Tony Ackland Interview Ideas!?

Orlygg

Hello, and happy new year everyone. Its been sometime since I have dwelt here on our forums and I hope that recent days have been kind to you all...

I have managed to contact former GW artist extraordinaire Tony Ackland and he has agreed to allow me to publish some unpublished drawings and sketches from Slaves to Darkness and the general '3rd Edition Era'. He has also generously agreed to be interviewed on the subject of his time with GW.

Trouble is, I am no journalist and am unsure what to ask him beyond 'when did you start... what is for favourite picture..? Zzzzzzz!'

So community, any ideas of what to ask?

Zhu Bajie

Hi Orlygg, good to hear from you.

Cool. I'd ask Tony:

What was it like working with Bryan Ansell + other studio members (Perrys, Blanche)?
In the early days did you get much creative freedom? Which came first, the miniatures or the drawings?
The 1st Ed. Dark Elves (which Tony did a lot of concept art for) what were the inspirations behind the Cold One riders and weird armour styles?
Do / did you game, actually play Warhammer or D&D? Favourite systems etc.?
Major art influences?
I get quite a strong swords-and-sorcery vibe from Tony's work, what are his favourite fantasy novels, movies etc.?
Art work outside of GW before/after?

bug16

Zhu has beaten me again with a number of the questions I was going to ask! :grin:

How did he become an artist? Art school or self taught?
So, I'd add which pieces of his are his favourite from that time?
Did he own any Warhammer armies, if so which ones?
Does he still own them?

Thantsants

Good questions guys - how about asking him about his time with Harlequin Miniatures?
I'm a bit hazy on the details but wasn't he involved in writing various rules sets - Raven and Laserburn seem to crop up on Google in association with his name?

Cheers
Steve

Zhu Bajie

I just thought - didn't Tony also do concept work on the Fimir and Zoats? Be interested to hear what he has to say about those.

Thanks A LOT for the interview!
I must confess I had no idea who was hiding behind the name but when I saw the first pic on the blog - memories of my youth striked back :lol:
Really: I can see myself hypnotized by WHRP rulebook at my friend's place ~15 years ago.
Beautiful days :)

Back