Bajie

really like your painting style, cracking stuff!

who makes that triceratops?

Padre

Thantsants":coi1m21p said:
Love the zombies - that cannon will come in handy when your pencil runs out of lead ;)

Oh, you noticed, you nimble eyed hawk! It is useful to have a sharpener close at hand when you're recording casualties during the game.

Zhu Bajie":coi1m21p said:
really like your painting style, cracking stuff! who makes that triceratops?

Thanks muchly. I have had that triceratops way too long to recall where I got it from. Probably some museum in Glasgow.

Now I really must crack on with my theme ... another batch of 'kitbashes, conversions & scratchbuilds':

Cathayan House
CathayHouse8.jpg

And with its neighbour
A4D3b.jpg

Gobbo Pirates
GobPirates1.jpg

And their unit fillers
GobPirates4.jpg

Gobbo Pikes:
PaintedPikeGobs2.jpg

PaintedPikeGobs4.jpg

PaintedPikeGobs3.jpg

Greenskin Looters (baggage)
Looters2.jpg

Looters3.jpg

Orc Crossbows
Bolters6.jpg

Bolters5.jpg

Carroccio
Carroccio4.jpg

Carroccio7.jpg

Above on parade in Tilea:
carroccioparade2-1.jpg

Now I gotta go and put two babies to bed. Aaah, RL.

I will continue this thread with another batch asap.

Thantsants

More great stuff - I particularly like the Cathayan and Tilean scenes 8-)

Gobbo looters are fun too!

Isn't the Triceratops from the Invicta range - I was/am a big Dinosaur fan and remember coveting those models when we were treated to the odd trip to the Natural History Museum.

Padre

Thantsants":mk95es2d said:
More great stuff - I particularly like the Cathayan and Tilean scenes 8-)

Those pictures are lifted from the internet moderated campaigns I have taken part in. Proud to say I have won the major 'fluff' awards in several ('fluff' being what we call the stories and projects between the battles).

Thantsants":mk95es2d said:
Gobbo looters are fun too!

Yeah. And they were fun to write a little fluff piece for ...

Lovely Loot

OrcBaggage1.jpg

“Ow much longer do we ‘ave to pull this lump of a cart?” came Hafdi’s complaint for the fourth time, though this time with an added twist, “’Cos me back ain’t gonna hold out another mile. Maybe we oughta stop?”

The goblin Toggler didn’t bother looking at Hafdi, for he had grown tired of two things in the last hour - the first was the physical effort of lugging the wagon in question, the second was the orc’s nigh-on incessant complaining. He didn’t look, but he did answer.

“Oh, I see how it is. You’ve got a gammy back, and yer feeling tired. That’s a shame, ain’t it, ‘cos I reckon it means we is gonna have to leave all this loverly loot ‘ere an’ get off back to the camp without it. Still, what’s an evenin’ glugging on the red stuff and countin’ up all the shinies we gets for our share compared to having a bit of a poorly back? No competition there - I’d much rather get told off for leaving the cart and spend the evenin’ drinking stinking puddle water and being clouted by every bad tempered orc in the camp than have you a bothered a tad by yer achin’ bones. Better yet, Guldag could ‘ave us both hacked into likkle pieces and served to the boars for their supper. Aye, yer not wrong, better that than you suffer a twinge or two above yer nether regions…”

OrcBaggage2.jpg

His rant was cut short by a squeaky scream issuing from behind them. “Keep movin’! Go faster! Wheeeeee!”

Toggler acted all surprised by this outburst from the drunken Snotling Doodo, who was riding on the cart due to the fact he couldn’t even reach the pole properly.

“Now would you hear that, Hafdi?” said the goblin. “It seems Doodo don’t share mine and your enthusiasm for getting beaten to a pulp fer disobeyin’ orders. Seems he’s castin’ his vote against our joint opinion. Now there’s an unexpected turn!”

Hafdi was frowning, an expression he adopted whenever he was trying to follow what Toggler was saying. This is not to say he pulled the expression often, because normally he did not bother listening too close. But this time he was listening.

“You reckon dat dey is all gonna beats us up if we leaves it behind?” he asked.

“Oh, you heard that bit,” said Toggler. “Yeah, that’s what I think and that’s what they’d do. Beat us good and proper. Might be a good cure for your aching back, ‘cos I reckon you’ll stop noticing the back-ache what with all the new pains up and down yer body.”

“All I was asking was how long….”

Toggler shouted his response before Hafdi had completed the question: “As long as it takes, you hear, ‘cos if we don’t do as we is told then we is in so much bovver dat it will be well and truly over for all three of us.”

The words came too fast for Hafdi, so the exact meaning was lost. It did not matter, however, because Toggler’s raised voice was meaning enough.

“We pulls da cart, den,” said Hafdi.

Toggler gritted his (remaining) teeth, and wonder how long it would be before the unusually dim-witted orc forgot the entire conversation and began asking all over again.

Padre

Now to continue my little quest ...

