WFB 3rd Smaller Battles

WARDUKE

Hi folks,

I have been putting armies together for several years now based on the lists in the Warhammer Armies book, and have only played
a single battle of WFB 3E in all the time I have been collecting.

When I look at the army lists, for say...Orcs & Goblins and Dwarfs...The minimum unit sizes for some of the units result in fairly
large armies. For Orcs & Goblins, minimum 20 Boys, 20 Arrer Boys, 20 Goblin Stickas, 20 Goblins. For Dwarves, 20 Crossbowmen
40 Warriors...Etc.

Although I have sufficient models for that scale of Army/Battle, I would really like to introduce the game (and learn to play it fully
myself) though some smaller battles. That being the case, my question is, when you guys play smaller battles, do you just create
your forces from the WFB 3E rulebook, or how do you determine force sizes and whatnot?

Thank you.

Zhu Bajie

Re: WFB 3rd Skirmishes

Thing with Skirmishing with 3rd edition is most of the Manouvers are designed to handle large blocks of troops and don't really work very well with small units (so just ignore manoeuvres). That out of the way, just set a points allocation for each side, and make appropriate warbands and ignore the Warhammer Armies minimums. You might want to set a limit on Wizards and Heroes, but games where the sides are points balanced but asymmetrically powered can be fun too.

WARDUKE

Re: WFB 3rd Skirmishes

Thanks Zhu.

I guess my title is misleading, so I am going to change it to "smaller battles" instead of "skirmish."
I think what I am looking to do is something like:

• A single hero.
    Two units of 10 warriors.
    One unit of 10 archers.
    One war machine.

Something along those lines.

If going that route, would you guys stat everything out based on Warhammer Armies Book and just ignore minimums?
Is that kind of battle going to be fun in WFB 3E?

BobbiJay

My understanding was that the minimums in Warhammer Armies was always based on 3000 point armies. For smaller battles, simply reduce the proportions of each minimum by the appropriate factor. They used this principle when discussing showroom armies a couple times in WD magazine, most memorably (for me) was the 1000 points of Dark Elves in 144.

I'm sure it's mentioned in Warhammer Armies, but for the life of me I can't find my book right now.

We play a lot of 1000 point games. We just choose what we want. My army is based out of 3rd ed. Rule book...while bulldoglopez uses Armies. I think BlueinVT uses armies as well. Anyway we don’t fiddle with min/max or really check our points. It’s more of a guideline to us. Just focus on narratives and play to have fun. So I think you will have fun with your hero and 3 units and war machine.

WARDUKE

Thanks for the response folks.

That Dark Elf army mention in White Dwarf #144 you referenced BobbiJay helps a lot. It specifically mentions reducing the minimums to 1/3 or 2/3s less than the 3000 point army baseline in the Armies books.

Back