Laserburn - what was it like?

SamusDrake

Word on the street is that 40K: RT is the successor to two games called LaserBurn and Imperial Commander. I joined the party with Space Crusade and Hero Quest, back in 1990 so I guess I must have missed them.

Yet, some of you appear to be very familar with those two games. Would anyone like to share their memories and thoughts on these two - I assume - "classic" games?

They're actually both still available for cheap if you wanted to make your own mind up: https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/15mm-laserburn-and-asgard-ranges

As far as they go, Laserburn is the skirmish ruleset (10-20 models) and Imperial Commander are the larger-scale (20-50 or so a side) warfare rules. I've not played IC, but Laserburn was quite good fun, as far as it goes. It certainly has some of the proto-40k background in there.

There's also 'Combat 3000' that's worth a look, as it with written by Rick Priestley and Richard Halliwell in the late 70's.

SamusDrake

I completely overlooked that they are selling the original rules for only £7! I must throw some business their way... 8-)

Thanks for the heads-up, Diesel!

SamusDrake":2pncdnva said:
I completely overlooked that they are selling the original rules for only £7! I must throw some business their way... 8-)

Thanks for the heads-up, Diesel!

No problem, it's considerably easier to get now than when I had to cycle the ten miles from home to Tabletop Games in Nottingham back in the early 80's! :lol:

PantherV

My Dad and I played a LOT of Imperial Commander about 10 years ago now (he played it regularly when it was originally released, being old and decrepit and what not) and enjoyed it. My thoughts on it are as follows: play it in 15mm, we did it in 15mm as we had loads of stuff for it and used 1/72 scale kits to convert for vehicles. We attempted to scale it up to 28mm and it crumbled horribly! Even with 5 figures a side as a test it just didnt feel right and the scale descrepency was problematic. Also limit yourself on vehicles, I would suggest sticking to armoured transports and similar at most. We crammed our games with tanks, flyers etc we even tried titan equivelents but again it broke the system. It works well at the prescribed 30-50 infantry figures and a few transports but in our games it never coped with 'armoured engagements'.

I hope this is of some use to you, please let me know if you play any games I'd like to hear how it played out for you?

Tom

SamusDrake

Nottingham seems to be the Disney World of Tabletop gaming. Went there for holiday a few years ago and I simply could not find my way around the city center so I settled for breakfast in Dunelm Mill and then went back to the hotel. Nightmare of a place! ;)

I will at least get the rule book and some of those delightful minis from Alternative Armies. Perhaps a battle report, no? :twisted:

Back