Scratch Built Doomwheel:

Doomwheel7.jpg

Doomwheel5.jpg

Doomwheel8.jpg

Converted RatOgre for Character Mount:

ScabscarConversion6.jpg

ScabscarConversion5b.jpg

Kit-bashed WarpLightning Cannon:

WLCannon12.jpg

WLCannon11.jpg

WLCannon10.jpg

WLCFluff3.jpg

(What follows was my previous effort from years ago ....

WLCFluff1b.jpg

... which somehow looks a bit silly now ...

WLCFluff4.jpg

Heavily modified Skaven Catapult:

NewCatapultMontage.jpg

Another Kitbashed WarpLightning Cannon:

NewCannonRedone2.jpg

More to follow soon.

(I do have pictures of how most of these were constructed but I don't want to overclutter this thread - a tendency I am all too prone to!)

Thantsants

Wow - the skaven warmachines are amazing. Very skaveny 8-)

I bet there's a confused imperial engineer or two wondering where his nice shiny steam engine ended up :lol:

Nice little story about the looters too - not to get too deep on a Thursday evening but I felt there were certain existential undertones in there.

You should flesh it out into a full stage play where they never get to where they're going but have the same conversation over and over agina and call it Waiting for Gobbo ;)

Padre

Thanks, Thantsants. Boy, that's fun to write - so much so, I have to say it again, thanks Thantants. Thanks. :grin:

The story is a theme I keep returning to in different contexts - two guys, archetypes in the Laurel and Hardy mould. It's just so easy to write a conversation between such fellows.

I'm a bit annoyed the pictures of the skaven war machines don't have the proper crews on them (if any at all) but I must have taken them before the crew were done. Impatient me.

Will definitely do another batch of pics tomorrow, after all, everyone who works in schools has some free time on Friday evenings.

Padre

Hmm, free time I do indeed have, though whether or not sitting in my cellar, utterly knackered, at 10.30, after an evening of household chores and little ones trying not to go to bed, can be called quality time, I know not. Instead of painting, I'll continue this thread ...

Pumplidoodies ...

Pump10.jpg

Pump6.jpg

Pump9.jpg

and

PumpB9.jpg

PumpB8.jpg

PumpB10.jpg

Goblin Pike ...

PikeGobs8edb.jpg

GSCW12.jpg

(Here they are creeping through the woods, not easy to do when carrying pikes ...)

PrequelPic2.jpg

Tents and Pavilions ...

Middenlandcampearlymorning1.jpg

Bar scene (kind of a conversion and kit-bash, but straying into photo diorama territory. Maybe I should do another thread of 'scenes' like this?) ...

NewsletterVMCAd2.jpg

Ironblaster ...

IronBlaster9.jpg

IronBlaster11.jpg

IronBlaster10.jpg

More gobbo pirate unit fillers ...

NewGobPirates2.jpg

NewGobPirates3.jpg

Ghoul unit fillers (bad photo warning) ...

GhoulsUnitFillers.jpg

Ghouls (here I tried not to do cartoon-style painting on the more recent figures. I didn't/don't like the results and I blame the enamels I paint with. I'll not 'go here' again!) ...

GhoulsRegimentFromTop.jpg

Initial fiddlings to create a Luminark ...

NewEmpMachine1.jpg

...leading to ...

NewEmpMachine3.jpg

Sorry ... pc misbehaving ... all web pages = 'unresponsive' ... now taking two minutes to extract each photo link from photobucket ... will return later to post the next pic of my luminark (completed). My pc is 12+ years old, and it can swallow great gobbets of time if I am daft enough to let it. Maybe I really should get a new one?

Padre

I think my machine is working now (my other half upstairs can now hear maniacal laughter drifting up from the cellar!).

So, to conclude my foray into the stuff I have made/painted which I have web pictures for ...

The finished machine ...

NewEmpMachine9.jpg

NewEmpMachine12.jpg

NewEmpMachine10.jpg

NewEmpMachine11.jpg

New Maneaters ...

NewManeaters1.jpg

And finally one of my current projects, Tilean urban scenery ...

BusyWithBuildings.jpg

Now I'm wondering how much stuff I have that never was photographed, stuff from the pre-interweb era that now seems so, so long ago? Or even the almost mystical age before mobile phones. Might look through some boxes tomorrow.

Harry

Wowsers ... Your Warwagon, luminark, Skaven and other warmachines here are works of genius. Insane genius .... but genius all the same. :mrgreen: I just wouldn't know where to start but you just seem to have thrown together these wonderful, unique, believable, contraptions .... so much nicer than the straight from the box, same as everyone else, bog standard warmachines we see all the time. I really must give this a try and see what I can come up with.

Oh .... and I love the ghoul defending his dinner. Classic. May give that a go too.

Chico

Arhhh for the Zombie Pirates it was all about the Deck Gunners and The Queen Bess (The big ass cannon), spend coundless hours making and painting them. Never did get a game as when i got evicted in '08 they and large lot of stuff ended up being left behind. :(

Back